Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bedbugs - LOTS OF QUESTIONS

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 2:50 pm
I went to dr today and may have bedbugs. She said it could be scabies, don't know. I'm the only one itching an d I went oot a month ago. She prescribed a cream for scabies and said we should all be treated twice, vacuum beds, wash linens. That's for the kids. Teenagers thank Gd. For my husband and me she said we should bag everything we can't put in high heat and focus on clothes and upholstery.
So questions. If we clean our room really well and find no evidence, do we assume it's not bedbugs? Can this be under control before yom tov for guests? What abourt having guests for Shabbos meals this Shabbos? TIA!!!!!!!!

gittelchana

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
I went to dr today and may have bedbugs. She said it could be scabies, don't know. I'm the only one itching an d I went oot a month ago. She prescribed a cream for scabies and said we should all be treated twice, vacuum beds, wash linens. That's for the kids. Teenagers thank Gd. For my husband and me she said we should bag everything we can't put in high heat and focus on clothes and upholstery.
So questions. If we clean our room really well and find no evidence, do we assume it's not bedbugs? Can this be under control before yom tov for guests? What abourt having guests for Shabbos meals this Shabbos? TIA!!!!!!!!

Before you turn your house upside down, call a sniffing dog to determine if you actually have bedbugs or not.

Kitten

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 3:36 pm
The first thing you should inspect is your beds. Unless you have a huge infestation, which doesn't seem to be the case because you would see them, bedbugs nest where you sleep. Turn the beds upside down and check. Also, bedbugs leave blood spots on the sheets because you crunch them while sleeping. If you don't find anything, it's probably something else.
If you live in an apartment and your neighbors have bedbugs, get a plastic mattress cover and wrap your mattress. The same if you have a bed box under it. This is a very efficient preventive measure.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 3:44 pm
Thanks. I do see two spots on a sheet but these are ancient sheets and could have been there.
my plan is to have all the kids do the treatment, wash their linen and put zipped and taped protectors ont he mattresses and pillows. I'mcleaning an extra bedroom and putting all of mine and DH's stuff there and will very slowly and systematicllly clean our room.
I thought the dogs are part of a package you have to commit to.

Kitten

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 3:57 pm
If you don't see new spots appearing in the coming days, it's probably not bedbugs.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:26 pm
OMG no dogs!!!! they are a scam. we were scammed!!!! we paid a fortune for a treatment because of a dog and there was never any evidence on our beds. we never had them. just a mosquito problem. we found that out when we called an exterminator who actually checks the beds and furniture.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:57 pm
Wow. SO the dogs are really a scam? I'm OP and a friend who knows bugs looked at me and some shells and thinks it might be bedbugs. I don't want to full around and I'm callingfor estimates tomorrow.I'm NOT in NY. I don't want to say where. What should I look for? I heard that heat treatment is the most effective. Any lists of questions, experiences? Do I tell family members who booked their tickets for yom tov or assume it will all be behind us by then?

gande

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:23 pm
I had them a while back. They usually stay where they get the food(your bed) so focus on that. I had only one spot on my linen. We found that they we're living in my boxsping. Once we tore that open and sprayed chemicals (was cheap exterminater) it was gone for good. Was told not to worry about clothes. Put protecters on all the beds in the house as a precaution. Good luck!

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:33 pm
How did you find out they were so localized?

nyer1

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:13 pm
Please do NOT have guests until u are absolutely 100% positive it's NOT bedbugs !!!!!!!!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 7:01 am
amother wrote:
OMG no dogs!!!! they are a scam. we were scammed!!!! we paid a fortune for a treatment because of a dog and there was never any evidence on our beds. we never had them. just a mosquito problem. we found that out when we called an exterminator who actually checks the beds and furniture.

I don't have time to do more research but I found this http://bedbugger.com/2010/03/1.....know/
So the update is, someone came and did a free visual home inspection. He said that he would find it in the boxsprings and didn't find anything besides some spider sacs. Maybe that's what my bites are. And the dots on my sheet didn't look suspicious and all the shell fragments I'd bagged when I swept weren't bb. He gave us some options. We bought a trap that should find something in a week to ten days but really could be up to 60.
I'm really on the fence with having the dogs come. Does anyone have positive experience?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics