Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
I need a Chessed. Any takers?
1  2  Next

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:48 pm
I have an appointment in Philadelphia for dd on Monday, and she will be getting casts on both feet. Dh can't take us because he has a final in college that night.

There's a temple that is affiliated with the hospital we use, and they provide rides when they can (so far they haven't been able to find us anyone)- otherwise, they are wiling to pay $140 to any driver I can find to take us there and back. That would mean driving us from NY to Phillie in the morning, waiting there for probably a few hours until our appointment is over, then driving us home. I haven't found anyone who was able to drive us though.

I can get to Philadelphia by bus and train, but the train station by the bus is not handicap accessible, so I'm worried about coming home that way. If someone who lives in Lakewood or Philadelphia or Cherry Hill or somewhere near there is willing to drive us home, the temple would probably pay something, though probably not the whole $140.

So, do you know anyone who might be interested? Or any way I can get a ride? I tried calling Chessed in Williamsburg, but the menu was all in Yiddish, so I didn't know what to choose. Dh will try them tomorrow, but that's our only hope so far. I'm not sure they would be willing to help us.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:56 pm
I would be willing to call chessed for you as I speak Yiddish. PM me if you're interested.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:05 pm
Thanks, but dh is quite fluent in Yiddish. He called when he got home from college tonight, and they said to call back in the morning. That's the one thing we can take care of ourselves. Beyond that, there's nothing else I can think of to do. I'm beginning to feel a bit desperate. Monday is coming in just a few days.

wispalover

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:10 pm
Are you on FB? There is a group called "whats for supper". They go out of their way to help fellow Jews and I am constantly impressed with individuals on there and the way they go all out to help others. Might be worth a shot...

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:19 pm
That's nice. I am not on facebook though, and I would really prefer not to join now.

gila-rina

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:57 pm
Found in Torah Times: Heimishe experienced lady driver, minivan for hire by/hour/day/trip, long distance, reservations accepted, references available. 347-409-7478
Refuah sheleima

BA

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:08 am
I wonder if Chai Lifeline could help you out
or Achiezer

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:12 am
Thank you. I will call her IY"H, though it sounds like she may want a lot more than $140. If she lives in NY, it would be a full day affair, and the gas and tolls will cost around $50 or more. If she lives close to Philadelphia and only take us home, she won't be offered the full $140 because the temple would pay for our trip there by bus with some of that money.

Depending how much she would charge, it might be an option though. It can't hurt to call her.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:15 am
BA wrote:
I wonder if Chai Lifeline could help you out
or Achiezer
I called Chai Lifeline. They asked me who my case manager is, I said nobody- dd is not a Chai Lifeline kid- and they said someone would call me back. But I didn't even ask about that ride- I was asking about meals and sleeping arrangements and rides to and from the hospital when dd has surgery, which will be in a month. Maybe I should call back.

What's Achiezer?

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:20 am
Achiezer is based in the FR/ 5 towns area and is a very helpful resource for a lot of things.

I wish I could help you! I don't drive and have been in a similar situation before when I had an important appointment and my husband had to fly out of town for a close family members Levaya. Hugs to you and I hope everything goes well!

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:23 am
Call askan.org they help with all these sorts of things and will probably do it for free.

kb

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:26 am
Chai Lifeline is a great organization - they don't limit themselves to cancer at all. I suggest you call back and see what they can do for you.

gold21

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 12:55 am
Bikur Cholim in Brooklyn?

Good Luck

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 6:52 am
Thank you so much guys! Now I have more people to call today. I'll look up their numbers online- if anyone has the numbers though, you can post them or pm me.

I'm not sure what bikur cholim in Brooklyn is, and that number may be hard to find online, but I'll try.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 7:04 am
Okay. I found all the numbers. Thanks.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 7:06 am
kb wrote:
Chai Lifeline is a great organization - they don't limit themselves to cancer at all. I suggest you call back and see what they can do for you.
I know that quite well. They have helped my family numerous times, and only one of the cases was for cancer..I will call them again today. Thanks.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 7:21 am
Askan .org 518-217-7888

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:10 am
You can try Bikur Cholim in Lakewood. 732 905 3020. Even if they can't get you a ride all the way to NY, maybe they can get you a ride to Lakewood and you can take the frum bus to NY. Refuah Shlaima. I hope you find someone quickly.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:54 am
Thank you. I feel kind of stupid now. I spoke to the person from Chai Lifeline and she told me that all I need is someone to drive me to the bus. I don't know why I didn't think of that. embarrassed The bus is not a problem, only the train was a problem. She even said they have taxis. She said to ask the people in the hospital for a taxi's number.

SO, if someone is going from that area to NY anyway, a ride would be appreciated, but it has lost its urgency. We do have a doable option even without a ride.

I am also waiting for a call back from Achiezer. We'll see what they say. Askan doesn't provide transportation to appointments or hospitals.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 11:21 am
I sent you a PM. It has the direct number of the guy at askan.org. He is trying to help you, but needs your info.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics