Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Am I REALLY the only one?!!??!
1  2  Next

Do you care if the belt at your supermarket is dirty, wet, sticky etc?
I don't care. I just throw my stuff on.  
 10%  [ 14 ]
It bothers me. I hate to place my items into garbage.  
 89%  [ 120 ]
Total Votes : 134

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 9:34 am
I visited my local kosher supermarket this morning. The checkout belt was really dirty, I mean really. It had stuck on gook on it that looked like it has been there for a while, liquid all over, and some powdery white substance to boot.
I quietly asked the cashier for a paper towel to clean the belt (which he should do). Just my way of asking without being confrontational.
He did not even have a paper towel at his station. So he had to go looking, and came back with a few pieces. He loaded a good amount of windex onto a rotating belt, and couldn't possibly wipe it all with the few pieces of paper that he had. So he just stood there, with the belt rotating...waiting for it to air dry.
Now there is a line forming...and people are getting annoyed. I totally understand. By then I was fuming inside too.
So the cashier makes a loud announcement to the line, " She wants clean and dry!"
And then the rumblings started.
I told him that he should clean his belt before the day starts (this was still morning).
He said that in 6 years that he has been working there, I am the only one that has ever had an issue with a dirty belt.

Ladies, please weigh in. I am I really only one? Do you care if the belt at your supermarket is wet? dirty? sticky? Does it bother you more if you see milk all over the belt?

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 9:44 am
I've seen the checkout person cleaning the belt. (unasked) I think in my supermarket they keep some paper towel and cleaning spray right there.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 9:47 am
hardly notice...

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 9:49 am
I hate when it's dirty. My kids already know, when they help me unload the wagon they have to be very careful to avoid all dirty or sticky spots.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 9:51 am
Ruchel wrote:
hardly notice...

Do you notice your own countertop?
I don't mean this in a bad way. I am just trying to understand. I know that we all have different standards in this area, so I am trying to understand if that is all there is to it. Or if people have different standards in their own homes v. outside of the home.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 9:53 am
If in 6 years you were the only one who complained, does that mean it hasn't been cleaned in 6 years shock ? A little spill or dirt doesn't bother me, but from what you're describing, it would. I don't think I'd say anything though and just not put my items down and hand each one to the cashier.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 9:57 am
I would not put my items down if it's dirty, wet or sticky.
You are definitely not the only one.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:02 am
Just because the cashier said it doesn't mean it's true. You must have been shopping in a small mom and Pop shop. The bigger supermarkets usually have paper towels by their spot and I always see them cleaning the belt.

monseychick

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:09 am
EWWWW.... Shop somewhere else

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
Do you notice your own countertop?
I don't mean this in a bad way. I am just trying to understand. I know that we all have different standards in this area, so I am trying to understand if that is all there is to it. Or if people have different standards in their own homes v. outside of the home.

I notice, yes, but probably less than many here. I also don't think" germs", don't disinfect etc the way other people from other cultures may. Dirt is life Wink
It takes a lot for a shop to disgust me. I've been disgusted by some shops in hot countries with reeking fish or bugs in veggies, yes. I almost threw up in a China market/shuk. All cultural because others weren't being sick and my own husband said it was not fancy France...

Also, not my home... I don't want anything left to fester by me, but in the shop? their problem.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:30 am
where I live I have never seen a dirty belt and YES I would DEFINITELY notice it and mention it to the staff. I have seen dirty belts in other cities and I honestly dont understand why someone would put his/her fresh food on it.

Blue jay

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
I visited my local kosher supermarket this morning. The checkout belt was really dirty, I mean really. It had stuck on gook on it that looked like it has been there for a while, liquid all over, and some powdery white substance to boot.
I quietly asked the cashier for a paper towel to clean the belt (which he should do). Just my way of asking without being confrontational.
He did not even have a paper towel at his station. So he had to go looking, and came back with a few pieces. He loaded a good amount of windex onto a rotating belt, and couldn't possibly wipe it all with the few pieces of paper that he had. So he just stood there, with the belt rotating...waiting for it to air dry.
Now there is a line forming...and people are getting annoyed. I totally understand. By then I was fuming inside too.
So the cashier makes a loud announcement to the line, " She wants clean and dry!"
And then the rumblings started.
I told him that he should clean his belt before the day starts (this was still morning).
He said that in 6 years that he has been working there, I am the only one that has ever had an issue with a dirty belt.

Ladies, please weigh in. I am I really only one? Do you care if the belt at your supermarket is wet? dirty? sticky? Does it bother you more if you see milk all over the belt?

If I were behind you on line, I would be so happy that you had the belt cleaned! No way would I want to put my bananas on top of a dirty counter. If I ever buy Italiian bread, I actually place a produce bag on top of the exposed part of the bread, for this very reason. Even the cleanest belts still have bacteria on it from meat packages!

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:44 am
I notice, and I mention it.

chicken "juices" contain salmonella most of the time. scary.

Blue jay

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:44 am
I would also complain to the manager about the clerks behavior and the condition of his store.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 6:08 pm
His remark of you being the only one to care doesn't necesarily mean it's the truth. That's a common remark people make when they are feeling defensive. I would definitely mind, and the grocery should clean it regularly.

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 6:32 pm
amother wrote:
where I live I have never seen a dirty belt and YES I would DEFINITELY notice it and mention it to the staff. I have seen dirty belts in other cities and I honestly dont understand why someone would put his/her fresh food on it.

I don't know, I never assumed food packages are clean to begin with. I don't want my groceries getting sticky or wet, but packages have been shipped and handled and could have fallen on the floor. I wouldn't assume they are clean before going on the belt. Are people actually putting open exposed foods on the checkout belts?

Ashrei

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 10:44 pm
I think you were right to say something, and they were wrong for being obnoxious, on top of disgusting.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 5:32 pm
Ewwwww! Is this a "frum" problem? What is wrong with people? Puke

Where I live, there are no kosher grocery stores, just big chain stores with a kosher section. All the big stores are spotless and totally up to code. I've never had any worries about sticky belts, floors, packages, or anything else. The bathrooms are nice, too.

I guess sanitation is a perk or living OOT.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 8:48 pm
I used to be a cashier (working my way through college) and it was standard protocol to start and end every shift by wiping down the belt. In addition to that, each checkout cashier had their own bottle of spray cleaner and roll of paper towels.

That sounds disgusting and totally unacceptable.

Simple1

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 8:55 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Ewwwww! Is this a "frum" problem? What is wrong with people? Puke

Where I live, there are no kosher grocery stores, just big chain stores with a kosher section. All the big stores are spotless and totally up to code. I've never had any worries about sticky belts, floors, packages, or anything else. The bathrooms are nice, too.

I guess sanitation is a perk or living OOT.

Not a "frum" problem (at least where I live). Sounds like the store is not managed so well.

OP, it's probably most helpful if you talk to the manager. And maybe the people behind you in line were grumbling because they were running late? Although at least hopefully they got a clean counter.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics