Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Telling about a person by looking at their face
1  2  Next

frumjewishgirl

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 5:19 pm
Do you believe that you can tell a lot about a person by looking at their face? Do you believe that a person's face can tell a lot about their personality and if they are good or not so good people? I believe that there is something about a person's face that you could tell. What do you think?

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 5:24 pm
frumjewishgirl wrote:
Do you believe that you can tell a lot about a person by looking at their face? Do you believe that a person's face can tell a lot about their personality and if they are good or not so good people? I believe that there is something about a person's face that you could tell. What do you think?

Of course. The face is the entrance to the soul the Torah says this as well.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 5:34 pm
Only the eyes. I can tell a lot by looking into someone's eyes

dimyona

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 5:40 pm
I think your intuition is picking up on expressions and other nuances that indicate mood or personality, not actual physical features.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 6:22 pm
dimyona wrote:
I think your intuition is picking up on expressions and other nuances that indicate mood or personality, not actual physical features.

This.
There's no correlation between shape and size of facial features and character. Expressions can tell you a lot about a person's mental/emotional state, as does grooming, but this, too, can be misleading. You may see a person looking upset and in torn, messy clothing and unkempt hair and think she has low self-esteem or depression, but she could as easily have just been knocked down by a rogue bike rider and be in pain. Shakespeare knew, "One can smile, and smile, and be a villain." Sociopaths are often exceptionally charming on the surface, looking as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouths, even as they maim, torture and kill.

If you believe that a person with an open, honest and friendly look is a good person and someone with an annoyed or hostile look is a bad person, you have about equal chances of being wrong as right. Read the newpapers and see pics of violent felons--some of them look like very nice people. We tend to assume that good-looking people are nice people, and people with ugly faces have ugly souls, but the facts don't bear this out at all.

chani8

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 12:53 pm
You cannot tell much of anything about a person by looking at their face or into their eyes.

My DD does this to me all the time. "What's wrong?" And I'm like, "Um, didn't have my cup of coffee yet today?" Stop judging my face!

Or how about when you meet a friend and she says, "You look tired." Thanks. Actually, I'm well rested. This facial expression is because of you.

When I was alone for the first time with my DH, I got scared that maybe he was a psychopath. Turned out his contacts were sticky.

Liebs

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 3:09 pm
panim (face)=pnim (inside), so contrary to the burkas---we are not supposed to cover our faces!

ectomorph

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 8:42 pm
Some people have very kind faces, very happy faces, very cruel faces.

I think it's easier to read on older people.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 5:50 am
amother wrote:
Of course. The face is the entrance to the soul the Torah says this as well.

Where does the Torah say this? Thanks.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 6:19 am
100% YES!

Im a rather successful Shadchan, and I judge compatibility, based on facial expressions/facial shape/contours .... I pick up on confidence level, the outgoing/quiet factor, spirituality, optimism/negativity, level of honesty, happiness/unhappiness, anger/calm, selfishness/ selflessness on faces, and Ive made MANY Shidduchim.

I can pick this up on pictures too. This is nothing to do with fat or skinny, or well dressed, not well dressed.

Ive been on the button, many times!

My most useful tool has been studying faces.

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 7:27 am
There's a whole book on what each facial feature symbolizes. Then there is חכמת היד / חכמת הפרצוף aka face/palm reading which I've seen to be accurate, so there is something there.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:09 am
amother wrote:
100% YES!

Im a rather successful Shadchan, and I judge compatibility, based on facial expressions/facial shape/contours .... .

My shadchanit (also very successful!) does this- and she told me that she made my shidduch based on our faces.

I asked a Rav once about this and he said when we look at a person, we are computing 1000's of things about their potential traits from their look, their gait, the tone of their voice, etc. We then compare that to all of our previous experiences with those different factors. And there are patterns that we sense, which cause us to assess in a certain way. Is it 100% fact without exception? No. But it's a social skill that we are using constantly.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 11:08 am
I'm not a shadchan but I never made a mistake judging someone's personally and sometimes the person's qualities or talents. There is something into it. I can see the difference between a tired faced with those squinted eyes as not always a shy or unhappy person. And I'm talking about pictures too. I've diagnosed so many people from albums or from passing them on the street. There's definitely something about it.

debsey

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:09 pm
Be aware that manipulative people can change their facial expressions at will and can fool you. Many a charmer has a handsome face, kind looking eyes, and total sincerity in their expression while they are really out to cheat or manipulate.
I'd say that tzadikim have the ability to read faces, but us ordinary folk should be careful about giving "face reading" too much credence.

dimyona

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:17 pm
debsey wrote:
Be aware that manipulative people can change their facial expressions at will and can fool you. Many a charmer has a handsome face, kind looking eyes, and total sincerity in their expression while they are really out to cheat or manipulate.
I'd say that tzadikim have the ability to read faces, but us ordinary folk should be careful about giving "face reading" too much credence.

I don't think being a tzadik has anything to do with reading these cues. So many righteous people have been betrayed or manipulated by those they trusted or believed in.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:21 pm
debsey wrote:

Yep. The con artist's stock in trade, in fact. They wouldn't be successful con artists if they didn't look sincere and honest.

debsey

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:28 pm
dimyona wrote:
I don't think being a tzadik has anything to do with reading these cues. So many righteous people have been betrayed or manipulated by those they trusted or believed in.

There is a kabbalistic concept of face reading. However, I believe that you have to be a Kabbalist who knows how in order to do it. For us "just plain folk", I think trying to read faces is a mistake. So people who fool themselves into thinking "well, the kabbalah says you can read someone's face, so what I'm reading here is accurate" are misunderstanding the concept.

ora_43

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:41 pm
I think that a lot of people who are jerks don't really bother hiding the fact that they're jerks. So, like, you can tell that the person who looks sullen and unhappy and is glaring at everyone might not be a super-nice, upbeat kind of guy.

Beyond that, I don't think you can tell anything. I don't think that even talking to someone gives you a particularly accurate sense of who they are (eg, plenty of depressed people can be the life of the party at times). To be brutally honest, when people tell me they can figure out people's personalities right away, I generally translate that to "I make snap judgments about people, and ignore all subsequent evidence."

marina

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
100% YES!

Im a rather successful Shadchan, and I judge compatibility, based on facial expressions/facial shape/contours .... I pick up on confidence level, the outgoing/quiet factor, spirituality, optimism/negativity, level of honesty, happiness/unhappiness, anger/calm, selfishness/ selflessness on faces, and Ive made MANY Shidduchim.

I can pick this up on pictures too. This is nothing to do with fat or skinny, or well dressed, not well dressed.

Ive been on the button, many times!

My most useful tool has been studying faces.

omg, that's very scary. You make shidduchim essentially based on how people's faces look. Awful.

monseychick

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:53 pm
Marina, I suppose it beats dress size and fathers bank account
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics