Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Hiding quinoa in food

amother

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:24 pm
My dd decided to become a vegetarian. She doesn't like any beans, but she'll eat nuts and eggs. I read that quinoa is a great source of protein especially if you eliminate meat from your diet. It gives a lot of the same vitamins. She's not going to eat quinoa as the dish itself, so I'd like to hide it in things, main, side, or anything. This is not to be sneeky with her. I will tell her. It's just so she'll get the protein without tasting it.

anon because I'm talking about my dd, not me.

Pineapple

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:29 pm
Mix/cook with brown rice

ROFL

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 10:03 pm
Stuffed pepper with quinoa and melt cheese on top of that. Yummy!

imasinger

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 10:56 pm
There is a nice sprouted quinoa and wild rice mix that we found at Costco.

mha3484

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 11:26 pm
How about something like this? http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....ites/

The beans are mashed so maybe it won't bother her.

Google quinoa pizza bites for ideas.

Dina_B613

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:46 am
Rinse it to get the bitterish taste out. Check out quinoa mujadera: http://toriavey.com/toris-kitc.....dara/

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 9:01 am
Thank you for the suggestions, but aside from mixing it with brown rice, it's not hidden, but a quinoa recipe. I'm asking about hiding it that you won't taste or really see it.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 9:23 am
You could also try mixing it with kasha.

But truly, you'll do better helping her find sources of protein she WILL eat.

Try "fake meat" products, tofu, fish, whole wheat products, cheeses. Have her take a multivitamin. Make sure she gets plenty of good vegetables.

It would be a good idea to go together to a nutritionist.

And keep serving quinoa frequently for the whole family, so she has a chance to get used to it and see it as normal.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:03 am
imasinger wrote:
You could also try mixing it with kasha.

But truly, you'll do better helping her find sources of protein she WILL eat.

Try "fake meat" products, tofu, fish, whole wheat products, cheeses. Have her take a multivitamin. Make sure she gets plenty of good vegetables.

It would be a good idea to go together to a nutritionist.

And keep serving quinoa frequently for the whole family, so she has a chance to get used to it and see it as normal.

I'm trying to find a protein she will eat, but I don't think it's enough for her. I will suggest tofu and whole wheat products. Whole wheat has protein in it? She does eat cheese and she won't eat fish either. She's taking B12 and another vitamin, but I don't remember what. I can't afford a nutritionist now.

Quinoa can't be hidden in foods? I can't cook up a pot of it and freeze in portions and throw it in certain foods, like mac and cheese? Will it give it a different taste or texture?

Butterfly

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
Quinoa can't be hidden in foods? I can't cook up a pot of it and freeze in portions and throw it in certain foods, like mac and cheese? Will it give it a different taste or texture?

I think it can easily be hidden in certain foods if well blended (use blender of food processer) and added in fairly small amounts.

When adding quinoa (blended) to kasha , the taste of the kasha overpowers it to the extent that it can literally go undetected taste-wise and testure-wise.

Assumingly, it should blend very well with mac and cheese.
You can also add it to any recipe of veggie patties.

Remember; The key is to use small amounts.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:05 pm
Look for seitan in the health food store. It's a nice chicken replacement in stir frys.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:21 pm
you can add some quinoa to muffins too but that's not a lot of protein.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:24 pm
Quinoa pancakes
http://www.marthastewart.com/3.....cakes

Quinoa banana bread/cake

I heard that there are quinoa flakes available which might be just what you need to integrate into your regular recipes.

spinkles

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:37 pm
Would she eat a veggie burger made out of mashed black beans, quinoa, and BBQ spices?

Quinoa doesn't freeze well, so I wouldn't make a big batch of it.

Many, many foods have protein. And since you said she eats eggs and cheese, I really wouldn't worry about protein. Make sure she's eating a variety of whole grain baked goods.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 7:33 pm
quinoa freezes fine!

rise above

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 2:21 pm
We use quinoa in our chulent in place of barley and no one we have had has ever guessed! It falls apart pretty much so it makes the chulent sauce protien filled without the texture of quiona. I presume you can do the same in any stew or soup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking