Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Appetizer ideas for yom tov

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:46 pm
I feel like I'm always serving the same two dishes at each yom tov meal, either meat turnovers with mushroom sauce, or a liver appetizer over rice. I'd like to make something different this year. Please include recipes. Please keep in mind that I first serve a fish dish, then the appetizer, and then the fleishig main course, so the appetizer suggestions should preferably not be a fish dish, although I would accept a fish suggestion as an alternative first course. TIA!

nameless

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:28 am
Don't have any recipes on me but if you are interested I can try and get them all later

Although similar to meat turnovers, chicken turnovers. It's a piece of puff pastry with a mushroom and broccoli filling and a piece of chicken in the middle.

meatballs
soups
there is a recipe somewhere on this site for two-tone meatroll. Roll ground meat and chicken without the puff pastry outside.
chicken or deli salad

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:04 am
I thought first course was always suppose to be fish.
Am I missing something
Maybe I'm still stuck I the 80's.
All suggestions sound yum.

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:10 am
Sorry I didn't read post correctly, but still, why is an appetizer necessary.
We have fish, then 5-6 salad plus dips, Main dish (meat and chicken), 3 sides, dessert which is usually fruit and cake. Plus on RH we eat all the simanim first, which is a meal on its own. Maybe I just old fashion, and the new generation like things a little more sophisticated.

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:13 am
Shhh. My kids think challah is the appetizer! Just kidding.

This year's menu, by vote:

Challah, simanim, salmon, all in one course.
Nearly sugar-free chocolate pie for dessert.
A one hour walk. Wink
2nd night: Repeat.

Day meals: Challah and dips. Stir fry chicken with fruity salad, and rice. Dessert.

Shobbos eve: Challah and dips, chicken shnitzle and fruity rice, dessert.
Shobbos lunch: Challah and dips, chicken soup or chicken on salad, dessert.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 5:26 am
cbg wrote:
Sorry I didn't read post correctly, but still, why is an appetizer necessary.
We have fish, then 5-6 salad plus dips, Main dish (meat and chicken), 3 sides, dessert which is usually fruit and cake. Plus on RH we eat all the simanim first, which is a meal on its own. Maybe I just old fashion, and the new generation like things a little more sophisticated.

You're right, an appetizer isn't necessary if you have a salad. I don't usually serve salad. I'm actually thinking of serving a deli salad as the appetizer this year.

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 6:00 am
Salads. Salads. Salads. Theyre always my appetizer. I try to be different and creative and everybody appreciates it as we have a full menu.

sbs

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:26 am
you can do grilled chicken cutlet strips over sesame linguine, meatballs over rice, tongue and lukshen kugel, puff pastry square with a slice of kishke and a piece of chicken cutlet, a slice of deli roll,

but a salad appetizer is really nice,

there are so many salads that have chicken or meat on top to make it extra, or grilled veggies on top

I also do a salad with chicken wontons and a dipping sauce
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen