Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How often does the deep cleaning get done?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 1:03 pm
I am constantly struggling to keep up with the basics - getting dishes washed, laundry, sweeping up floors, etc. that I rarely have the opportunity to get to the things I really want to clean deep and well. I can't very well scrub the tile grout in my shower with a toothbrush or dust and reorganize closets or spend time taking apart and moving my huge sectional sofa to clean under and behind - not if it means I spent my time on those tasks so the basics didn't get done and now my family comes home to house in turmoil.

How do you manage it? Do you do any of the deeper cleaning tasks daily? Weekly? Monthly? Only before Pesach? Or do you just ignore it mostly?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 1:45 pm
Some of the things you mentioned I just skip, some get done more regularly. The general idea, though is to break down major tasks into smaller, less daunting ones. Make the "deep clean" a part of your regular routine. It's not gonna be amazing, but it will be much less overwhelming.

Grout in the bathroom? Skip it. Invest in a squeegee for shower walls. If bath time allows, you can teach you kids to use it. It's a fun activity after the shower. If you're pressed for time it takes an extra minute maybe if you do it yourself.

If you use bleach, use some once a month when you wash the bathroom floor. Just mix with hot water in a spray bottle and wipe down with a shmatte. Doesn't cure all, but definitely helps some.

Closets, I do one a month, a bit each day. Or I make it an activity with the kids if the contents of the closet allow. It's never pristine, but the system helps eliminate compete disaster.

My sofa isn't sectional, but DH shifts it before he leaves the day my cleaning help comes, so it gets vacuumed under regularly. You could probably do one section a week, or if you don't have cleaning help, set a day, like Friday when you know you'll vacuum, and have DH shift a section for you.

Look at all the deep clean projects you're pushing off and ask yourself how you can break them down into smaller, more manageable tasks. How realistic is it that those tasks will get done? Which of those tasks can be delegated to kids/DH?

Change you're perspective from "never gonna happen intense deep clean" to "maintenance I can manage"

Hatzlacha!

ROFL

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 1:55 pm
Never get to those. Deep cleaning ! I just try to make things look presentable

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 3:07 pm
I have a cleaning lady do deep cleaning. Before I hired her, it just never happened because I have too much other stuff to do and my husband works too many hours to have time to clean when he's home.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 4:50 pm
Never happens here either. I'm able to keep afloat with the basics but not much else. I don't have cleaning help either.
I keep the public areas of the house neat and orderly and clutter-free. It must make a good impression because people are always saying how clean my house is. If they only knew Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry