Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Left chopped meat out all night

pickle321

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:39 am
I took chopped meat out of the freezer at 1:00 in the afternoon yesterday so I could make meatballs last night. I ended up deciding to make them in the morning because I was too tired last night but I forgot to put the meat (which was already fully defrosted by last night) in the fridge. Can I still use it? I put it in the fridge when I realized at 7:30 am

pickle321

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 1:20 am
pickle321 wrote:
I took chopped meat out of the freezer at 1:00 in the afternoon yesterday so I could make meatballs last night. I ended up deciding to make them in the morning because I was too tired last night but I forgot to put the meat (which was already fully defrosted by last night) in the fridge. Can I still use it? I put it in the fridge when I realized at 7:30 am

Bump

debsey

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 1:23 am
tricky.
was it cool to the touch? did it smell ok?
I've handled it both ways - tossed or used- depending on my level of desperation. Maybe some of the really expert cooks will respond.

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 1:33 am
I would toss. Meat, fish and chicken are highly perishable.

pickle321

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 6:45 am
Dumped it

Simy

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 6:49 am
I would not use it.

morah

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 6:59 am
Btw, it is very unsafe to defrost on the counter. You should be defrosting in the fridge.

freidasima

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 7:18 am
Morah is right, that's what I was always taught as well.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 8:36 am
May this be your only lost all year.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 8:45 am
Whenever I'm tempted to keep something that may be spoiled but I'm not sure,I think 'is it worth maybe throwing up all night from this?' and inevitably, I choose to toss it.

mandr

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 12:33 pm
pickle321 wrote:

1. Never defrost meat on the counter. The only safe ways to defrost meat are to thaw it in the fridge (usually takes overnight or longer) or microwave it right before using it, or keep it in a ziploc in a bowl of cold water and keep changing the water every 30 minutes. It will also save you problems like you had now by forgetting to deal with the meat.

2. Even though you will cook the meat, it does not kill all bacteria and toxins. Some only die at very high temperatures like 600 degrees which your cooking will never accomplish.

3. When in doubt, throw it out.

4. If you even have a doubt as to whether it is safe or not, listen to your gut feeling. It should tell you something.

5. The best that can happen is an upset stomach, but some reactions can be pretty serious and even fatal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen