Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
How old were you when you got married?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

How old were you when you got married?
0-20  
 42%  [ 212 ]
21-24  
 40%  [ 204 ]
25-29  
 12%  [ 62 ]
30-39  
 4%  [ 21 ]
40+  
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 503

penguin

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 2:45 pm
There was a letter in the Yated, I think last week. Someone is trying to gather info to form a more accurate database. They are asking your high school, year of graduation, if you are married, ages of you and your spouse, and how many class mates are still not married - male and female.

If someone is more organized than I, perhaps they can find the letter and provide the email. I think it was something like shidduchstatistics or shidduchsurvey or shidduchdata. at gmail of course.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 3:08 pm
Was 18, and turned 19 mid the wedding bash!😉

amother

Post Wed, Sep 24 2014, 3:23 pm
I was 20, my husband was 28. We are personally responsible for the shidduch crisis. I know. And everyone who finds out this piece of info feels the need to inform us again. It's ridiculous.

My first cousin who's 35 just married a really wonderful 37 year old guy who's been religious for 8 years. He wasn't even frum when she was 25!!!

There is a wonderful couple in my apartment complex who met and married in their 40s. They had twins a few years ago. They are great friends of ours. They will tell you in a heartbeat that it was absolutely worth the wait.

I have a friend who was encouraged to marry a young man she was unsure about when she was 24. She had three younger sisters in the wings and her parents kept telling her that she wasn't getting any younger, he's a nice guy, you're being too picky, etc. He was emotionally abusive. Then he picked up his hands. The marriage lasted 8 months and the divorce was very messy.

G-d runs the world, not man. He directs the footsteps of man and brings the right people together at the right time. Yes we must do our part, but part of that part (if that makes sense...) is to believe in G-d.

I applaud those who want to help solve the shidduch crisis, but I agree wholeheartedly with the posters on this thread who say that the numbers are inflated, statistically inaccurate, just plain wrong, whatever.

It's not about numbers anyway. It's about people. And each person individually is a whole world. You don't become a statistic at 25. You remain just the same individual you were at 18, 20 and 24. And at every age, G-d guides the shidduch process.

Rodent

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 10:05 am
24. He was 26. Me a gioret, he a BT.

ven

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 3:02 pm
married by 19, divorced at 32 . I would've waited in retrospect until I was older. I was way way to young. He was 19 too btw

sunny90

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 4:20 pm
I was 18 1/2, he was 19 (turned 20 3 months later).
BH. I'm not going to say we were both completely mature when we got married, but I am so so glad that we did. I know 100% it was the right decision. We've grown together a lot.
Btw, neither of us were "in shidduchim" when we dated. We met and had someone set us up.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 4:28 pm
I was almost 25 and my husband was almost 27.
But we are not the shidduch system type.
We are MO. And even though I personally had been dating for a lot of years (that was my choice) I did not feel old when I got married.

Also, OP, can you link the thread you were talking about in your first post?

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 5:37 pm
I was 23 and Dh 32

Raisin

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 6:43 pm
I was 21 and my husband was 24. Almost all my friends married men with a similar age gap. This was a while ago but I can see how a shidduch crises could thus emerge if everyone is marrying men 3-4 years older. Not that I had a choice, younger men simply were not being suggested. The way the system works in my circles, bochurim start dating at x age and girls start dating at y age. Unless a girl doesn't get married till she is 24 or so she is unlikely to marry someone her own age. Recently I have noticed men marrying younger and women being older...so I guess some notice is being taken.

I would love to help my older single friends get married, I am glad to see someone out there actually cares.

Even if it is "only" 5% or 1% that is way too many singles.

rachel91

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 6:48 pm
I was a month before 19, my husband was 24.

mimsf

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 6:55 pm
I was 3 months before 20 and hub was 20 1/2

chocolate fondue

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 8:22 pm
I was 19, he was 23. Best thing I ever did.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 8:55 pm
I was 22. My dh was 21.

sheifelah

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 9:41 pm
I was 26, My husband was 23, turned 24 two weeks later.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 9:48 pm
Too young

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 11:24 pm

hubby 24

ya I know. we are part of the shidduch problem. MIND THE GAP as they say in London.

miami85

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 11:27 pm
I was 24, DH is 6 months younger than me. I didn't think it would happen when it did--but then again no one does. I still have quite a few friends who aren't married--5 years later. Sad I do know of plenty of girls that got married 25+, but I know it's a lot harder. I don't know if it's "pickyness" or being more self-defined and not as willing to compromise on oneself, or just "the right one" hasn't shown up yet.

Reesa

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 12:05 am
I dont understand how humans can play g-d. Before each person is born a shidduch is set for her. We don't have to understand HOW it will work out. Leave that to Him. There are many ways for Hashem to bring you your bashert and it doesn't have to be someone in the pool of people included in the statistic "study".
I think there is a crisis but not this. It should not be our department of worry to figure out how Hashem can make it happen. What we could work on is our middos and how we handle our Shidduchim and our list of expectations and demands and being more open minded. Etc.
start trusting in Gd more and stop thinking we can fix this. It ain't broke.

BrachaBatya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 12:34 am
We were 25 and 24.

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 12:35 am
I don't understand this 'shidduch crisis' that's mentioned here regarding an older boy marrying a younger girl. I married an older man and encourage my girls to consider someone older. Why is that a problem in the shidduch world?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room