Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Toys/games for 8 year old that are played sitting down
1  2  Next

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:11 am
My 8 year old dd has casts on both feet and spends a lot of time playing on the floor. She enjoys playing spit and rummykub, and playing with our dollhouse. She also loves drawing. Since she will be immobile for the next two months or so, I would like to buy her something new and exciting to play with. It is preferable if she can play with it by herself. Any ideas?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:21 am
Pallino. Fantastic toy! Even I enjoy playing with it sometimes. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....a_1_5

Perplexus. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....a_1_3

Electronic games, such as Nintendo 3DS

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:33 am
I've never heard of pallino. It looks great, but does it have hundreds of little balls that will get all over the place?

My brother used to have a perplexus. I wonder if I can find it and adopt it. I think dd used to be pretty good at it.

I should have mentioned that I don't want to get electronic games. I try to limit that stuff.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:42 am
Everything is enclosed in the Pallino, sort of like Perplexus. No balls rolling around.

How about putting together an art set with markers, crayons, colored pencils, gel pens, paints, etc. (and various types, such as color changer markers), sharpener, white out, dry erase board and markers, rubber stamps, textured papers and other collage materials, glue, scissors ... ? You can also include items such as http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....a_1_3 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....a_1_1

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:53 am; edited 2 times in total

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:44 am
Sounds great. I will try to get that for her IY"H. Thanks.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 3:01 am
You can also have her make herself a scrapbook. That should keep her busy for hours! Or jewelry with a beading kit (or even a Rainbow Loom). Now is also the perfect opportunity for her to make a sukkah decoration- sequins, metallic paper, or a sukkah star. You can also buy her huge puzzles to assemble, if she likes that sort of thing.

myself

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:12 am
How about games from the 'smart games' range like Rush Hour and other IQ Puzzles?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=.....2C183

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:26 am
magna tiles

Simple1

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:53 am
Do you have clics? It can keep the kids very busy many times over making new things with it every time.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 8:01 am
Get her a how to book and the supplies needed to knit.
Or another craft

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:30 am
We do have clics. I should take them out- the kids haven't used them in a while. Magna tiles are a good idea, but very expensive. Rush hour is also a good idea. We did have a rainbow loom, but it was difficult for my kids (and myself) to do. I should look at Succah decoration ideas. I can't see her knitting, but maybe my mother could try teaching her.

Thanks for all the ideas.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:41 am
Amazon has some great craft kits which are relatively inexpensive. A few of those should keep her busy for a while.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:52 am
She might enjoy putting together and playing with a lego kit geared towards girls.

anon for this

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:54 am
One inexpensive craft idea is a "paper chain" for the sukkah, only made of styrofoam for durability. I bought a 50 pack of foam craft sheets from a craft store, and my daughter cut them into strips and stapled them together. I had a 50% off coupon for one item in the store, so the foam sheets only cost about $6.

My daughter is older than yours, but it's a relatively easy craft so your daughter might be able to do it too.

mfb

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 12:36 pm
My kids made chains for sukkos out of pipe cleaners with some pretty beads threaded onto them. Nice activity and good for this season.

momtra

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 12:59 pm
Bop it

Barbara

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 1:00 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
My 8 year old dd has casts on both feet and spends a lot of time playing on the floor. She enjoys playing spit and rummykub, and playing with our dollhouse. She also loves drawing. Since she will be immobile for the next two months or so, I would like to buy her something new and exciting to play with. It is preferable if she can play with it by herself. Any ideas?

Lego, Rush Hour, Jenga, soduko, jigsaw puzzles, other puzzle games, any needle crafts (knit, crochet, cross stitch, embroidery), crafts (clay, beads, drawing)

Refuah shleima

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 1:21 pm
It's almost sukkos: how about you buy her some crafts to decorate the sukka? You said she likes drawing: maybe she can paint something for the sukka? She could built a miniature sukka, create a needlepoint, etc.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 1:59 pm
Thanks for all the ideas. I hope to stop in Walmart on our way to Philadelphia tonight, and I want to stock up on this stuff, though hopefully without spending a fortune.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:05 pm
Games like Spot It and Apples to Apples. The first one requires quick eyesight and thinking, and the other one helps with language skills and connecting concepts. My DD loves them.

Littlest Petshop figurines and the matching houses are totally adorable. My DD is 11, and she can play with them for hours. There are videos of the kid's cartoon series on YouTube, so you can tie that in if you allow movies. Very appropriate for a frum kid, the themes are all about being nice and cooperating.

http://www.hasbro.com/littlestpetshop/en_us/ You can often get them used on Ebay at very good prices. Just make sure you compare prices, because sometimes the gently used ones can get bid higher than the cost of a new one, and shipping for large play houses can be expensive if you don't pay attention and factor that into the cost. Other sellers offer free shipping, so keep your eyes open.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children