Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey Cheder - Vien, Munkatch or Imrei Shefer
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

amother

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 11:43 pm
I am looking for information about these schools. Any and all info is appreciated.

If you send there, or know anything about them, please be so kind and reply.

TIA

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:14 am
Vien is considered the best of them

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:37 am
amother wrote:
Vien is considered the best of them

In which way?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:55 am
New Amother here. my son's in vien. how could I help you>

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:12 am
Vien is "considered" best, but very difficult to get into. Also, what's considered best may not always be really best for all involved.

Imrei Shefer is working hard on their education, moving away from the traditional Chassidish Cheder system, and implementing a system which is geared more to the individual.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:24 am
amother wrote:
New Amother here. my son's in vien. how could I help you>

Thanks.

I know they're supposed to be great, and I know they're selective so I may not even get in there :-/
But - how are they compared to other chassidish places? I liked the fact that they were always more relaxed and open chassidish, but I heard that recently they became more "mainstream chassidish". I want my kids to get a solid secular education. And I'm sick of the mainstream chassidish schools that try to "parent" the parents.
Are they like that?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:27 am
Maya wrote:

Imrei Shefer is working hard on their education, moving away from the traditional Chassidish Cheder system, and implementing a system which is geared more to the individual.

From a search I've done here on imamother, I found that there's no one to talk to in that place. Is that true or just an individual's experience?
And how's their secular education?

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:34 am
amother wrote:
From a search I've done here on imamother, I found that there's no one to talk to in that place. Is that true or just an individual's experience?
And how's their secular education?

No one to talk to regarding what? The administration and staff has changed a bit in recent years, so perhaps past complaints are no longer valid.

I know that the guy in charge is a big believer in secular education and wants the kids in the school to be ready for college when they graduate his high school, so I would imagine they put more emphasis on it than standard Chassidishe schools. You should ask around by people who send there.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:38 am
Maya wrote:
No one to talk to regarding what?

I got the impression that the principal/staff is a bit "stuck up". That if a parent had an issue with something, nothing was done about it. But it may have been just one isolated incident.

Quote:
You should ask around by people who send there.

I don't know anyone sending to any of those, that's why I'm asking around here Smile

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:40 am
If you PM me, I can give you the name of whom to speak to there. Call and see for yourself. Everything is about individual impressions. Smile

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:03 am
Imrei Shefer: don't have much information about the cheder, but the one woman I know sent there because she wanted the individualized learning approach for her son. She kept him there until he went to yeshiva katana, but immediately changed the other boys to Bais Dovid. She felt that Imrei Shefer was not well run and did not live up to expectations they sold themselves on. (That's just one person, so you should speak to others).

Vien: All of the parents that I know in this cheder are very happy. It is becoming a bit more "mainstream chassidish," and the administration will be involved with the parents (as will any school BTW). The teachers and melamdim are great, and the kids are happy.

Munkatch: From your post it sounds like this cheder may be the one for you. I know only one person who sends her children there, but she is happy, and I believe that they will have the least to "say" about/to parents (and it sounds like that is important to you). Please keep in mind that it is a very different cheder than the Munkatch in BP so do your research with parents there before applying.

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:08 am
Right now, my older kid is in Munkatch. Every year the rule book gets thicker and thicker, with add on regarding the kids clothes and rules for the parents.
Also, the material taught is very similar to the stuff I had been hearing in satmar when I was a kid.

Otherwise, great school.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:37 am
Thanks everyone.

I'm just so confused.

I just want a school that's solid, caring staff, uninvolved in the nitty gritty aspects of the parents lives. Who won't make an issue out of what I wear, where I go, what I do. I know I'm making it sound like I'm rebellious or something. I'm not; I'm pretty good. I just get so annoyed at these things. But at the same time, I don't want a school whose parents are chassidish runaways.
Ugh I'm so confusing. And confused.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:44 am
And one that won't have rules about what their payos should look like, how many slices their kippa should have, which shoes and pants they are or aren't allowed to wear...
It's not like I can't follow such rules; I know I will follow whatever rules they have. But I want a place whose focus is on stuff more important that those.

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:45 am
Which of these schools is for Chassidish runaways?

If a priority is having a school from which you won't feel pressure to "behave," imrei Shefer is probably best for that. But again, you should call and discuss all your concerns with the guy in charge.

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:48 am
amother wrote:
And one that won't have rules about what their payos should look like, how many slices their kippa should have, which shoes and pants they are or aren't allowed to wear...
It's not like I can't follow such rules; I know I will follow whatever rules they have. But I want a place whose focus is on stuff more important that those.

Munkatch has these rules. All the kids above kittah gimmel had to change this year from the navy designed four slice kappel they were wearing until now, to plain black. Their new rule book stresses on how kids should have a Chassidishe "tzeerah," with the peyos and all that. They are starting to focus on these things more than in the past.

As I said though, great school otherwise.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:52 am
Sorry for true OT

My children are grown up and I'm not Chasidish . But I'm just curious , Maya
You are constantly saying that you ran away from being Chasidish and posting your grievances . Why would you want to send your child to munkatçh ??

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 8:00 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Sorry for true OT

My children are grown up and I'm not Chasidish . But I'm just curious , Maya
You are constantly saying that you ran away from being Chasidish and posting your grievances . Why would you want to send your child to munkatçh ??

I'd be happy to answer you via PM if you'd like Smile

Last edited by Maya on Sun, Sep 28 2014, 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 8:02 am
Maya wrote:
Munkatch has these rules. All the kids above kittah gimmel had to change this year from the navy designed four slice kappel they were wearing until now, to plain black. Their new rule book stresses on how kids should have a Chassidishe "tzeerah," with the peyos and all that. They are starting to focus on these things more than in the past.

This is what gets to me. Looking Jewish means having a huge black kappel? And messy wild payos?? Yes I know not everyone has flying payos, but to focus on that...

Quote:
As I said though, great school otherwise.

And so is satmar, and Belz, and bobov etc, otherwise. It's these key points that upset me.

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 8:05 am
They're moving towards the right, as is the case woth most other schools, too.
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics