Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey Cheder - Vien, Munkatch or Imrei Shefer
  Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:22 pm
And thanks for all your input, Maya Smile

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
Now this complicates things even more. Send to a cheder that's a better choice, but be stripped financially, or pay less and send someplace that's not a great fit...?

It's called; you get what you paid for. Its not ez for me either but I'd rather pay alot for education than a little for babysitting service. My children have only one youth, I'll get a second job and provide them the best possible education in my circles.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 12:41 am
Maya wrote:
Yes its true.
We pay in Munkatch about $425 or so, and I know imrei Shefer is more than that. I think the Chassidusen are significantly cheaper, even going down to $200 or so.

This per month, right?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
This per month, right?

Yes

proudmother1

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 8:50 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
I agree with you. I was not referring to schools that refer to things like eyegear, head gear, etc. They have standards in school, just like any uniform would, but I seriously doubt that they are pushing those standards onto the parent body and graduates.

I was referring to more "neutral" schools that may ask parents to not go on vacation to California or Florida, but couldn't care less about mother's driving habits and shaitel. Do you think that not allowing people to go to Florida or California is dictating every minute detail of life? I think that there is a huge difference.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm not involved in any school, and maybe all schools are so evil and controlling that they are involved in nails, clothing, etc.

Serious? You think that schools should tell parents where to vacation? How is that different than mothers' driving habits and shaitel?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 9:04 am
amother wrote:
I'll give a guess - the one that's a better fit. I believe that's the right choice, but that leaves me wondering - how do people afford it??

I pay close to $15,000 for one of my sons (elementary school) and about $25,000 for my other son (high school). We live in the tri-state area, where there are lots of choices. But we chose the best. And yes, you do get what you pay for in most instances.

We actually pay it. We are not rich - far from it.

My husband works like a dog, so do I. We have not had a vacation in years. I don't need a walk-in closet, or even a large closet because my clothes fit into a very small space. I buy only what is necessary. We eat what is on sale. We not only pack lunch, but we pack cheap lunch. (Peanut butter sandwiches) We buy chicken when it is on sale. Meat? What is that? (Sometimes it will be a special treat for Yom Tov.) We buy frozen fish for Shabbos, because it is cheaper.

That is how we afford it.

I know that this is not an option for everyone. But this is our choice. We invest in our children by giving them the best education possible.

Everyone spends according to their own desires. Our desire is to educate our children.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 9:09 am
ally wrote:
Is this a joke?

No. I know of a community that urges the parents not take their boys to Walmart, as they can see unacceptable things there. I guess its the women in the summer...and the magazines....

You gotta wonder what happens to these boys once the barn doors are opened.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
I pay close to $15,000 for one of my sons (elementary school) and about $25,000 for my other son (high school). We live in the tri-state area, where there are lots of choices. But we chose the best. And yes, you do get what you pay for in most instances.

We actually pay it. We are not rich - far from it.

My husband works like a dog, so do I. We have not had a vacation in years. I don't need a walk-in closet, or even a large closet because my clothes fit into a very small space. I buy only what is necessary. We eat what is on sale. We not only pack lunch, but we pack cheap lunch. (Peanut butter sandwiches) We buy chicken when it is on sale. Meat? What is that? (Sometimes it will be a special treat for Yom Tov.) We buy frozen fish for Shabbos, because it is cheaper.

That is how we afford it.

I know that this is not an option for everyone. But this is our choice. We invest in our children by giving them the best education possible.

Everyone spends according to their own desires. Our desire is to educate our children.

I am the amother who mentioned not to but school lunch. Unfortunately for me my kids schools both became nut free. It costs me more to make lunch now, but still cheaper than buying. One DC will only eat pasta.

I have also made sacrifices to send my kids to better schools - education wise. There is a cheaper school in my neighborhood, but its known to be a glorified babysitting service. There is no reason for my DC to go to school for so many years and not reach their potential.

Chloe

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:21 pm
Maya, Just wanted to say Thumbs Up on your posts!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:
I'll give a guess - the one that's a better fit. I believe that's the right choice, but that leaves me wondering - how do people afford it??

I will comment just on this, because I have nothing to add to the rest of the conversation. You have to do what is right for you, your child, and your family as a whole. We made a choice to send one of my children to a school that is nearly double than what we were paying till now, and it's worth every penny we're scrimping to do that. My husband and I both work 2 jobs, we've been eating simple foods that we can buy on sale, and we all desperately need new underwear. But the smile on my kids faces when they come home from school is worth more than any dollar amount.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 3:27 am
Maya wrote:
Yes its true.
We pay in Munkatch about $425 or so, and I know imrei Shefer is more than that. I think the Chassidusen are significantly cheaper, even going down to $200 or so.

$200/month? $2000/year?
How do they pay utility bills/staff salaries with such low fees?
How large are the classes?
Do they receive govt funding, or is the tuition the entire income?
Are they supported by other sources?

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 4:41 am
DrMom wrote:
$200/month? $2000/year?

I imagine they get a lot of community support. There are some pretty wealthy chassidim who no doubt support their own community institutions. Which is why the specific chassidic schools charge less then generic ones.

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 5:48 am
DrMom wrote:
$200/month? $2000/year?

You can't just look at the monthly tuition. You have to consider things like the building fund and bus fees. My chassidish friend pays a $5000 building fee each year verses my $1000 building fee.

Additionally, get more government grants than other schools. They aggressively pursue other sources of funding. For instance I know of one chassidish school that gets free textbooks and breakfast and in turn charges parents for them. They have a $200 textbook fee. Nit checking fees are also revenue raisers.

As Raisin said, they have receive enormous donations from wealthy individuals. They rent out the school for simchas.

On the expense side they, they hire just out of school girls. I know one one high school senior who became the teacher when her teacher was out versus BY HS where the teachers are highly educated.

One chassidish got a sweetheart deal for the old public school building which was not properly put out for bid.

Obviously not every school is doing this and there are more things that I am unaware of.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 7:25 am
Squishy wrote:

I know of one chassidish school that gets free textbooks and breakfast and in turn charges parents for them.

and there are more things that I am unaware of.

Obviously there are more things you are unaware off :
The cost of EACH textbook is probably about $40. The government pays in total about $50 per student.
This site is public information, we don't know who is reading this, it might be Mesira. As the Mishna says : Wise - people, be careful with your words.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 7:29 am
Squishy wrote:
For instance I know of one chassidish school that gets free textbooks and breakfast and in turn charges parents for them. They have a $200 textbook fee.

Is that legal??

Maya

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:23 am
When I was a teacher in Satmar, I had 37 students in each of my two classes. Suppose tuition was $200 a month per kid. I was paid $160 a week! Five students' tuition paid my monthly wage. And there were ten parallel classes PER GRADE. Now there are more.

They also get funding for everything, but don't necessarily use it for those purposes. I know a guy whose job is to divert the government money in a way which makes it look legal but not actually used for the intended purposes. There was an article a while ago about a few yeshivahs getting thousands of dollars for computer and electronic equipment, yet you couldn't find a single computer for student use on the entire campus.

Figure out the numbers. Anyone who gives tzedakkah to a mosed that is backed by a chassidus is stupid. A lot of it we pocketed by individuals in the administration.

Maya

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:33 am
Also, I have no doubt that those in the government who are distributing these funds know exactly what is being done with it. They don't care. There are a ton of illegalities in the schools regarding funding, educational standards, etc. which are constantly being exposed in articles and such, and yet nothing is ever done.

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:04 am
please stop besmirching mosdos. you dont know everything that is going on. I am not saying that they are right if they are committing wrongs. but in a public place? common its just so wrong. one wrong doesnt make another right.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:04 am
Maya, dont the rebbes get paid more then young women? And older married women teachers?

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:05 am
[quote="Maya"]When I was a teacher in Satmar, I had 37 students in each of my two classes. Suppose tuition was $200 a month per kid. I was paid $160 a week! Five students' tuition paid my monthly wage. And there were ten parallel classes PER GRADE. Now there are more.

They also get funding for everything, but don't necessarily use it for those purposes. I know a guy whose job is to divert the government money in a way which makes it look legal but not actually used for the intended purposes. There was an article a while ago about a few yeshivahs getting thousands of dollars for computer and electronic equipment, yet you couldn't find a single computer for student use on the entire campus.

Figure out the numbers. Anyone who gives tzedakkah to a mosed that is backed by a chassidus is stupid. A lot of it we pocketed by individuals in the administration.[/quote]

this goes against the laws of lashon hora. if your angry about it. you need to deal with it in a different way.
Page 9 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics