Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Yom kippur help

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 1:08 pm
If I get a nanny to babysit kids in my house on yom kippur what can She do? Can she heat up food for them. take them to the park? etc. anyone ever have a [gentile] help out with kids on yom kippur? is it helpful?

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:50 pm
AYLOR what a non Jewish person can do for children on yom Kippur. It probably makes a difference that it falls on shabbos this year in term of heating up food. You have to be very careful about giving directions on shabbos/Y"T. It may be better to do so in advance.

How old are your kids? If they are too young to understand about Y"K then why shouldn't they go play in the park (weather permitting)?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:53 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
AYLOR what a non Jewish person can do for children on yom Kippur. It probably makes a difference that it falls on shabbos this year in term of heating up food. You have to be very careful about giving directions on shabbos/Y"T. It may be better to do so in advance.

How old are your kids? If they are too young to understand about Y"K then why shouldn't they go play in the park (weather permitting)?

It doesn't make a difference if YK falls on Shabbos or not. It is always treated as "Shabbos" rather than Yom Tov.......... I.E. no carrying, warming up food for children, etc. Many people put up a cholent erev yom kippur to serve their kids in the morning.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:56 pm
What's wrong ng with giving your kids sandwiches, or cereal and milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna, foods that don't need to be hot.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:58 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
It doesn't make a difference if YK falls on Shabbos or not. It is always treated as "Shabbos" rather than Yom Tov.......... I.E. no carrying, warming up food for children, etc. Many people put up a cholent to serve their kids in the morning.

Good point!

I've never actually been home with children for Y"K. I'm not a good faster, so we go to my parents or in laws so I can have some help.

All I remember about eating on Y"K when I was growing up is that my mother would buy us a special pastry for breakfast because she said Y"K is a Yom Tov for those who aren't fasting. And we would get deli sandwiches for lunch, which was also a special treat in our home. No heating necessary.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:36 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Good point!

I've never actually been home with children for Y"K. I'm not a good faster, so we go to my parents or in laws so I can have some help.

All I remember about eating on Y"K when I was growing up is that my mother would buy us a special pastry for breakfast because she said Y"K is a Yom Tov for those who aren't fasting. And we would get deli sandwiches for lunch, which was also a special treat in our home. No heating necessary.

Having a treat for YK is interesting. This will be the first year that I can't fast (I have a heter). I was thinking of having a hard boiled egg, an apple, and some almond butter. Nothing fancy, because DH says that I shouldn't make a festive meal. I'll have to ask him about this!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur