Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Seminary for my DD as a new olah ? any ideas
Previous  1  2

helimum

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 4:17 pm
sara_s wrote:
Maybe Ofakim? Its a seminary in the south of Israel (in the town of Ofakim) for Israeli girls. But it will all be in Hebrew, so the language may be very difficult for her. And its more to the right of BY. The plus is that there will be a lot of Anglo girls from RBS and Jerusalem going there, and the tuition is much more reasonable than American seems (I'm guessing around 20,000 shekels for the year)

I think it'll probably be too to the right and to academically demanding from what I've heard... I will look into it more though as I don't want to rule anything sensible out .. and it definitely is a another good idea!!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:45 pm
How about Midreshet Yeud? My sister went and really enjoyed. It might be more modern than what you're looking for, but supposedly it was originally a sem for Israeli girls that then opened to American girls as well. And my sister's year had a bunch of girls from the UK. Plus all the girls got the Sherut Leumi experience while they were there.

helimum

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:20 am
sara_s wrote:
Maybe Ofakim? Its a seminary in the south of Israel (in the town of Ofakim) for Israeli girls. But it will all be in Hebrew, so the language may be very difficult for her. And its more to the right of BY. The plus is that there will be a lot of Anglo girls from RBS and Jerusalem going there, and the tuition is much more reasonable than American seems (I'm guessing around 20,000 shekels for the year)

That's really funny because a friend just mentioned Ofakim to me and mentioned that she thinks there are similar programs around Israel that are for post high school girls where they do courses ( for 18-20 year olds) anyone know anything about these?

helimum

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:22 am
amother wrote:
How about Midreshet Yeud? My sister went and really enjoyed. It might be more modern than what you're looking for, but supposedly it was originally a sem for Israeli girls that then opened to American girls as well. And my sister's year had a bunch of girls from the UK. Plus all the girls got the Sherut Leumi experience while they were there.

I have heard of it and it has a good reputation but its quite hashkofically different from where we are holding and I think her feeling as congruent with the family is really important!

catonmylap

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:02 am
What about Michlala- there is an Israeli program too, which is definitely cheaper. The Israeli girls there were very frum, maybe not quite haredi though. I know my very DL cousins considered Michlala too haredi for them.

kollel wife

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:35 am
Generally speaking American seminaries in E"Y are very, very expensive.
Can you consider her remaining in the UK?

helimum

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 3:56 pm
catonmylap wrote:
What about Michlala- there is an Israeli program too, which is definitely cheaper. The Israeli girls there were very frum, maybe not quite haredi though. I know my very DL cousins considered Michlala too haredi for them.

Too academic ... I know I sound picky but I really think I do have a good idea of what she needs , jsut not where it exits!

helimum

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 3:58 pm
kollel wife wrote:
Generally speaking American seminaries in E"Y are very, very expensive.
Can you consider her remaining in the UK?

We live in one of the yeshiva towns in the UK and she doesn't feel that the options in the other yeshiva town are right for her, to be honest , my kids are very into going to EY and would be gutted if they had to stay behind here without us !

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 4:09 pm
helimum wrote:
I've met both Rabbi Kagan and Rabbi Rosenstein when they were last in the UK , they were both lovely and I'll definitely get in contact with them !
What's your feel for Darchei Bina ... I can't work out how academic it really is?

Darchei Binah Alumna chiming in...

DB is academic in the sense that there's work, tests, classes start early, night classes, only a couple nights off a week, etc. It's definitely school. It will be more pressure if she is getting college credit, less pressure if she is not. They care about attendance but if a girl is trying but not getting the grades (and isn't getting college credit) then she's not going to get kicked out. I'm sure the curriculum and teachers have changed a bit since I was there but you had to take several chumash/navi classes, 2 halacha classes, other text based classes. I wasn't the type to take fluffier teachers who just 'shmooze' but there are probably a couple of those as well. There are choices of classes built into what girls HAVE to take (let's say 5 choices for the 2 navi classes that need to be filled... just giving an ex of what I mean that may not be accurate amount)

I am a VERY typical DB girl, I can't say I loved all the classes but I gained a LOT from the whole experience and the classes I did enjoy and I can definitely credit the school for who I am today, who I married, where I live etc.

Shana bet classes are awesome though Smile Loved every one of those Smile Smile

sara_s

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:04 pm
helimum wrote:
That's really funny because a friend just mentioned Ofakim to me and mentioned that she thinks there are similar programs around Israel that are for post high school girls where they do courses ( for 18-20 year olds) anyone know anything about these?

There are many Israeli seminaries, girls only colleges, and other programs around the country, where you can study for a degree or soms other kind of certificate. But for a real"sem" experience- where all the girls dorm etc.- Ofakkm is the only one I know.theres also rechasim which is much smaller and is run by the same people (it's smaller, more "homey" and less academic)

helimum

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
Darchei Binah Alumna chiming in...

DB is academic in the sense that there's work, tests, classes start early, night classes, only a couple nights off a week, etc. It's definitely school. It will be more pressure if she is getting college credit, less pressure if she is not. They care about attendance but if a girl is trying but not getting the grades (and isn't getting college credit) then she's not going to get kicked out. I'm sure the curriculum and teachers have changed a bit since I was there but you had to take several chumash/navi classes, 2 halacha classes, other text based classes. I wasn't the type to take fluffier teachers who just 'shmooze' but there are probably a couple of those as well. There are choices of classes built into what girls HAVE to take (let's say 5 choices for the 2 navi classes that need to be filled... just giving an ex of what I mean that may not be accurate amount)

I am a VERY typical DB girl, I can't say I loved all the classes but I gained a LOT from the whole experience and the classes I did enjoy and I can definitely credit the school for who I am today, who I married, where I live etc.

Shana bet classes are awesome though Smile Loved every one of those Smile Smile

Thanks so much , your info was actually really similar to another DB alumna is spoke to , I do like the sound of it but still think it may be too hard for DD.

helimum

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 1:30 pm
sara_s wrote:
There are many Israeli seminaries, girls only colleges, and other programs around the country, where you can study for a degree or soms other kind of certificate. But for a real"sem" experience- where all the girls dorm etc.- Ofakkm is the only one I know.theres also rechasim which is much smaller and is run by the same people (it's smaller, more "homey" and less academic)

Thank you ... I'll look into Rechasim , I suppose we've just got to decide if its better to try for a standard shana aleph anglo program or an israeli version .

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 2:19 pm
I know you said you are not interested in michlala but I just wanted to say that I made aliyah with my family the summer after graduating high school and went to michlala and loved it. There were a couple of other girls who had made aliyah either that summer or a year or two before so I wasn't the only one. The school had no problem with it (but I think we did pay the full american price). I went home pretty much every shabbos (except for the once a month shabbatons) but some of the other girls with family here rarely went home. I have a friend who went to darchei bina (I think) in a similar situation and I'm pretty sure that she told me that the school made some rules for her because they didn't want her going home all the time. In michlala I just had to follow the normal curfew and sleeping out rules. I loved being in michlala, living in the apartments and everything but not having to figure out what to do every shabbos! I brought friends home all the time and it was really nice.
I know you said you think michlala is too academic but are considering darchei bina - I'm pretty sure that they are very similar academically...
I also know girls who went to mmy and shaalvim after making aliyah with families but those are probably not what you are looking for.
Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions