Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Ranchleigh- Baltimore
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:23 pm
How's Ranchleigh pronounced?
Is it a safe neighborhood?
M.O. or yeshivish, or both?
I'm looking for a left-wing m.o. place. Have three kids, age 16, 10, and 8.
How far is it from Bais Yaakov High School? I have been offered a job there, and trying to find a left-wing m.o. neighborhood nearby.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:46 pm
RANCH-lee

Yes.

Both. Frum neighborhoods here are mixed. North of Smith (but that's not Ranchleigh) there are fewer frum families and the ones you find are, on average, more modern.

Maybe close to Moses Montefiore Liberty Jewish Center — but it's not really a Shomer Shabbos neighborhood. The are LWMO families scattered throughout the area, except maybe close to the Agudah of Park Heights.

How far is it from Bais Yaakov High School?
With no traffic, about a 5 minute drive

I have been offered a job there, and trying to find a left-wing m.o. neighborhood nearby.
B'hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:51 pm
Thank you for all that info, Rubberducky! I appreciate it!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:26 pm
Where will your kids be going to school? There arent any good options for left wing m.o. You will find some people in ranchleigh like that but overall baltimore is moving more and more to the right. It is considered very safe and is really close to BY high school but I really question whether you will find your chevra here. Many m.o. families with older kids have moved to silver spring for chinuch purposes and love it there.

Batyah85

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:35 pm
There are some left wing mo families in summit park- (across smith ave from ranchleigh). Are you planning on busing your kids to silver spring to school? Or send to Beth Tfiloh? Depending on your definition of left wing MO- this may make a difference as to which neighborhood your family would be comfortable...

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:54 pm
How far of a drive is it from Silver Spring to Ranchleigh?

Batyah85

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:01 pm
45 mns- in traffic could be 1.5 hours even...

lylac

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:48 pm
Ohr Chadash is pretty MO, but they only have an elementary school, but they might be able to suggest some neighborhoods where their students live.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:04 pm
My child was in Ohr Chadash - his classmates lived all over the Jewish community. There was no one neighborhood. There were children living near Reisterstown Road, near Pikesville High School, in Ranchleigh,...

I think it might help if you visit Baltimore and check out shuls. You might find one that you like and you can find out what people in that shul do for education. It is true that a bunch of Baltimore families moved to Silver Spring because there was no MO high school in Baltimore.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 8:49 pm
I've been hearing that lots of m.o. kids go to Bais Yaakov. Is that misrepresented?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
How far is it from Bais Yaakov High School? I have been offered a job there, and trying to find a left-wing m.o. neighborhood nearby.

ranch lee

one of the safest neighborhoods in baltimore. although all baltimore neighborhoods are subjected to some crime since baltimore city is a very inner city urban area with a very high population of low income families. Ranchleigh is on the wealthier side and the housing there is pretty expensive for baltimore prices.

ranchleigh is not very MO but not super yeshivish either. I would classify it as just plain frum working families.

baltimore does not have a huge MO community but it does exist. everyone is mixed together so the best way to find a MO community is to get affiliated with a MO shul. Shomrei Emuna, Sharai Zion, and Suburban Orthodox are the big ones I can think of. Ner Tamid is a little more to the left and also a good place.

Bais Yaakov is about a 15 minute drive from the community.

Bais yaakov is not MO but a big mix of girls go there. The MO schools in Baltimore are Ohr Chadash and Beth Tefilla. (Beth Tefilla has many kids who are not shomer shabbos though)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:16 pm
BY Elementary is about a 15 minute drive (maybe 25 minutes from some areas), but the HS is just past Ranchleigh and very close by. Maybe from the PH/Falstaff area it's 15 minutes, but I'm clarifying since there are 2 BY campuses, and I wouldn't consider the MS/HS 15 minutes away, especially in context of Ranchleigh.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:13 pm
I'm referring to BY High School on Smith Ave.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:21 pm
Right, the HS on Smith is about 5 minutes from Ranchleigh if there's no traffic.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:28 pm
Thanks RD. And what is the neighborhood of Bnos High school?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:33 pm
All of Bnos, preschool to high school, is in one building on PH Avenue. Upper PH.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:36 pm
So the neighborhood of Bnos is called Upper Park Heights?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:41 pm
That's correct.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:45 pm
Thanks for all the info!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 1:39 am
It's great that you were offered a job at Bais Yaakov (!), but Baltimore can be difficult for people who are really mo, let alone left wing. It can be REALLY hard to find a chevra, because the mo community on whole isn't super welcoming, partially it's spread out and Baltimore is big enough that people don't always know when someone is new to town. The m.o. people here spans the gamut of serious YU types, a few learned JOFA/Maharat supporters, and people who aren't shomer mitzvot but like going to more traditional services. In general, it can be a hard place to break into.

It's also taken for granted that most people will have yeshivish views, not in a mean way, but a lot of people just don't realize that there are people in this community who don't think stockings and head coverings are necessary in order to be shomer mitzvot. Baltimore is very much a kollel town. This isn't everyone's experience, but it is a prevailing experience here for me. Black hats abound, and even the rebbeim at some of the m.o. shuls are yeshivish.

If you have several kids and you want a chevra for them, I'd recommend Beth Tfiloh (which isn't really mo because a huge chunk of the students are religious) or moving to Silver Spring and commuting to Baltimore.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating