Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Tashlich in Midwood

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 3:15 pm
Where can I do tashlich in Midwood? I have a baby and a toddler and am on foot so it has to be a short walk.

Thanks

STovah

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 4:26 pm
Unless someone has a backyard pond, I don't think there is anything a short walk from Midwood. A longer walk would be to Sheepshead Bay or Marine Park, or take the city bus or train to Brighton Beach or Coney Island.

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 4:51 pm
Brooklyn College has a small lake with fish, but I think that access is officially only for students. I once heard that there was a shul on Ocean Parkway (Chabad?) that had a small pond with fish, but I don't know if this is still accurate. The easiest would be to take the B68 down Coney Island or Q train to the ocean.

iluvy

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:33 pm
AFAIK Brooklyn College's pond is open for the public every Rosh Hashana. No longer applicable but you can know for the future.

There is a waterfall/pond with fish on the corner of Avenue I and E16th.

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 6:53 pm
So the whole 2 days of Rosh Hashana anybody can just walk in and say Tashlich without any problems? That's great to know for the future!

And the waterfall on Ave. I - my kids actually asked about that, but I didn't think there were any fish in it. Do you know for sure that there are?

joy613

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:04 pm
I'm not sure that there need to be fish for you to say tashlich. A
Ask your LOR. I know plenty of people who say it at keilim mikvahs, closed up wells, their kitchen sink, etc..

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:38 am
iluvy wrote:
AFAIK Brooklyn College's pond is open for the public every Rosh Hashana. No longer applicable but you can know for the future.

Thanks!

I know there is a house somewhere in Midwood close to Coney Island avenue with 2 koi ponds in the front yard. I seem to only find it when I'm not thinking about tashlich. I wish I wrote down the address!

Does anyone know which house I am referring to?

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:00 am
Ooh, just did tashlich over a kiddie pool full of goldfish at a shul at 1305 ave R between e 13th and 14th st.

iluvy

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 5:29 pm
The waterfall has a bunch of fish in it, and even a couple of turtles. (You're right, they're not necessary, but it does make it seem like a more legitimate body of water.)

Someone just told me about his roommate in Lakewood who did tashlich in his negel vasser cup in the morning. I guess he thought his aveiros could comfortably fit in there Smile

Pooh

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 5:49 pm
iluvy wrote:

Thank You I went to e16 and took my sister too. Then a lady saw us and also decided to do it!

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 5:58 pm
it's supposed to be a natural body of water. not a man-made one.

iluvy

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 6:42 pm
octopus wrote:
it's supposed to be a natural body of water. not a man-made one.

Not everyone holds like that. Ask your Rav.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics