Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Driving on highways

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:02 pm
Hi! Is there anyone here that enjoys driving but hates driving on highways? Or driving places far because they have a terrible sense of direction?
Anyone on here that had this issue, and was able to overcome it? And how.
Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:10 pm
if your problem is a bad sense of directions would a GPS help?

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:20 pm
The only way to overcome it is to do it, a lot and often. There will always be situations you won't like--heavy traffic on a major thoroughfare with a speeding 18-wheeler on your tail, another in front of you and a third in the next lane, for example. You'd have to be nuts to enjoy that. But with time and practice, you get used to it, and then the speed of getting places will lead you to prefer highways with light to moderate traffic over local streets and their endless traffic lights, mothers jaywalking with strollers ahead of them, children chasing runaway balls, oblivious young people crossing in their smartphone bubbles, wiseguys driving half a block in reverse to snag a parking spot, double-parked trucks making deliveries, etc. etc.

With GPS you know you'll get where you're going even if you don't take the most direct route and miss a few exits. But of course it's always more comfortable to drive on roads you're familiar with. That's why you have to drive a lot. Eventually you learn where the various highways switch off so you can get where you want to go even if you miss an exit or have to get off the highway because of congestion or something.

joy613

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:30 pm
Start doing it with someone else in the car.
I used to be like but now I'm totally fine b'h and like zaq described so well, prefer highways whenever I can.

What made me the most nervous about highway driving was the whole changing lanes thing. For some reason I could not do it..I felt like the cars are driving so fast it's impossible to get into their lane so how will I ever be able to get off at the correct exit. And you can't just slow down on a highway like you can do on a street. Also- how can I be driving fast while focusing on the road and at the same time look into my mirror and also turn my head back to check that it's an ok time to switch lanes. IT seemed completely overwhelming and impossible to me.
But slowly I practiced with family members in the car who were encouraging. (NOT backseat drivers type). I can't say I never missed exits. It sure was a pain trying to figure out how to get to our destination getting off at the next exit...but I learned to get into the exit lane super early even if it was slower. And I learned the way to change lanes, and eventuallly from doing it so many times I just got more comfortable at it.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:51 pm
Thanks both of u for ur tips!
I feel like for most people it comes so naturally. For example- for me, everytime I go from Brooklyn to monsey I get lost. I freak out. Like almost have a panic attack. Everyone's driving so fast and I'm trying to figure out where to go.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:53 pm
I get messed up with a gps too lol.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 12:05 am
amother wrote:
Thanks both of u for ur tips!
I feel like for most people it comes so naturally. For example- for me, everytime I go from Brooklyn to monsey I get lost. I freak out. Like almost have a panic attack. Everyone's driving so fast and I'm trying to figure out where to go.

I take the west side (no winding roads like the fdr) to the gwb, then the palisades and exit early to avoid the gsp & ny thru. there are no trucks and it makes a smoother drive.

a gps will allow you to pick an alternate route and not get lost.

by the way, I hate highway driving and will do local roads when possible. I was forced to drive on a highway to go to a simcha. it gets easier over time, but having my kids in the car without an adult is hard.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:33 am
Thanks!! I guess I gotta start driving on unfamiliar roads more often Smile

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 12:20 pm
I always find it funny how all my friends from Brooklyn are scared of driving on highways and my friends from monsey are scared of driving in Brooklyn but have no problems with highways. (I'm from monsey btw and started driving on highways while I had my permit at age 16) I think it's because if u live in monsey u haveta drive on highways to get anywhere (example any mall) but ur not used to the traffic and busyness of Brooklyn

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
I take the west side (no winding roads like the fdr) to the gwb, then the palisades and exit early to avoid the gsp & ny thru. there are no trucks and it makes a smoother drive.

a gps will allow you to pick an alternate route and not get lost.

by the way, I hate highway driving and will do local roads when possible. I was forced to drive on a highway to go to a simcha. it gets easier over time, but having my kids in the car without an adult is hard.

this. and splurge for the battery tunnel. costs more, saves sanity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics