Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Potty Problems at age 5!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:28 pm
My son who's almost 5 has been successfully potty trained since hes 2.5 years old. He's always had issues with getting dirty or smelly, he also had some sensory issues. The last 2-3 months he won't use the bathroom at all unless I force him to go. His excuse is 'going to the bathroom is gross'! I tried so many things but so far nothing helped. If I decided I'm not going to send him to the bathroom he will hold it in from morning till the time he goes to bed, by then I force him to go. He never makes real accidents like puddles on the floor but his underwear can be a little wet from time to time. Poop is an entirely different story! Poop is so gross per him that he needs to hold it in for days at a time! He's on miralax now but he won't use the bathroom till his underwear get a little dirty. Punishments & rewards have not worked. Any help? Im desperate!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:35 pm
amother wrote:
My son who's almost 5 has been successfully potty trained since hes 2.5 years old. He's always had issues with getting dirty or smelly, he also had some sensory issues. The last 2-3 months he won't use the bathroom at all unless I force him to go. His excuse is 'going to the bathroom is gross'! I tried so many things but so far nothing helped. If I decided I'm not going to send him to the bathroom he will hold it in from morning till the time he goes to bed, by then I force him to go. He never makes real accidents like puddles on the floor but his underwear can be a little wet from time to time. Poop is an entirely different story! Poop is so gross per him that he needs to hold it in for days at a time! He's on miralax now but he won't use the bathroom till his underwear get a little dirty. Punishments & rewards have not worked. Any help? Im desperate!

I realize that your son does not have an autism diagnosis. Toilet Training for Individuals with Autism or Other Developmental Delays (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toilet-training-for-individuals-with-autism-or-other-developmental-issues-maria-wheeler/1008506437?cm_mmc=google+product+search-_-q000000633-_-9781932565492pla-_-book_15to24-_-q000000633-_-9781932565492&ean=9781932565492&isbn=9781932565492&kpid=9781932565492&r=1) has a lot of practical advice for older children with sensory issues vis-a-vis the bathroom. It may be a worthwhile read.

If your son works with an occupational therapists who specializes in sensory processing disorders, they may be able to provide additional advice.

You can try Googling for social stories about children using the bathroom... reading stories may help your son to feel more comfortable with the process. (See https://www.google.com/webhp?s.....ining for some ideas.)

I know what it's like to force a five year old to use the bathroom... my son ka'h trained when he was already five. I am davening for you and look forward to you posting good news soon!

anonymom

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:40 pm
I'm sure you thought of telling him that it's gross to keep it in.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:46 pm
OP here.

My son basically outgrew most of his sensory issues therefore is no longer receiving therapy for that. This is something he decided it's gross & no explanation can change it. I've tried telling him he might c'v get sick if he holds it in, told him he'll have a bad smell etc etc. nothing's working!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:20 pm
See if you can consult with his former therapists. From what you write, this sounds like a sensory (or maybe perceived sensory?) issue and they should have some ideas. The resources that I suggested should be a good starting point, I also remember seeing another book a few years ago about a boy who is scared to defecate into the toilet... I'll see if I can find the name.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:23 pm
Also look up "habit training" as a form of toilet training.

If your son isn't interested in talking this through/being reasoned with then your best bet may be encouraging him to develop new toileting habits. Also make sure he knows that he will be rewarded for defecating into the toilet while keeping his underwear clean (play a game with him that he enjoys, a special dinner, a trip somewhere, whatever works). Don't link it to just keeping underwear clean, as he'll just hold it in -- link it to having clean underwear after defecating, so that he is encouraged to sit on the toilet before he begins to have a bowel movement.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers