Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
6 month old only wants to sleep on stomach

freshair

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 1:35 am
I'm so scared of this. Should I still be concerned at such an age? He turns over and picks up his head very well. Please let me know. Having trouble falling asleep calmly.

pickle321

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 1:42 am
staystrong wrote:
I'm so scared of this. Should I still be concerned at such an age? He turns over and picks up his head very well. Please let me know. Having trouble falling asleep calmly.

I think it's fine if he's already rolling over. They say you should put them to sleep on their backs but if they roll onto their stomachs you don't have to flip them back. My baby often rolls onto her stomach when she's sleeping and I leave her.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 1:57 am
I know everyone says back is better! But both my kids would ONLY sleep (And still do!!) on their stomachs. I just made sure to keep an eye on them. I would minimize big blankets, and rather put on more layers. But by 6 months, when they know how to roll over, I wouldn't worry so much.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 5:51 am
I heard it's okay once they can roll over easily both ways.

little_mage

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 6:30 am
As soon as my daughter started rolling over, she started rolling over to sleep on her stomach as soon as I put her down. I still put her down on her back though, but then she gets into her own comfy position. Once the baby can get onto their stomach by themselves, it's okay.

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 9:47 am
Only worry after vaccines.

You could get a baby sense machine.

freshair

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:34 am
chani8 wrote:
Only worry after vaccines.

You could get a baby sense machine.

Why should I worry then?

spring13

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:39 am
If he rolls over IT'S FINE.

Supermom#1

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:43 am
staystrong wrote:
Why should I worry then?

Because of the possibility of a vaccine reaction where a baby's breathing might become compromised....could to keep an eye just in case

freshair

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:47 am
Supermom#1 wrote:
Because of the possibility of a vaccine reaction where a baby's breathing might become compromised....could to keep an eye just in case

That's really scary! !!!!!

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:51 am
I have no idea of this. The human spine doesn't like to be flattened out; it is a curved design. In my day infants HAD to be on their stomachs, and I have never heard of a problem.

If this is about SIDS, SIDS is another problem altogether, it is about carbon dioxide exhalate not being dissipated from around the baby because the air in the room is too still. It is a ventilation issue. A fan or open door would take care of that.

Back isn't best.

If the kid can turn himself I don't see what the problem is. YES a baby should not be off in the distance; he should be where you can see and hear him, near you.

I would not over-dress sleeping child.

I would not hassle anybody about their sleeping position, ever.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 12:45 pm
I would also make sure you have a non-toxic mattress or a proper mattress cover:

http://www.mommypotamus.com/do.....sids/
www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-bu.....ress/

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:20 pm
Ew.

Of course tanned hides, furs, and animal skins have germ-killing stuff put in them, to keep them from rotting like meat.

They are from an animal. They have to have preservatives in them.

That is ok: nobody envisioned sticking your nose closely into the hides all night. Especially not an infant. They are for rugs, furniture, or coats. Air is moving around. Not face masks or bed pillows.

And the fuzziness of the fur. The soft plush. No. No fuzziness.

It gets in your nose. Meaning an infant nose. It has the potential to block the nose and hinder breathing. It's like lying in a field of grass: it comes up above ground level.

So, just a flat sheet in a crib or cot. One that is stretched tight enough, and elastic-edged enough, to not wrinkle. Any wrinkles could create a barrier for the infant's nose. It's a very small nose.

You might put a waterproof pad underneath it, if you want. Below the sheet, to protect the mattress. But nothing on the sheet, no toys, no blanket, nothing. Put a small fan in the room. Doesn't have to be much at all, just something. Leave the door open.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:23 pm
the regular crib mattresses also have problems with gasses. use something like this to wrap your mattress: http://www.harlowsearth.com/
it's not expensive.

frimamom

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 4:33 pm
I believe you can do what you want.

My baby had reflux so I put him on his stomach incase he vomits in the middle of the night he shouldn't choke on it.

15 years ago they said the stomach is healthier, now they say stomach. Give it a few years they will change their minds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics