Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Desserts from this week's ami living?

HappyGoLucky1

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:34 pm
Does anybody have the ami living from the Rosh Hashanah issue? I can't find mine and I I wanted to make the napoleons and the cookie dough fudge pie. Does anyone happen to have the recipes?
Thanks!

mommyla

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 3:25 pm
I just made the cookie dough fudge pie, it looks delicious! I actually doubled it and made one in a graham cracker crust and one in a chocolate crust.

1 graham cracker pie crust

Cookie dough layer:
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp milk or milk substitute
1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. mini chocolate chips

Fudge layer:
1 c. oil
1 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder

Prep cookie dough layer. Beat oil and sugars, add vanilla, milk & flour until smooth. Add chocolate chips and stir. Set aside (can use same bowl for fudge layer - no need to wash it first).

Prep fudge layer. Beat oil & sugar, add vanilla, baking powder and eggs until smooth. Turn mixer to low and add flour & cocoa powder until combined.

Pour fudge layer into crust. Place small pieces of cookie dough on top of fudge and push into the fudge to partially bury it. Distribute cookie dough evenly over fudge.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

HappyGoLucky1

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:14 am
Omg thankkkk youuuu!
Do you happen to have the napoleon recipe also?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:58 am
Do you serve that warm?

HappyGoLucky1

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:42 am
I wasn't going to

mommyla

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:59 am
According to the recipe you can serve it warm, hot, or partially frozen. I can't wait to try it, it smelled delicious! I also made the spare ribs from that issue and DH said they were amazing.

I can try to get you the napoleon recipe later.

sky

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 8:33 am
Did you have enough cookie dough to cover the fudge? I doubled it and there was barely enough cookie so I thought I did something wrong and made the cookie dough a second time and I still felt it was skimpy even with both batches.

mommyla

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 10:55 pm
Really? I had plenty. It didn't cover every single centimeter but it covered most of it, like crumbs on top of a kugel. I crumbled it up over the fudge. Did you use a big pie crust or "bury" too many pieces in the fudge?

Here's the napoleon recipe (looks yum, I don't have enough time to make it and we have some allergies in the family, not going to patchke if not everyone can eat it!):

3 large sheets (1.5 packages) puff pastry dough

Chocolate cream:
1-3/4 c. soy milk
1 pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 c. chocolate hazelnut spread
1/2 c. non-dairy whipped topping

PB cream:
1-3/4 c. soy milk
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1 c. non-dairy whipped topping

PB glaze:
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp oil
4 tsp water

Chocolate glaze:
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread
1 Tbsp oil
4 tsp water

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cut each pastry sheet into 6 equal rectangles. Place squares on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven & immediately press on puff pastry with a cookie sheet to flatten the pastry.

Put pastry back in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and press again with baking sheet. Let cool between the baking sheets to prevent puffing.

Prep chocolate cream. Mix milk & pudding mix until smooth. Add chocolate spread and whisk til smooth. Whip whipped topping & fold into chocolate mixture. Place in fridge until set, at least one hour or up to a couple of days.

Prep PB cream. (See chocolate cream instructions.)

Prepare glazes. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl (separate bowls for each glaze, duh) until smooth.

Assembly:
Spread PB cream onto cooled pastry square. Spread chocolate cream on another square. Layer napoleon: square with PB cream on bottom, then top with square with chocolate cream. Drizzle glazes on top of completed napoleon.

To create the look pictured, pipe the cream with a 1M piping tip rather than spreading.
Yields 12 napoleons.

Then send some over to me!!!

mommyla

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 10:58 pm
Now that I'm rereading it, I'm not sure if that's a mistake that the PB cream has 1 cup of whip and the chocolate cream has 1/2 cup. That's what the recipe says.

mol

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 12:36 am
Just made this but not sure if it's ready yet! Mine is very runny inside like molten chocolate cake. Is it supp to be like that?

rdmom

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:22 am
This is too cute. As I am typing this my fudge pie is cooling on the counter and my creams for the Napoleon is in the fridge for the described hour. Took a break to pack up since I am going to my parents for yom Tov. This is my contribution for their meal. I couldn't do it any earlier since I got home from work at close to 9 pm. So looks like I will be pulling an all nighter. But back to work at 11 for me in the morning.

rdmom

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 3:43 am
Never again am I making the Napoleon. This is the first time I am making anything of the sort.
The choc hazelnut cream came out too runny. I really wanted to assemble it tonight and the whole thing looks like a hot mess. I find that the directions weren't thorough enough. My glaze didn't come nearly as good and nice as what was pictured.
But the fudge pie. Looks heaven. And smells it too. It better be good.
But the Napoleon was a waste of my precious time. Did anybody end up making it having it look good? It definitely tastes yum. Just al flopped and running all over the place.

Rosemarie

Post Sat, Oct 11 2014, 11:44 pm
mommyla wrote:
I just made the cookie dough fudge pie, it looks delicious! I actually doubled it and made one in a graham cracker crust and one in a chocolate crust.

1 graham cracker pie crust

Cookie dough layer:
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp milk or milk substitute
1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. mini chocolate chips

Fudge layer:
1 c. oil
1 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder

Prep cookie dough layer. Beat oil and sugars, add vanilla, milk & flour until smooth. Add chocolate chips and stir. Set aside (can use same bowl for fudge layer - no need to wash it first).

Prep fudge layer. Beat oil & sugar, add vanilla, baking powder and eggs until smooth. Turn mixer to low and add flour & cocoa powder until combined.

Pour fudge layer into crust. Place small pieces of cookie dough on top of fudge and push into the fudge to partially bury it. Distribute cookie dough evenly over fudge.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

I made this on yom tov, my oven was on 350 all yom tov and I just mixed everything with a fork. We served it warm with a scoop of ice cream. It was heavenly! Gooey, fudgey and so delicious! I am making 2 more for the second days. It was also really easy to make. I think my 7 year old might be able to make the next batch by herself

mommyla

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 10:41 am
The cookie dough fudge pie was AWESOME! I served it hot, cold, warm, every temperature, and every last bite was polished off. I'm serving it again for the last days. Delicious!

cbsp

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:31 pm
I made the fudge pie twice over Succos. Anyone else find it too oily (especially the cookie dough part)? That's why I made it the second time, cuz I was sure I messed up the first time. Had the same greasy (but otherwise yummy) results.

pelle

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 10:47 pm
Mine also came out oily! but thank you to the poster who posted it. Everyone loved it. I thought I made a mistake and added too much oil. I guess not? I wonder if it would be as yummy if we put in less oil?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics