Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I'm weird. now what?
1  2  Next

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:01 pm
I fatigue easily, and leave myself and my house for last. Which means messy home.its really getting to us lately.
I have discovered that I move and work more when there is someone around to talk with. But it doesn't work when I'm on the phone.
What else can I do to get moving on the homefront? I'm usually home alone, getting nothing done Sad

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:02 pm
if you throw out 3/4 of your belongings, you'll have less to clean up.

seriously, though, do some basic decluttering. a little at a time. throwing things out really helps.

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:16 pm
I declutter regularly. I just moved, and DH an d I were RUTHLESS about bringing nothing with.... but we wear clothes,we cook in pots, and it all comes out but never gets put away.
And my kids are following in my footsteps.
I will try to declutter now...I'm sure I'll come up with something to ditch. Thanks!

Lani22

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:23 pm
Talking on the phone works for me , but if nobody is around I blast my favorite music that usually gets me moving. I also go room by room I take small breaks between rooms and reward myself at the end with a great tv show or a treat...

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:28 pm
Try playing upbeat, energetic and happy music when doing chores. The faster the music, the faster you move.

Pretend your mother-in-law is coming to visit.

For a really wacky idea, consider sharing chores with a friend once or twice a week. For one hour, she helps you with your chores, then you go to her place and help her with her chores for an hour. Then you treat yourselves to coffee and mezonos or lunch.

Or barter services: your friend cleans your house for an hour or two and you do something for her that you do well and she doesn't, or she doesn't like doing. Bake challah, say, or iron shirts.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 11:31 pm
Jewishmofm wrote:
I fatigue easily, and leave myself and my house for last. Which means messy home.its really getting to us lately.
I have discovered that I move and work more when there is someone around to talk with. But it doesn't work when I'm on the phone.
What else can I do to get moving on the homefront? I'm usually home alone, getting nothing done Sad

are you a tv watcher?

I'm insanely lazy and low energy, and DH will confirm that I'm terribly messy. but every week I pick a couple of hours to watch some guilty pleasure shows, and I clean during the commercials. I haven't lost my evening, and I get to be 90% lazy. you would be surprised how much you can do in three minutes. seriously not kidding.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 12:03 am
I listen to a shiur from torahanytime.com or listen to classical music

marina

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 12:15 am
book on tape

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 6:32 am
Invite Shabbos guests. It'll get the adrenaline pumping.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 7:21 am
Get DH to keep you company. Often, when I have a dirty table left from supper, a sink full of dishes, a dirty floor, I get DH to come and do his learning in the kitchen, and I chit chat and clean around him, much more pleasant.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:49 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
are you a tv watcher?

I'm insanely lazy and low energy, and DH will confirm that I'm terribly messy. but every week I pick a couple of hours to watch some guilty pleasure shows, and I clean during the commercials. I haven't lost my evening, and I get to be 90% lazy. you would be surprised how much you can do in three minutes. seriously not kidding.
Perfect solution for me - Thanks
My kitchen is upside down and one of my daughters usually comes in and cleans up (I'm pretty spoiled) - Well one is in America and the other in Yerushalyim coming home erev YK with my parents. Someone had to find the kitchen!! TV was a great idea! I put my laptop on the counter with a mindless show and just one episode and the kitchen is clean!! Thanks for the idea

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:52 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
are you a tv watcher?

If you watch online, and have a laptop, you can get even more mileage out of this. I've done a lot of housework while watching TV shows available online (laptop is in kitchen for watching dishes, then move to living room to sweep up, etc).

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:27 am
ora_43 wrote:
If you watch online, and have a laptop, you can get even more mileage out of this. I've done a lot of housework while watching TV shows available online (laptop is in kitchen for watching dishes, then move to living room to sweep up, etc).

you guys are so funny.

I don't clean "while" watching tv. I clean during the commercials. that's how lazy I am. but hey, if this idea works for you go ahead!

iluvy

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:11 am
I clean with a book in one hand Smile It takes longer but otherwise it wouldn't happen at all!

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:47 am
Wow, and I can't clean with any distraction. I wait for my husband to leave for Maariv/learning and my baby to fall asleep and THEN I become Supermom, cleaning the house in a frenzy.

When you take something out, put it back.
When you take off clothing, hang it up.
When you get out of bed, make the bed.
When you finish with it, put it back.

It takes 10 times longer to put something away the next day.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:58 am
I find helpful anything audio such as speeches/ shiurim.

To get myself started, I tell myself to do just one little thing and usually once I do that, I'll just continue.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:04 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
are you a tv watcher?

Im embarrassed to admit how much I watch, ever since I discovered this method. I watch while I wash dishes, fold laundry, clean up the toys, iron...even when I cook. It's a little embarrassing, but I get a lot more done this way because everything is less boring. I wasn't terribly messy before, but I am definitely even neater and cleaner now.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 6:27 pm
I clicked on this bc I think I'm weird too!!! My tip is to say to myself that I don't have to actually clean up. I just have to TRY to clean up, and Hashem will help. He will sort of finish the job. And although it is pretty weird, it usually works.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 6:31 pm
I am a little better at doing things since I got an MP3 player & download shiurim.

Some of us are just bored by domesticity & can't handle the lack of stimulation. Listening to something helps.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 6:59 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
Im embarrassed to admit how much I watch, ever since I discovered this method. I watch while I wash dishes, fold laundry, clean up the toys, iron...even when I cook. It's a little embarrassing, but I get a lot more done this way because everything is less boring. I wasn't terribly messy before, but I am definitely even neater and cleaner now.

I've tried this before. when I'm unmotivated, commercial breaks work wonders. but I can't understand how anyone watches tv while washing dishes. the sound of running water blocks out the sound of the tv. even if I turn up the volume, it's not clear. and I can't look at the screen. total waste.

for those who like tv shows and want to clean during the show itself, check out some old time radio shows while you're at it. those are fun, and you don't have to miss any visuals while cleaning.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry