Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Pidyon Haben Theme

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 5:38 am
I have some time, but I want to be prepared with the cost.
I am grandma.
We know its a boy
First boy in the family that carries the family name, so it's a big deal.
Hopefully we will have a pidyon
In Lakewood, I'm from OOT.
Do people do themes at a pidyon?
Centerpieces, like balloons?
Is it done in a hall?
Is it preferable night or day?

I've only been to 2.

One was an elegant sit down dinner in the home, like a Sheva Brochos. All home made, elegant but small. 10 couples (more or les) plus family, maybe 30-35 ppl total. They put some flowers at the table.

The other was in a small hall with teddy bears and balloon theme. They had a catered buffet dinner, and a beautiful dessert table coordinating with the theme. BUT, they did not have a big Bris, because it was YT, Pesach. The Bris was at the shul, but the meal was only family at the home. They served grape juice, fruit, and Pesach cake at the Shul, for the Bris.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 6:05 am
You just answered your own question. You could make a small gathering at home or you can go all out and have a fancy catered affair.It's up to you and your budget. (Just be sure to have a Cohen there.)

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:20 am
We had one in a hall, and it had to be done before Shkia. Since it was in November time, the actual pidyon had to be done before shkia (4-5 something I think) and the meal was afterwards (finished by 7). We had a huge turnout B"H even though it was on a Monday and lots of people work, they still came anyway after having left work early. We had at least 100 people, don't remember exactly.

We didn't do a theme. It's traditional to give out garlic and sugar which is blessed by the Kohen. You can make cute pouches or put them into some other cute container. We found little blue and clear baby bottles and filled those with garlic and sugar cubes. I can send you a picture if you PM me. Don't want to post them here in case anyone remembers them Wink

Just don't get your hopes up too high in case there's no pidyon.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:30 am
Yes I know I can do what ever I want, but what is usually done in Lakewood.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:34 am
amother wrote:

Hopefully we will have a pidyon
In Lakewood, I'm from OOT.
Do people do themes at a pidyon?

No

amother wrote:

Centerpieces, like balloons?

no balloons. Flowers, if you wish. More elegant, like a Sheva Berachos type of atmosphere.

amother wrote:

Is it done in a hall?

Yes. Usually a smaller hall, like for a Bar Mitzvah or vort...not a wedding hall.

amother wrote:

Is it preferable night or day?

The ones I've been to were toward evening time.

mommyla

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:02 am
We made one in a simple hall in Lakewood. Nice tablecloths from the gemach, pretty platters (from the gemach too) with cookies (Classy Cakes) as centerpieces. No theme. We just had family (a lot of people ka"h) and close friends. I can't remember when we did it for some reason, it was winter and I think we did it at lunch time to avoid shkia issues.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 3:08 pm
Chayalle wrote:
The ones I've been to were toward evening time.

OP here, thanks for the advice. This was really helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics