Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
If youre husband made $250.000
Previous  1  2  3

joy613

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:02 pm
iluvy wrote:
Sometimes, when I shop on something like nordstrom.com, I see these little 4T dresses for $800, and I always wonder how rich I would need to be before I would buy something like that. I know there are some people for whom money literally means nothing, but for a kid's dress?

Yes you'd be surprised how much people spend on their children's clothing. I know people who would buy an $800 dress for a kid.

zigi

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:26 pm
I would buy a pair of camper shoes and other comfortable shoes and not search for something decent and inexpensive, also a pair of uggs.

I would buy new shaitels.

I would also buy my son the 120$ sneakers that he wants

I really do dress pretty comfortably. I wouldn't change so much, I would still like getting deals

staten islander

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 11:20 am
However, people who earn $250k usually pay full tuition. Local schools by me average $15,000 per kid, so for 4 kids that's $60,000 in AFTER TAX money. A mid level mortgage (2000 sf home, not a large property not totally fixed up) is around $3,000. That's $36,000/year. Taxes haven't been deducted from the $250k - between health insurance and other deductions, you net nearly half - lets say $145,000. The tuition and housing deducted leaves you with $49,000. Which sounds like a lot until you factor in food, clothing, car expenses, summer camp, other insurances, utilities etc etc etc. Summer camp in my area is $2-3,000 per kid (some eve more) for day camp and a lot more for sleep away camp.

People making much less usually pay a lot less in tuition. I'm not saying $250k isn't a nice salary (it is), it's just not a whopping fortune at all.

That's us, tuition is a killer.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 11:51 am
Deleted

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 12:11 pm
Last year I made $200k and DH made $140k and our lives were awful.

We both worked punishing hours. Our kids were in aftercare and babysitters and no activities. They were unhappy.

We paid almost half our salaries in taxes (federal, state, payroll). We paid over $60k in tuition and aftercare and daycare. More on a summer babysitter.

Our house was a disaster, we couldn't find good help because we literally had no time to find help. We spent a lot on school lunches and convenience foods because we had no time to pack.

I quit my job and DH changed jobs for less money. BH the school gave a scholarship. My babies are with me and I see the older kids after school.

I bought my kids clothes from the thrift store in BOTH scenarios. And in BOTH money was/is always tight. But money can't buy my precious hours with my kids. We are all happier now.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 2:24 pm
I don't think you took out maaser in the above scenario either. At a much lower income level, people don't always give a full 10%, or at all if they are truly not able to, or they count part of tuition etc We're happy to give it but it is a nice chunk.....

allrgymama

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:12 pm
CatLady wrote:
If my DH made $250,000, every four years he'd buy me a green dress (but not a real green dress - that's cruel!)

Thumbs Up
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics