Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What ID for newborn to canada

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 4:30 pm
I did not yet receive my newborns birth certificate and were driving from us to canada for succos.

What else would be acceptable ID both in and out of the country?

Thx

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 4:58 pm
How old is your baby? Is there any chance the birth certificate will arrive before you leave?

Do you still have any documents from the hospital? ID bracelet?

You should probably call DHS to find out what to do. You definitely don't want to have problems at the border.

kb

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 5:06 pm
in NY you can go down to some office in Manhattan and get a short form birth certificate while you wait. Call the hospital for the number.

Deep

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 5:43 pm
You can travel with the hospital papers. I've done it w/o incident.

mommyla

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 7:57 pm
I could be totally wrong, but I think that when you drive only adults need documentation, not kids.

ahuvah4

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:11 pm
Kids definitely need ID. Hospital documents should be enough for a newborn. you can call them and ask.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:34 pm
rules changed everyone needs passport at boarder (canada)

I dont know about newborns and until what age is considered newborn.

When we traveled with our then 5 month old child we went downtown to get a birth certificate by hand within weeks of the baby being born and then sent out for a passport (not rushed) and we had the passport before we went.

this is from the customs and boarder control of america website
"Driving into the United States: If you have not yet received a birth certificate for a U.S. or Canadian citizen infant, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will accept either the birth record issued by the hospital, a letter on hospital letterhead or a letter from the doctor who delivered the child providing details of the birth, including the name of the child, time and place of birth, and parents names. Birth certificates should be used for children over 1 year old. Infants and children from countries other than Canada and the U.S. should have a passport."

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:28 pm
op here -

Thanks. We actually travel there quite often but never had to travel before a baby s birth certificate arrived.
A passport is not needed although at one point there was talk of it.

We def wont have the birth certificate in time. It seems like a hospital "birth certificate" may work according to the website of American customs and border control. Not sure though what the Canadian law is.

Does anyone have a phone number or know how to contact Canadian border patrol..?

kb

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:15 pm
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/con......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics