Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to research an employment opportunity

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:26 pm
Assuming that there is more than one position available in ones field of choice, and one would like to know the working conditions, corporate culture, atmosphere etc.

We haven't had much experience with this (although now that I think of it, perhaps I should have done more research into some of the positions I held) but now, dealing with a young daughter who has 'fallen in' somewhat in a place she is not happy, we're trying to help her figure out how to use this as a learning experience for the future.

I mentioned that she should think about the things she doesn't like in this position, and how she could have asked people to elicit this information. But in the end, she's not sure she knows how to do this.

And, a related question. Although I've pretty much taken the position that if she'd old enough to work, she's old enough to figure out if she wants a job, I am re-thinking this now. She is young.

And, as far as shidduchim, we do get very involved in the research. Should we take a more hands-off approach when it comes to her employment?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:49 pm
Well, DD just resigned from her position. She took it with the stipulation that it would be on a trial basis (from both sides) and is perfectly entitled to resign as she feels it's not the right environment for her.

However, her former employer asked for feedback as to why she is leaving. I'm a very forthright person, and if it were me, I would tell him "I am not comfortable with the environment, and with the way you talk to me and the other women." But DH says it's none of her business to give him mussar. I say, he's asking for constructive criticism, why not give it? Especially because this is a creeping problem in the world, and I think if more people were honest, perhaps it would have an effect.

From your viewpoint, whatever that may be, if you decided to leave a job because you felt the men (or the employer) were too familiar with the women, would you say so (if asked)?

SYA

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 8:39 pm
The day I started my first job another young lady was leaving. Apparently another male employee was getting "too comfortable" around her and making some comments. She did not want to tell the employer the reason of her resignation. In the end one of her friends told the employer. He took action and fired the male employee and convinced the young lady to return after speaking to the other male employees about this issue.
I think it's important to speak up and tell the employer how you feel.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:10 pm
Quote:
He took action and fired the male employee and convinced the young lady to return after speaking to the other male employees about this issue.
I think it's important to speak up and tell the employer how you feel.
Even if the employer is the one whose behavior makes you uncomfortable?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:45 pm
No I absolutely would not. Burning bridges is not the way to go. Settle for a generic answer and leave on good terms.

SYA

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 10:13 pm
If it's the employer that is causing this situation then I wouldn't say anything. As MaBelleVie wrote it is better to give a generic answer and not burn bridges.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics