Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is this considered normal???

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 7:39 am
We live in an apartment that is part of a strip of 6 attached houses. We all have huge backyards, but only the two end houses have street access from the yard. The neighbor made an opening in the gate between our houses so that he can walk through our yard to the street. They make lots of noise, leave dirt, use my garbage cans etc. We live on the top 2 floors and have a deck that has stairs going into the yard. I don't let my kids play in the yard even if I'm on the deck because there are all sorts of people passing through all the time. I am really upset about this but obviously we are renting so there is nothing to do.

Now that neighbor knocks on my door and says he is building his sukkah in my yard!!! He has a huge deck and a huge backyard and a driveway in front of his house. We have a slab of concrete in our yard and his just has grass so he wants to build his sukkah on that slab. We said no. He says but the way you are built your sukkah on your deck you are obviously not using your yard because you are blocking your steps. (which is not true we can access it from the street) We said no again. He said but this but that we said no over and over. He finally walked away but he acted like we are doing something wrong.

Am I wrong?? Is it normal for people to think they have rights to others property??

I forgot to say he always moves our garbage cans around, and knocks on our door to remind us to take the garbage out even though we are extremely clean people and have always been doing it on our own. He can't even see our garbage unless he walks onto our property to use our yard!!!

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 7:54 am
What a STRANGE thought that he has the right to just build on your yard. Even a neighbor who isn't annoying at all other times of the year would be odd to ask someone to hijack their yard for 2 weeks, eat meals there, make noise...This guy doesn't care about other people's space. He acts like he owns the neighborhood.

You behaved sensibly.

P.S. Knock on your door to remind you to take out garbage?! How irritating.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 27 2014, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Barbara

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 8:31 am
Call your landlord and ask if he gave the neighbor permission to create a right of way though your yard.

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 8:59 am
Call the landlord an ask him permission to put a padlock in the gate. He doesn't have a right to walk thru and certainly has chutzpah if he thinks he can build a succah there. I just don't get some people!

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 9:45 am
I had neighbors who dumped their recycling on my porch and yelled at me when I put it in front of their door after they wouldn't clear it when I asked them. I paid rent for that porch, they didn't. close up the entrance they made. talk to the landlord about it. put on a lock (can't see why the landlord needs to give permission. even a simple lock that needs no installation should do). inform your neighbor that he and his family are no longer welcome in your yard, and that you will no longer respond to knocks on your door for non-emergencies.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 2:26 pm
Normal??????

More like Crazy McCrazypants, if you ask me. I'd have that gate locked and barricaded ages ago. You pay rent, it's your property.

Some people's sense of entitlement, sheesh! Rolling Eyes

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 2:29 pm
Barbara wrote:
Call your landlord and ask if he gave the neighbor permission to create a right of way though your yard.

I liked this at first. Then I thought why give the landlord the ability to say let it go. I would use self help instead and let them come to you.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 2:29 pm
This is totally not normal and illegal to boot. This man is trespassing, period.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 4:52 pm
My question is why did you let this Neighbor step all over you and pass through your yard in the first place. Once you show weakness to this type of people they take more and more advantage of you. Why do you let people use you and disrespect you?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette