Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Those whose husbands make $200,000 or more, what do they do?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 2:06 pm
My dream is to work in vaccine research or pharmaceutical therapies research. I could have joined a great program, and I had connections for a once-in-a-lifetime job after the completion of a phd program, but I didn't pursue it because I needed to pay bills and could make much more money doing an entry level job without even a college education. In the job where I work most people are making over 150K without any education at all. I just dream that later on I'll be able to get back on track and do what I want to do; however I know that that is just a dream!

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
Thankfully that's not your decision to make because your bills are for your own kids tuition. However the school decided to break it up (percentage to subsidize other students etc) is their own cheshbon and none of your concern.

Its none of my concern how my tuition dollars are spent?

I don't know how to break this to you, but yes, it is my concern.

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:
My dream is to work in vaccine research or pharmaceutical therapies research. I could have joined a great program, and I had connections for a once-in-a-lifetime job after the completion of a phd program, but I didn't pursue it because I needed to pay bills and could make much more money doing an entry level job without even a college education. In the job where I work most people are making over 150K without any education at all. I just dream that later on I'll be able to get back on track and do what I want to do; however I know that that is just a dream!

May I ask what you do where people with no education whatsoever make $150,000 a year?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 2:23 pm
Barbara wrote:
May I ask what you do where people with no education whatsoever make $150,000 a year?

Not most people in this line of work. Most people in my office. Debt Settlement. We charge 10% of savings, sometimes we save people 1 million on a home in a shot with a short sale. They do lose the home, but lose the debt as well. I'm hoping that this job market won't be in demand much longer so that I will be able to pursue my career dreams.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 2:23 pm
Barbara wrote:

Most of our family is comprised of businessmen. Many have no education beyond HS. Some don't even have a HS diploma. Those that do have education on the whole do not need it at all for what they are doing. In business they are earning well over that.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:
I honestly don't even understand where this comment is coming from. In my original post I clearly stated that the people I'm referring to are exceptions and that for every one of them there are others who are struggling to pay for the necessities, so you are arguing a said point???

Besides your disclaimer, you're basically trying to make the point that people can make this much money in any field. Overall, the impression gleaned from your post is that it is possible to do these things and earn a lot of money.

This is not true, and I am simply clarifying that.

Google a bit about the lawyer job market, and you'll see it's not so simple to just earn 60k on the side, unless you're very lucky, have some source of funding, or some other fortunate situation.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 2:33 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Besides your disclaimer, you're basically trying to make the point that people can make this much money in any field. Overall, the impression gleaned from your post is that it is possible to do these things and earn a lot of money.

This is not true, and I am simply clarifying that.

Google a bit about the lawyer job market, and you'll see it's not so simple to just earn 60k on the side, unless you're very lucky, have some source of funding, or some other fortunate situation.

That's not at all the point I was trying to make. I was responded to the OP who asked about the people I know who make over 200K a year. I just stated their jobs. The doctors I know do not make 200K, although I do know cosmetic dentists who do.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
Dh couldn't speak English when we got married. I would sit with him every night and teach him. He went to a chassidish yeshiva and no other degree or education. Today he is a successful medical computer programmer and bh makes 5x that amount. He is an extremely hard worker and a go getter. He credits his success to Sayta deshmaiya and only earning honest money.

That's great that you helped him overcome the barrier of lack of education, but since my dh is in a similar field with a masters degree I am skeptical that your dh makes 7 figures a year just programming.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:17 pm
Maya wrote:
So they're not paralegals, they're frauds. Don't call them paralegals and say they make $200K. Average annual earnings for real paralegals is about $50K. With a college degree.

In NY, there is no such official profession as paralegal. There is no requirement for any training whatsoever. They are practicing law without a license.

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:36 pm
amother wrote:
In NY, there is no such official profession as paralegal. There is no requirement for any training whatsoever. They are practicing law without a license.

Paralegals do not practice law without a license. They don't practice law, period.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:53 pm
abby1776 wrote:
Also in order to make $250,000 a year - if you had your own practice and charged $250 hour (lets forget about overhead) - you would need to bill 80 hours a week to make $240,000 before taxes. A "regular" workweek is 40 hours a week. Being a part time lawyer is not the way to make 250,000 a year.

Your numbers are way off. A little arithmetic, please. If you bill $250 an hour, and bill 40 hours a week, you bill $10,000 a week, or around $500,000 a year. If you really can manage to bill 80 hours a week, that's 1,000,000 a year.

Of course there's overhead, and of course you need to work a lot more than 40 hours a week to bill 40 hours a week, but it is certainly not true that you need to bill 80 hours a week to make $240,000 a year.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:56 pm
Barbara wrote:
Its none of my concern how my tuition dollars are spent?

Precisely. You're paying for a service which you are hopefully happy with. You know the price up front and can decide to take it or leave it. How they come up with that price should concern you about as much as how the pizza store decides what to charge for a slice. Or less. But its the same concept.

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
Precisely. You're paying for a service which you are hopefully happy with. You know the price up front and can decide to take it or leave it. How they come up with that price should concern you about as much as how the pizza store decides what to charge for a slice. Or less. But its the same concept.

Again, that's absurd. Schools are not slices of pizza. I care what I pay for the school, and I care where those dollars are going. I care that the teachers are paid a decent salary, so that the school can attract good teachers. I care that they are given the supplies that they need, and don't need to purchase them with their own funds. I care that funds are adequately allocated for building maintenance. I care that there is scholarship money so that people who have fallen on hard times, or who are in professions that are not high-paying, can afford to send their kids.

At the same time, I work hard for my income, and I don't want my money being used to pay for people who could pay tuition, but choose not to. Which takes money away from my family, and away from families with genuine needs.

octopus

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:51 pm
oy. this is turning into another tuition thread.

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:51 pm
abby1776 wrote:
Also in order to make $250,000 a year - if you had your own practice and charged $250 hour (lets forget about overhead) - you would need to bill 80 hours a week to make $240,000 before taxes. A "regular" workweek is 40 hours a week. Being a part time lawyer is not the way to make 250,000 a year.

Actually, you would need to bill between 20 and 21 hours per week, assuming a 48 week year.

But you're right. Being a part time attorney isn't the way to make $250,000 per year. But there's a lot of space between $250,000 and staying home and letting someone else foot your bills.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:58 pm
Barbara wrote:
Again, that's absurd. Schools are not slices of pizza. I care what I pay for the school, and I care where those dollars are going. I care that the teachers are paid a decent salary, so that the school can attract good teachers. I care that they are given the supplies that they need, and don't need to purchase them with their own funds. I care that funds are adequately allocated for building maintenance. I care that there is scholarship money so that people who have fallen on hard times, or who are in professions that are not high-paying, can afford to send their kids.

At the same time, I work hard for my income, and I don't want my money being used to pay for people who could pay tuition, but choose not to. Which takes money away from my family, and away from families with genuine needs.

Ultimately, though, in choosing to send to a particular school, you are agreeing to allow their board members make decisions regarding scholarship allowances. I'm sure there are other lifestyle choices you would prefer not to support besides sahm- what about people who have larger families, who choose to work part time, who dont pursue graduate degrees... The list can go on and on.

doughnut

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:

Ridiculous. I can very well choose not to buy pizza if I don't like the prices, but I am in a sense forced to pay tuition. I know I'm turning this into a tuition war and a working mom war, but it does bother me when women say they choose to stay home to 'be good moms' (assuming they can not well afford it). We all want to be good moms. Some of us also want to be responsible moms.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:09 pm
doughnut wrote:
Ridiculous. I can very well choose not to buy pizza if I don't like the prices, but I am in a sense forced to pay tuition. I know I'm turning this into a tuition war and a working mom war, but it does bother me when women say they choose to stay home to 'be good moms' (assuming they can not well afford it). We all want to be good moms. Some of us also want to be responsible moms.

Who is forcing you?

doughnut

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:12 pm
[quote="amother"]Who is forcing you?[/quote
Well, I said in a sense since obviously I can choose to not send to a Yeshiva. But if I believe private Jewish education is important, I'm forced to pay the asking rate. Do they give tuition breaks to people who just don't want to pay it?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:17 pm
Barbara wrote:
Paralegals do not practice law without a license. They don't practice law, period.

No one is supposed to practice law without a license. There are people who do and call themselves paralegals. I know of one who sells boilerplate trusts for $500.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics