Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Those whose husbands make $200,000 or more, what do they do?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:18 pm
[quote="doughnut"]
amother wrote:
Who is forcing you?[/quote
Well, I said in a sense since obviously I can choose to not send to a Yeshiva. But if I believe private Jewish education is important, I'm forced to pay the asking rate. Do they give tuition breaks to people who just don't want to pay it?

Do they do that at the pizza store?? See they have more in common than I initially thought

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
Precisely. You're paying for a service which you are hopefully happy with. You know the price up front and can decide to take it or leave it. How they come up with that price should concern you about as much as how the pizza store decides what to charge for a slice. Or less. But its the same concept.
Smile

Pizza stores are for profit businesses. Our schools are not.

Maya

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:30 pm
amother wrote:
No one is supposed to practice law without a license. There are people who do and call themselves paralegals. I know of one who sells boilerplate trusts for $500.

I can call myself an accountant until the cows come home. Doesn't make me one. Please don't call these people paralegals.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:38 pm
amother wrote:
Dh couldn't speak English when we got married. I would sit with him every night and teach him. He went to a chassidish yeshiva and no other degree or education. Today he is a successful medical computer programmer and bh makes 5x that amount. He is an extremely hard worker and a go getter. He credits his success to Sayta deshmaiya and only earning honest money.

I'm the amother whose (also c hassidish) husband's secular education ended after 9th grade. My husband also credits his success only to siyata dishmaya, which we can b"h clearly see on a daily basis.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:46 pm
Maya wrote:
I can call myself an accountant until the cows come home. Doesn't make me one. Please don't call these people paralegals.

Why not Maya? Anyone can call themselves a paralegal. There is not education or experience requirements for this job unlike an accountant.

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:48 pm
amother wrote:
Why not Maya? Anyone can call themselves a paralegal. There is not education or experience requirements for this job unlike an accountant.

Actually, there is no education requirement to call yourself an accountant, either. There is to be a CPA.

Maya

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:

Is that true? Because there is a specific college degree and/or certificate program geared to those who want to become paralegals. It has a very specific job description.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 6:09 pm
Maya wrote:
Is that true? Because there is a specific college degree and/or certificate program geared to those who want to become paralegals. It has a very specific job description.

It is true. Anyone can be a paralegal if they can get hired for that job. You don't need the certificate or degree. You don't need training or experience to get hired. The schools are marketing themselves. Some attorneys may look for the piece of paper.

Maya

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 6:12 pm
Yes, but it's a specific job description. You can't say you're a paralegal when you're really a bricklayer.

Whatever. It doesn't matter, certainly not enough to spend this time on it.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 6:16 pm
Maya wrote:
Yes, but it's a specific job description. You can't say you're a paralegal when you're really a bricklayer.

Whatever. It doesn't matter, certainly not enough to spend this time on it.

You work in a law office under a lawyer. If a brick layer cam do the job, she can be a paralegal.

California is different. It is my understanding, there the paralegals are more like PAs.

SRS

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:03 pm
The short of the long of it is that everyone who takes a scholarship either because they choose to pull in less income or spend more on whatever it is that there is another person making the exact opposite choice. I think this is something that one should think about when making a decision from moving from the paying to the scholarship ranks or just think about period.

supty

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
In NY, there is no such official profession as paralegal. There is no requirement for any training whatsoever. They are practicing law without a license.

They can call themselves whatever they want and practice whatever they want, but there's no way a paralegal without a license is ever making 200k or anywhere near that amount. They may be practicing law without a license but they sure as hell won't be getting paid like lawyers.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:00 pm
supty wrote:
They can call themselves whatever they want and practice whatever they want, but there's no way a paralegal without a license is ever making 200k or anywhere near that amount. They may be practicing law without a license but they sure as hell won't be getting paid like lawyers.

A paralegal without a license can open a car rental company and earn 300k. Point is, title doesn't matter as much as job description does. I don't even know what amothers point was in bringing up the paralegal thing.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:04 pm
supty wrote:

Paralegals don't have licenses in NY.

supty

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 9:29 am
amother wrote:
Paralegals don't have licenses in NY.

That wasn't the point.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:10 pm
May I ask (you can answer anonymously)

1-What your husbands do (those who make upwards of $200,000)?

2-Were his earnings made possible by his degree?

3-Was it more hard work or luck, in your opinion, or a combination?

4-Is your husband a unique go-getter or laid back, or medium?

Shana Tova!

TIA[/quote]

Didn't read the whole thread, just answering the question.

Anon for ayin harah:

1) He works in real estate

2) Not at all. I wish he would go for some kind of business degree or management course, but he doesn't have the time. That being said, my father worked in real estate for many years before taking a long break; they are now working together and so my husband definitely has the benefit of my father's experience.

3) Hard work, mostly. He worked very hard for years, getting paid (literally) nothing before he finally went into business for himself.

4) While he can be lazy, once he decides he wants something, he attacks it with single minded pigheadness and cannot be stopped.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:18 pm
my DH invests in real estate and then flips them

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:47 pm
Is this thread depressing anyone else?

So basically, NO woman who sends her kids to school has the right to be a SAHM unless her husband makes a zillion dollars and can completely cover their children's full tuition?

And if her dh doesn't make a zillion dollars this woman MUST work and has NO RIGHT to be a SAHM because that would make her an awful person for taking a tuition break?

And every SAHM who takes any amount of tuition break for their kids is irresponsible because she could be out working and "chose" not to? This is the "one size fits all" statement we're using?

Even if she is only qualified for some job that pays $25,000 a year for full time work? In this case all she would be doing by working is making enough to pay the baby's caregiver, so they are they really any better off for having her work?

Maybe it would have just been better for her to never have any children?

Eta:
Speaking about a hypothetical woman, no one in particular. Where does this end? I get the point about we all need to think hard about the decisions that we make, that's obvious. But how can we look and someone else and assume that we know their whole story and can tell them what they should it should not do?

For instance the amother everyone is bashing, she made a decision THAT WAS BEST FOR HER FAMILY. Lay off her. You don't know the details of her life. You can not know with absolute certainty that she should have stayed at her job.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:52 pm
"Maybe it would have just been better for her to never have any children?"

NEVER EVER!!!!! Not for all the money in the world would this ever be better.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:07 pm
My DH makes about $185k. He went to college, majored in computers, and works for a bank. He has over 10 years of experience and is good at what he does (at least I think so ...)
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics