Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Are You Married To An Engineer?

amother

Post Sat, Oct 04 2014, 8:59 pm
My DH is an engineer who just graduated and is beginning to look for a job. He has years of experience as a tech while in school.
Just curious, how much do your DH's make, and how long have they been working?

DH has no clue when I ask I'm this type of stuff and it is important for me to know how to budget. I know I can't guarantee where/if hell get a job but I'm trying to get an idea Rolling Eyes

Also, and ideas where he can look in the NY area? He is motivate, very social, smart and VERY talented with a degree in electrical engineering

amother

Post Sat, Oct 04 2014, 9:19 pm
Try looking at salary.com or other such sites that tell you info like salaries for different types of careers and how many years of experience and location etc. That can give a lot of informative.

My DH is an engineer (not electrical but I really don't want anyone finding out how much we make so I'm being vague.) Not in the NY area. Makes $140,000. Working about 13 years. He also does a lot of project management now - not strictly doing the actual research anymore. He's a laid back kind of guy so I think he could be making more if he would be a different personality; pushing to get ahead more. But B"H he's a nice, good, smart, responsible guy and I really shouldn't complain.

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 04 2014, 9:26 pm
"Are You Married To An Engineer?"

No, but my DH is. Smile

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Oct 04 2014, 9:31 pm
DrMom wrote:
"Are You Married To An Engineer?"

No, but my DH is. Smile

Likewise Smile

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 6:04 am
I didn't even think about one of you being an engineer embarrassed Rolling Eyes

Any chance you can provide me with info?

I usually find these online sites do not provide accurate info

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 6:14 am
I am married to someone with a PhD in engineering, and my dad, a"h, was an engineer as well.

Neither one ended up spending a career in the area that they worked on most while in school.

I suggest getting the book, "What Color is your Parachute" from the library. It has great lists and tips for finding out the real info as opposed to what a website says.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:44 am
I am a software engineer I have about 13 years experience. I currently make about $70,000. But I work from home and 32 hours a week and am not very pressured (although I sometimes gave right deadlines that always seem to coincide with Tom tov).
If I was working longer hours and was more proactive I would be making more.

Does he have a linked in page. I get a lot if job offers from recruiters through there.

I know in my field you are mor likely to get a better job if you are more out there. Like develop apps or website and include on resume. Or be very active on message boards. For software stack overflow is a good one. If someone is more active it is likely a recruiter will find him.

Good luck.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:58 am
I am in school for mechanical engineering.

I think where I live the starting salaries for a mechanical engineer is 60-70k and a little higher for electrical. in NY I imagine the salary would start a little higher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics