Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mesores bais Yaakov or lev bais Yaakov HS or another?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 9:48 am
I live in the 5ts and am looking to send my DD to a Brooklyn HS next year. She doesn't like the jappy snobbiness that is going on in her school right now so we are looking for a low key nice HS in Flatbush - yeshivas but not too much ( most fathers should be working - not rebbeim or learning in kollel). I thought of mesores or lev bais Yaakov. Can anyone who sends their girls there or elsewhere weigh in on this. Tx.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 9:54 am
Just an FYI Lev is very hard to get into. They have a small class, and mostly accept their own students. Good Luck!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 10:42 am
"most fathers should be working - not rebbeim or learning in kollel). I thought of mesores or lev bais Yaakov."
your looking at the wrong schools, I don't want to get into l''h but I really don't think mesores will be less jappy or snobby than the 5towns schools. I don't know much about lev other than its hard to get into.

doctorima

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 3:31 pm
I don't know what the 5towns schools are like, but from what you describe you're looking for, I don't think Masores would be the best fit. Low-key and less jappy would be BYBP or YOB, but that might be a long commute and culture shock for your daughter.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:21 pm
OP here. BYOB or YOB are def not our speed. Any other Flatbush school options? What about d'rav Meir? I hear it's crazy academic wise though. What about BYA? What are other options? Tx.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:32 pm
OP again. Any1 know anything about shevach HS in queens? Who goes there these days. Are there any Ashkenazim that are still there? Would that be an option?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:24 am
Agree with the others. Masores is extremely jappy and flatbushy. Your dd will hate it. BYA is a much better option. More lower key than masores. though plenty of with it girls. But it's not considered to be on a very high academic level if you or dd care about that.

Flower97

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 4:47 pm
My dgtr is in lev high school. They do take a nice amount of girls from other schools. It is not snobby or jappy.
The school has a warm atmosphere.
They only have one class per grade so it
is small. I also know girls who are in masores
and are very happy. It depends on the class you
are in. Good luck.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 12:12 am
Tx. Are the teachers in lev very young like fresh off the boat from BJJ or are they older? Or a mix?

Flower97

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 2:23 am
I would say its a mix. There's not to many that are fresh off the boat. They have some very good teachers. What I like is that if you have any issues there is always someone to speak to .

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 8:56 am
Tx! Anyone know anything about BYA?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 8:58 pm
BYA HS is as cold as ice. Unless you have the right last name. BTDT.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
BYA HS is as cold as ice. Unless you have the right last name. BTDT.

I'm sorry for your experience. Or your daughter's.

I went there and though I wouldn't say it was cold as ice, I will say that there's not really people to talk to there (this was about a decade or so ago so things could've changed). The teachers are generally not approachable and don't seem to care so much about the students. And it's not even like it's such a large school. 2 classes a grade. Though to be honest I did enjoy high school very much.. I guess it was the social part I liked. Also, b'h I didn't really have major issues that needed discussion although I defintely could have used some guidance here and there.

ettilou

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:44 pm
I live in the 5T and send my DDto Bnos Yaakov...BEST DECISION EVER !!!! Therr are about 14 girls on our van. My dd days out of he elementary class the girls that went to BNOS YAAKOV are by far the happiest most well adjusted girls. They get together all the time and she sees how the others just aren't living their schools. The principals are so there for the girls the teachers are all experienced and really work to make sure the girls feel good about themselves not just their grades. Call them718-506-1110. Honestly you won't find a better school.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:52 pm
So I'm in the 5ts too. Can you compare bnos Yaakov to lev bais Yaakov. Also does your van to Brooklyn make other school stops in Brooklyn of I decide to send to Brooklyn.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 10:59 pm
And as a follow up to my previous question, where is bnos Yaakov lacated? Are the parents mainly in rabbonus? Or professionals? Do they allow for college?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:13 pm
have you looked into Prospect? parent body is mostly professional and they encourage girls to go to college

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:18 pm
I don't want prospect. Yes a want working patent body but I don't want materialism. We are yeshivish type with no TV in our house. We don't do "juicy" clothing. I'm not against the parents being rabbonim/teachers - I think it's great but I don't want to be the "modern one" bec my husband and I work. I like a mix of different types but I want to be in the middle of the crowd. I don't want to be the frumest or the most modern.

ettilou

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:37 pm
We are on the prices of buying our own building in Flatbush but currently rent out of BYBP elem on 14th. No our van is strictly for our school. All schools have theirs own vans so that's not an issue usually. Many parents are working many are on rabbanus. There is not a focus on gashmius that's for sure. Mrs. Ungar says that a girl graduating from BNOS YAAKOV you will know for sure that she is a fine girl....across the board that is true. You see the esti the girls handle themselves, talk to each other...the achdus is actually palatable. We don't have tv we don't ski in Vail but my husband works and learns as often as he can. My daughter had a kesher with the principals that is not to be believed. Their doors are open and the teachers treat the girls like they matter. I can't say enough. Look into the school you won't be disappointed. Pm me if you want to speak to other families in the neighborhood who send....not one family has regrets...NOT ONE

amother

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 11:45 pm
Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics