Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Does lip balm (fruit flavored) need a Hechsher?

JMM-uc

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:13 pm
Anyone know the Halacha?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:27 pm
Lechatchila, yes.

JMM-uc

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:34 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Lechatchila, yes.

The same goes for lipstick, right? I'm wondering why I never saw a Hechsher on all the well known brands we all buy - Revlon, maybelline, L'Oréal. etc.

Twinster

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:36 pm
I remember reading up on it before pesach.

Since it's not food, and you don't purposely "eat it", it doesn't need one. For pesach most people are stringent, but it's not a must AFAIK.

Doesn't hurt to ask your LOR.

2gether

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:40 pm
check in Blumenkrantz.

write on

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 3:41 pm
Yes, it does.

I just asked this shailah of Rabbi Doniel Neustadt in Detroit (author of The Weekly/Daily/Monthly Halacha Discussion series) and he said that if the lipstick is flavored then you must ascertain that there are no non-kosher ingredients in it.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:10 am
Absolutely not. I asked.

pickle321

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:29 am
Ruchel wrote:
Absolutely not. I asked.

I also asked and was told that flavored lip balm does need a hechsher. Non flavored does not. So I guess ask your lor because there seems to be differing opinions.

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:43 am
This is interesting because I'm assuming the long list of ingredients on the non flavored lip balm isn't exactly kosher.
But it makes sense that it would need a Hechsher. I would think it would need one-always.

I was really surprised to hear that toothpaste didn't need a Hechsher unless it's for pesach. did you know that? I mean that really goes in our mouths!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:47 am
I was really surprised to hear some buy Jewish toothpaste. It would never have gone through my head. It's not about your mouth it's about halachically edible, and food. I never got the whole culture.

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:50 am
Ruchel wrote:
I was really surprised to hear some buy Jewish toothpaste. It would never have gone through my head. It's not about your mouth it's about halachically edible, and food. I never got the whole culture.

What do you mean by 'Jewish toothpaste? kosher? all brand name toothpastes here in Israel have really good hechsherim... I know it's not edible but it kinda makes sense.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:55 am
Doesn't make sense to me. In Israel I've seen even water with hechsher- though I've been told it just seems "not made on shabes" which I do understand. My kids' cheider gives some items unhechshered. I live a very different life and bh it fits me and what I was taught.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 8:09 am
Most makeup products are flavored with food grade chemical synthetics. What you're getting isn't even CLOSE to an actual grape, if that's what you're worried about.

The bigger problem is carmine in red lipsticks, which is made from ground up beetles.

From Wikipedia: "The insect produces carminic acid that deters predation by other insects. Carminic acid, typically 17–24% of dried insects' weight, can be extracted from the body and eggs, then mixed with aluminium or calcium salts to make carmine dye, also known as cochineal.[1] Carmine is today primarily used as a food colouring and for cosmetics, especially as a lipstick coloring." Puke

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 8:41 am
Carmine is GROSS (the idea). The French consistoire forbids it. That said, the charedi kehila in Strasbourg allows it. So, aylor if kashrus applies to lipstick, and if yes, check the ingredients. I would never spend on a Jewish brand or a hechsher for anything I can avoid. The price difference is infuriating. But, I realize outside of Europe fewer and fewer are allowed food wise Sad and I discover even for other items...

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 8:50 am
ground up beetles?! Puke good thing I don't even like red lipstick!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions