Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Bruriah vs. Mayanot

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 9:58 pm
We re considering these two schools.Cam anyone please share their experience. I am also interested in the financial part. We can afford probably around 14 to 15 k a year in high school tuition,but not more( we have younger kids whom we also pay for.How feasible is an academic scholarship? Our daughter will likely be the Hebrew valedictorian of her school,excellent student,participates in CHidon Hatanach, sings, dances, etc

singleagain

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 10:02 pm
the best thing to do would be to call the schools and see if you can arrange for your daughter to sit in classes for one day, see how she likes the different teaching styles and haschkafot, also she will get a feel for the social scene.

everyone is different and will react differently in different schools. it's very hard for us to help guide you when we don't know your daughter.

I personally went to buriah, but that was ten years ago, and A LOT in the school has changed, so I'm not sure I can be of much help, especially since looking back, I'm not sure it was the right place for me. but if you want to PM me to talk more, I'd be happy to.

Mom23gs

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 10:05 pm
Although both are excellent schools, they are very different in the way they teach and in the type of girl that attends. What type of school is your daughter coming from? what type of environment do you want her in?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 10:11 pm
We are MO, and she goes to a middle of the road MO school now. Secular studies are very important to us, as is love of Yiddishkeit and Eretz Israel.We want her to understand the reasons we do or don't do certain things,so DD must feel free to ask questions. Equally important is a very warm,supportive atmosphere where the girls are not cliquier than normal,are not dating, are good,sweet girls.

Mom23gs

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 10:24 pm
The girls who attend Maayanot come from a mix of the MO schools in Bergen County, with some coming in from Monsey, SI, Edison. The academics are good especially in the Honors tracks. It is definitely a school that allows for questions, in all subjects, secular and jewish. There are many different types of girls who go there, so you will have your more aidel types, along with girls who are boy obsessed and dating. Most, if not all of the girls have smart phones etc, and this year they started an iPad program with the freshman class, which will probably continue. As with all girls schools, some girls are friendlier than others, cliquier than others. I believe that Bruriah is still more "old school" compared to Ma'ayanot in the way they teach, and in Ma'ayanot the girls learn Gemarah as a subject, where as in Bruriah they do not. The school is very Tzioni, marching in the Parade is mandatory.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 11:39 pm
I would vote for mayanot
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics