Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Vegan egg substitute for challah
1  2  Next

Petra

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:43 am
What is a reliable egg substitute for bread machine challah recipe? My challah recipe calls for 2 eggs and one yolk?

I didn't buy commercial egg substitute because it was $16 for 12 oz! There was a cheaper one from Mill's but I don't think the hechsher was a good one (K with a line under it).

Help?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:55 am
Why not make water challah?
Put the ingredients in according to the manufacturers order

chani8

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:59 am
Just skip the eggs altogether.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 10:00 am
look for a water challah recipe. Or a good bread recipe that doesn't call for eggs. Many yummy breads and challah don't have eggs in. Try googling bread machine water challa recipe.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 10:35 am
I would stick with a recipe that doesn't call for eggs at all. Not all taste like water challah, some are sweet like egg challah and you don't miss the egg at all.

Dina_B613

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:15 pm
Use flax seeds! They're a great egg sub.

Petra

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:19 pm
Okay. I found one. It calls for vinegar. What does the vinegar add to it?

Petra

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:20 pm
PS How do I use the flax seeds?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:21 pm
Rebetzin Kanievesky ע"ה's challah recipe doesn't have any eggs in the dough. It does not taste like water challah either. You should try it. It calls for an egg glaze, but you can certainly skip that.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:35 pm
Vinegar does interesting things in dough. I think it may be an essential ingredient in pie crust, which doesn't taste like vinegar.

Being a vegan can make you fat, watch out. A lot of plant starch and all. People have fangs for a reason. Those canine teeth are fangs. The world's gentlest person was born with fangs. Some people have their smoothed out at the dentist, for looks' sake. That's ok.

But don't worry about the vinegar.

newmom1987

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:41 pm
Bananas are a great vegan egg substitute, but of course it will change the taste. Try it and see if you like it.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 8:12 pm
From experience I will tell you that it's only worth substituting for eggs if it's crucial to the texture or consistency of the food. With challah, eggs are not necessary to achieve a challah texture or consistency. They provide a certain flavor, and using a substitute will obviously provide a different flavor. So I really don't see a purpose in using a substitute.

elsily

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 8:14 pm
Here's how you use flax seeds in place of eggs:

1 tbsp ground flax seeds
3 tbsp water

Let sit for a few minutes until its texture changes. This replaces one egg.

Petra

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:49 pm
elsily wrote:
Here's how you use flax seeds in place of eggs:

1 tbsp ground flax seeds
3 tbsp water

Let sit for a few minutes until its texture changes. This replaces one egg.

Thanks!

EsaEinai

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:26 pm
I agree with the above posters about not bothering with an egg replacer for a challah recipe. I'm a vegan and, as another poster mentioned, I make rebbetzin kanievskys challah recipe which calls for no eggs and is deliciously sweet. When I use egg replacers in other recipes, namely a flax egg, it changes the coloring as well. I make a pineapple kugel which is supposed to be a light yellow, but with a flax egg it turns darker brown with brown flecks. It tastes delicious, just something to keep in mind. Let us know how your challah turns out, whatever you decide to do!

allrgymama

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:00 am
I've been doing a water challah ever since DD #1 was diagnosed with her food allergies, even though she outgrew the last of them a year and a half ago.

I started with Reb. Kanievsky's recipe and then modified for my family's taste and the weather where I live (humidity and height make a different to the amount of water you need; also, a stickier dough tends to lend itself to a tenderer challah):

5.5 cups very warm water (I do 2.5 from the urn and the rest from the sink)
3 TBSP dry yeast
1 1/3 cup sugar

Let this sit in your mixer for 8 min to bubble.

5 lbs high gluten/bread flour (King Arthur is the best; you can't compare0
1 cup canola/veggie
3 TBSP salt

Knead together for 12 minutes. Transfer to a very large greased bowl to rise. Do HaFrashas challah. Let rise for 1 hour.

Pre-heat oven to 350. Spray pans with Pam. Braid loaves (I get six) and bake till desired doneness -- anywhere between 30-50 min, depending on size. Remove from pans and cool completely on racks.

Petra

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 9:48 am
Thanks for more thoughts. Well, I tried a water challah recipe meant for bread machine last night. I know my family is not going to like it, nor will I. They might as well be large paper weights.

allrgymama

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 9:53 am
Petra wrote:
Thanks for more thoughts. Well, I tried a water challah recipe meant for bread machine last night. I know my family is not going to like it, nor will I. They might as well be large paper weights.

Please try the challah recipe above. It is absolutely delicious, light and fluffy

Petra

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:23 am
Okay. Is it do-able without a mixer?

allrgymama

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:55 am
Only if you want to knead by hand....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads