Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Silicone Challah pan mold
1  2  Next

Sanguine

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:11 am
My daughter just bought me a Silicone challah Pan Mold. I love the idea of not needing to roll and braid - Just take it from the bread maker and put it in the mold. Sounds great!!

1 - Does anyone have this?

2 - Is it as easy as they say?

3 - Will I love it?

4 - Does the Challah come out the same?

5 - How many cups of flour is a pound of flour? (they say use 5 pounds for 5 Challahs so how many cups is a pound?)

Thanks

mommyla

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:28 am
I don't have the pan, but 5 lbs. of flour is approximately 15 cups.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:46 am
mommyla wrote:
I don't have the pan, but 5 lbs. of flour is approximately 15 cups.

So they say that one Challah uses 3 cups of flour? Hmmm I get more from three cups of flour. I don't think I'm going to like this so much Sad

Pineapple

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 12:44 pm
Sanguine wrote:

5 - How many cups of flour is a pound of flour?

18 cups

Sanguine

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 12:56 pm
Pineapple wrote:
18 cups

18 cups is a pound of flour???

Ok - here's a joke... How Long is a Chinese name? (joke has nothing to do with flour)

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:33 pm
Five pounds of flour is between 15-20 cups depending on humidity and other factors. You really need to weigh it for accurate results. I normally find (in my climate controlled home) that the brand I use is almost consistently 16 cups, but last time I baked before RH, it was only 15.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:40 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Five pounds of flour is between 15-20 cups depending on humidity and other factors. You really need to weigh it for accurate results. I normally find (in my climate controlled home) that the brand I use is almost consistently 16 cups, but last time I baked before RH, it was only 15.

so one pound is still at least 3 cups. Maybe I can just fill the pan less. It's really a very tall Challa. I think the Challah is too tall. I'll do what I always do 2 1/2 cups and it will be shorter maybe.

Thanks everyone for the 1 pound of flour cups.

Now back to
Quote:
Ok - here's a joke... How Long is a Chinese name? (joke has nothing to do with flour)

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 1:42 pm
Sanguine wrote:

am I correct in assuming that the answer to your joke is "yes, it is?"

Sanguine

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 2:13 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
am I correct in assuming that the answer to your joke is "yes, it is?"

right. sometimes it takes ppl hours to catch it

oliveoil

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:09 pm
Not a huge fan of the silicone pan. I think it comes out better the regular way.
It's good for gluten free doughs which cannot be braided, but I prefer not to use it for regular challah.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:28 pm
Sanguine wrote:
18 cups is a pound of flour???

Sorry I read it wrong

I thought it said 5lbs

Sanguine

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:34 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Not a huge fan of the silicone pan. I think it comes out better the regular way.
It's good for gluten free doughs which cannot be braided, but I prefer not to use it for regular challah.
I'm such a messy braider so this looks like such a savings. Sometimes I just take my dough to my neighbor who so simply braids with six ropes. Then I go home and try just 3 and get such a mess. I was so grateful for RH round challahs. Does it look like a fake with the pan?

sky

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:36 pm
I have the small challah sillicone pans. For a batch made with 5 cups of flour I use 3. (the 3rd one is a bit skimpy.

I like it. I make dough in my bread machine and then just dump into the pans. I don't have mess of flour and don't have to spend time shaping. The consistency of the dough also doesn't matter too much as I'm not actually rolling or handling the dough.

I grease them well before using.

Bake about 20 - 25 minutes. Then flip them out onto parchment. Paint with egg and bake another 20 minutes. (approximately).

They don't make the prettiest challah but its so easy that it is worth it.

poelmamosh

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 3:39 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I'm such a messy braider so this looks like such a savings. Sometimes I just take my dough to my neighbor who so simply braids with six ropes. Then I go home and try just 3 and get such a mess. I was so grateful for RH round challahs. Does it look like a fake with the pan?

We eat round challos til Hoshana Rabba. (save!) Smile

Sanguine

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:09 pm
sky wrote:
I have the small challah sillicone pans. For a batch made with 5 cups of flour I use 3. (the 3rd one is a bit skimpy.

I like it. I make dough in my bread machine and then just dump into the pans. I don't have mess of flour and don't have to spend time shaping. The consistency of the dough also doesn't matter too much as I'm not actually rolling or handling the dough.

I grease them well before using.

Bake about 20 - 25 minutes. Then flip them out onto parchment. Paint with egg and bake another 20 minutes. (approximately).

They don't make the prettiest challah but its so easy that it is worth it.

This is what I wanted to hear. You're my type of baker Very Happy

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:12 pm
when I am super lazy, I take 3 biggish balls of dough, and stick them next to each other in a line.

those silicone pans look a pain, and I you have to remove the challa to let it brown properly. Plus I would need a lot.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:16 pm
A very easy option for people who don't like to braid is to make round pull apart challahs. Just roll balls in whatever size you like and place in round pan. It also eliminates cutting and helps with portion control.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 4:19 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
A very easy option for people who don't like to braid is to make round pull apart challahs. Just roll balls in whatever size you like and place in round pan. It also eliminates cutting and helps with portion control.

I do that also. I don't do them in a round pan though, just on a baking sheet. But, I do find they go stale quicker so I only make 2 or 3 and we eat them friday night. Not sure how it helps with portion control...people take more then one.

sourstix

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 8:51 pm
[quote="MaBelleVie"]A very easy option for people who don't like to braid is to make round pull apart challahs. Just roll balls in whatever size you like and place in round pan. It also eliminates cutting and helps with portion control.[/quote]ou

buy the way I heard it according to my posek that challah should not be pulled when the men make a bracha and give out it should be cut with a knife. when you eat its okay to pull.

ahuvah4

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:14 pm
My sister got as a kallah peanut chews made in the challah pan mold. melted a little choc. on top. We sliced the" challah" and got yummy peanut chews
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads