Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Does anyone still darn socks?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:13 pm
When we got married my husband was sure that was one of the primary jobs of the woman of the house. I explained that for the cheap socks he wore, it was just not worth it to fix them.

Fast forward, and we are all wearing better quality cotton socks, which are not too cheap. But mine, at least, get holes really quickly.

Does anyone know where to buy a soft cotton or cotton/lycra yarn? I would love to repair them because they rest of the sock is in perfect condition. But just sewing up the hole with regular sewing thread leaves a bump that's not all that comfortable.

Kitten

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 9:30 pm
I repair socks, stockings, everything. I use regular thread. To avoid bumps, you need to avoid sewing too tightly.
You can find cotton lycra yarn on the Internet, or in stores that carry knitting supplies, if you are able to find one.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:20 am
Would you have any links, Kitten? I keep getting cotton-lycra tights!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:27 am
My boys are always getting holes in their socks. One kid would never wear socks if it has a hole or if it was stitched. The other one couldn't care less. So I definitely do sew them up for him, with regular thread.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:48 am
I know one person online. But have never/wouldn't consider...

Kitten

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
Would you have any links, Kitten? I keep getting cotton-lycra tights!

I can't personally suggest any particular website as I always use regular poly thread and I don't even try to match the color because it's usually for heels and toes, which don't show with a number of shoes. I just googled cotton lycra yarn and found several links. You might find this one useful http://grumperina.com/knitblog.....n.htm (it is also up to date). This other one also looks very good, but it is white https://www.etsy.com/listing/5.....llery
I hope you find what you are looking for. I think one day I'll also try to get nice yarn to repair socks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry