Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Please forgive my pettiness... a quick grammar lesson...
1  2  Next

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
"Should I of just sucked it up and made him his breakfast?

amother wrote:
...I was wondering if there are any things you wish you could of/ would of taken?

someone wrote:
WADR.... I think this should of been a PM to Yael..

amother wrote:
... You probably should of mentioned this in your original post...

amother wrote:
they must of been wealthy to of had a removable roof.

Notice any common denominators among these recent posts? What's wrong with this picture?

Okay, now back to the kitchen...

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:11 am
Thank you
Rolling Eyes

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:14 am
Iymnok wrote:
Thank you
Rolling Eyes

For what?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:22 am
yes, using "of" instead of "have" is annoying. I agree.

so is the "she and I" phenomenon, using is/are in the wrong context, and not capitalizing letters appropriately.

oh, wait. I do that. I'm too lazy to hit the shift key. oh, well.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:24 am
Emotional: I just want to disclose that when I post anonymously, I often use unpardonable grammar and spelling on purpose. I don't want anyone to associate the post to my username! Maybe these amothers were using the same tactic....???

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:36 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Emotional: I just want to disclose that when I post anonymously, I often use unpardonable grammar and spelling on purpose. I don't want anyone to associate the post to my username! Maybe these amothers were using the same tactic....???

I never thought of that. Hmm.
I've gotta try that...

imamazing

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:34 pm
Thank you!

As a grammar teacher, I cringe each time I see posts with the error mentioned above (don't want to spoil it for you....).

I once posted the correction in response to a thread title that was driving me batty, but the op was quite offended.

Banging head

busymom

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:38 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:

Lol. I'm guilty of the same. But "of" and similar mistakes would be too grating to use even as a fake error. Wink

2gether

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:41 pm
"use unpardonable grammar and spelling on purpose. I don't want anyone to associate the post to my username"

How does that help?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:39 pm
2gether wrote:
"use unpardonable grammar and spelling on purpose. I don't want anyone to associate the post to my username"

How does that help?

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:45 pm
Delete

Last edited by Frumdoc on Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:46 pm
Wot iz zo unparddunubbel about bad grammr aniwey?
l ;-)

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 3:19 pm
imamazing wrote:
Thank you!

As a grammar teacher, I cringe each time I see posts with the error mentioned above (don't want to spoil it for you....).

I once posted the correction in response to a thread title that was driving me batty, but the op was quite offended.

Banging head

me, I go nuts when most people use the words that/who incorrectly. not just regular people, but on TV news, in magazines/books that should have been edited.

here's the lesson:

I'm the person who gets nuts about this.
this is a mistake that makes me nuts

see?

(the fact that I type in lower case is curious for such a grammar nut, I know.)

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 3:24 pm
Frumdoc wrote:
l ;-)

That's ridiculous. You have to do something suttle like associate to rather than associate with.... or suttle instead of subtle. That's why I was laughing.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 3:31 pm
Frumdoc wrote:
l ;-)

Do you need a comma before "aniwey?"

rachel91

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 3:55 pm
Please do not forget, that not everyone on here comes from an English speaking country.
I' ve never even lived in an English speaking country.
I learned English in school, as a second language.
And eventhough I'm strong in languages, I still make mistakes.
And my vocabulary isn't as broad, obviously.
Of course I don't mind people correcting my mistakes, it's always good to learn.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 4:28 pm
Can't we get passed all this?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 4:32 pm
A forum is not a place to write essays. Many of us type with ipads that make up words, deciding we're typing one thing when we're typing another. We don't proof read what we write, and don't type in a formal manner, but rather very relaxed, laid back, colloquial speech. I err over and over again in my spelling and grammar on this site, and it is not because I do not know how to spell or how to use proper grammar and syntax: it's simply because when I'm typing here I'm speaking to you. I'm writing thoughts as I would speak words. I sometimes go back and change a word, but forget to reread the sentence to see if I need to change an at to a with because I am in a hurry, busy with something else, or afraid my ipad will freeze and erase the rest of my post. I don't like when it says "edited" at the bottom of the post so even though sometimes the words I write may irk me, I don't need to bother with it.

Thanks Rachel for bring up that point as well!

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:13 pm
rachel91 wrote:
Please do not forget, that not everyone on here comes from an English speaking country.
I' ve never even lived in an English speaking country.
I learned English in school, as a second language.
And eventhough I'm strong in languages, I still make mistakes.
And my vocabulary isn't as broad, obviously.
Of course I don't mind people correcting my mistakes, it's always good to learn.

FWIW, I would never have guessed that English is not your first language.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:22 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
A forum is not a place to write essays. Many of us type with ipads that make up words, deciding we're typing one thing when we're typing another. We don't proof read what we write, and don't type in a formal manner, but rather very relaxed, laid back, colloquial speech. I err over and over again in my spelling and grammar on this site, and it is not because I do not know how to spell or how to use proper grammar and syntax: it's simply because when I'm typing here I'm speaking to you. I'm writing thoughts as I would speak words. I sometimes go back and change a word, but forget to reread the sentence to see if I need to change an at to a with because I am in a hurry, busy with something else, or afraid my ipad will freeze and erase the rest of my post. I don't like when it says "edited" at the bottom of the post so even though sometimes the words I write may irk me, I don't need to bother with it.

Thanks Rachel for bring up that point as well!

It's a matter or taste.

I prefer more casually-written, colloquial, conversational posts. Others prefer more formal styles.

There are certain usages that do drive me nuts, but I've long since concluded that I'm not going to change anyone, so it's not worth posting about.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics