Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What do I do now? (sick kid)
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:32 am
It's almost 830pm here in Israel. The clinics are closed. DD 17 has just not recovered well from the fast. She kept feeling faint, then she'd start to feel better.

I encouraged her to drink, drink, drink. She hasn't been drinking enough.

Now she says she's feeling shortness of breath. I'm scared now. I just want to take her in to be looked at. But at this time of night, what am I supposed to do????

mandr

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:36 am
Can you call Hatzolah?

grace413

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:38 am
Are you near a Terem? That's the first choice. If not, you'll have to take her to the emergency room and without a hafnayah you'll have to pay and will be reimbursed ONLY if they admit her.

Refuah Shlaimah.

deena19k

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:39 am
Where are you? In yerushalayim you can go to terem. If you have meuchedet, go to the moked layla on haturim.

Last edited by deena19k on Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:39 am
mandr wrote:
Can you call Hatzolah?

Now she's saying she's feeling a little better, after drinking a bottle of water and eating some doritos.

I'm so confused. I really don't want to call an ambulance for this.

deena19k

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
Now she's saying she's feeling a little better, after drinking a bottle of water and eating some doritos.

I'm so confused. I really don't want to call an ambulance for this.

unless it's a real emergency, don't call an ambulance. If she's not admitted to stay overnight, you'll be charged over 500 shekels for ambulance ride.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:41 am
There is a Terem type place in a town nearby. I'll see if they take Maccabi. Thanks. Why didn't I think of that.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:44 am
And now the baby won't stop crying. And I'm eating Doritos, but I'm on a diet.

At wits end Sad

ectomorph

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 10:55 am
You sound very overwhelmed, and although I would take her to the hospital, I understand why you aren't sure.

She may need IV fluids to balance electrolytes. At a minimum, she should be drinking Pedialyte, not plain water. Ask someone to get that for you.

You should keep a close eye on her until tomorrow. If she is still showing symptoms, she should definitely see a doctor.

This can easily become life threatening and you need to ask a shayla about whether she is allowed to fast or should drink with shiurim in the future. I am a terrible faster, and have had to break my fast in the past. She needs to learn to recognize when her body is at its limits.
Also, when I fast, there is always someone home to watch me (since I get very sick very fast, not always showing symptoms until after I'm severely dehydrated already). You may need to do this for the next few fasts, and don't let her go to shul.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:10 am
I agree about the electrolytes. But I cant get any this minute. What about a mag/potasium supp? I have Himalayan mineral salt. Wracking my brains here.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
I agree about the electrolytes. But I cant get any this minute. What about a mag/potasium supp? I have Himalayan mineral salt. Wracking my brains here.

I would try it.Probably can't hurt. I once was alone and had almost no strength, and I mixed sugar and salt into water and drank that, and I think it helped. Someone later told me it could make it worse because there's no potassium. If you have a banana or grapes maybe she can eat that too.

Hatzlacha!!

ectomorph

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 11:26 am
I think orange juice has potassium too...

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 12:02 pm
Electrolytes are a big deal and you don't really know which numbers could be very off. I would treat this as an emergency.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:02 pm
BTW, if after an hour or two or three she still seems sick... I would call an ambulance. It could be affecting her heart.

It takes me a couple of hours to get back to normal, and the one time it just wasn't happening, I ended up being admitted for IV drip and they told us we did the right thing by coming in even though I didn't seem so sick. So don't feel like you're crying wolf. But I don't know if the Israeli system admits just to give someone an IV.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:31 pm
She's taking drinking seriously now, and she took the minerals. She said she's feeling better, B"H, but we'll be going to the doctor first thing in the morning to have her checked out. Thanks for the support.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:35 pm
Here's a list of Terem locations and hours http://www.terem.com/en/locations/open-hours
and the price they charge for a visit, it differs quite a bit from one kupah to the next http://www.terem.com/en/patien.....-fees

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:38 pm
Maybe your daughter was tired, nervous, exhausted, and in need of some water which caused her to feel anxious. What you described in the OP sounded like it was possibly anxiety to me. Anyways, you're taking her to the dr. tomorrow so let us know how it goes.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
She's taking drinking seriously now, and she took the minerals. She said she's feeling better, B"H, but we'll be going to the doctor first thing in the morning to have her checked out. Thanks for the support.
Glad to hear!!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 1:49 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Here's a list of Terem locations and hours http://www.terem.com/en/locations/open-hours
and the price they charge for a visit, it differs quite a bit from one kupah to the next http://www.terem.com/en/patien.....-fees

These links were so helpful. Knowing the fee ahead of time makes it less scary to go there, for sure. Thank you for that.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 2:28 am
Sitting in macabi meyune.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics