Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help! Never had more to do and never more exhausted

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 4:51 pm
I'm ready to collapse.
I've just entered my 5th month of pregnancy (following a stillbirth in March). I have two young kids at home. I'm working an insane amount (I work in International Affairs and there's a lot going on these days). I work early hours and I'm on call at night.
I've tried not to have too many guests over Yom Tov, but somehow I ended up with 15 people at second day lunch...
I had this whole schedule planned of how I could cook and freeze stuff this week before Yom Tov, but it has completely fallen to pieces. One night I had a board of directors meeting that I hadn't realized I had, and tonight I'm on call again and my blackberry won't stop ringing. I've finished my mounds of grocery shopping and that made me feel like I was pushing myself way way way too hard. I felt like I was about to go into labour. Too much.
Sigh...I've accomplished nothing for Yom Tov and it's freaking me out. I'll be working until 4pm tomorrow and then have to pick up the kids from Gan/School...so there's really no time for much before Yom Tov starts.

HELP! I'm completely overwhelmed. I see the mountain of things I have to do, but I can't get myself off the couch for fear that I'm pushing myself and my baby too far.
Can anyone relate?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 4:58 pm
Can I just say that you sound like an amazing person!

(sorry, I know that's not helpful... but I can't even imagine having that much on my plate)

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 4:59 pm
Hug

Just reading that made me want to hide under the bed! If all your shopping is done, I would focus on making a clear menu plan and cook most of the food on YT. At least you'll be disconnected from work for a few days...

monseychick

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 4:59 pm
You didn't say if you were married so I hope not hurting you by saying this...

BUT WHY ISN'T YOUR HUSBAND HELPING YOU MORE

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:01 pm
monseychick wrote:

Presumably he is similarly occupied. Most husbands aren't sitting around with loads of free time on their hands.

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:02 pm
monseychick wrote:

My husband is completely caring for our children. He absolutely will help however I ask and however he sees is needed. But believe me when I tell you that my schedule pales in comparison to his...

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:03 pm
We enjoy being busy and having very full lives. But sometimes everything just aligns in such a way as to make it unmanageable. With everything that happened to me and my baby just a few months ago, I'm just too scared to push myself too far this time. I feel like my body is telling me to slow down at the moment, so I guess I have no choice.

morah

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:07 pm
Take it easy and rest up. You can cook on YT. The only stuff you need to do beforehand is anything that requires the use of a mixer or food processor. Also, it sounds like you're only having guests for one meal? Keep it simple for your own family- chicken and rice, a pot of soup- and save the fancy stuff for the guests. And remember, you can work on it Thursday night/Friday morning, when you'll hopefully be feeling better.

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:12 pm
All good advice. Thanks, ladies.

November

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:15 pm
I'd say use your crockpot. After dinner on yom Tov you can throw in some ingredients and have yummy chicken with veges or roast or so many good things by lunchtime the next day. Also try making fresh salads just before the meal. If you can get rice or pasta cooked before yom Tov, you can create some yummy sides on yom Tov. Good luck- it is an overwhelming time of year.

lovingmother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 5:47 pm
Your baby is more important than your guests. BUY THE FOOD. The money is worth it in this case. Buy food, and then go to sleep. And I assume you are using paper goods. You will never forgive yourself it you overdo it. Have a great yom tov!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 6:12 pm
I'm in the same boat, kind of. Not expecting but really overwhelmed with work, being sick, and everything else, but having lots of company.

Here's my plan:

Buy challah.

Skip fish and soup.

Make a 2 big roasts (10 minutes to throw in crockpot).

Make a 3 potato kugels (15 minutes prep each).

Roast some veggies.

Buy dessert.

Everything else you can make on Yom Tov (rice, quinoa, salads, veggies).

Enjoy your company, and feel good! Smile

rachel6543

Post Tue, Oct 07 2014, 7:02 pm
Think easy. Beef stew on stove or in crock pot. Make some rice and potatoes that can be served with several meals.

Chicken on stove or crock pot.

Coldcuts for one meal.

Buy challah.

Make salads or slices veggies. Easy sides like boiled eggs, egg salad, tuna salad

I'm making one lunch dairy. Grilled cheese and tomoto soup with a side salad. Simple, easy and fun. Ice cream for dessert.

Buy dessert or serve sliced fruit. Rice crispy treats can be made fresh on the stove yom tov morning.

If you're having guests and really overwhelmed, maybe ask one or more of the guests if they can help? Maybe they can come yom tov morning to help cook or bring something.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics