Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What to bring from America to Israel
1  2  Next

luppamom

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 12:45 am
I am returning from America to Israel after Succos. I can never think of good things to take back with me.

Does anyone have ideas of any (I) food ingredients (ii) baby products (iii) misc. stuff

that are unavailable in Israel or are MUCH cheaper in the US. (Obviously, I have weight limits) that you recommend bringing back?

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 3:07 am
American plushy toilet paper. I forgot how soft toilet paper can be until I went back there recently.
I also stock up on makeup because it's so expensive here and they don't sell most of the good brands.

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 3:28 am
Real vanilla extract. Ziploc bags. Baking soda that comes in big boxes instead of tiny little envelopes. Pam. Heavy duty tinfoil. American cheese. Steak.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 3:51 am
Oh Israel is a deserted Island. Rolling Eyes you don't need to bring a single thing! All the suggestions ppl gave you here, we have ALL of those things here! Don't bother schlepping.

grace413

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 3:58 am
Walking/athletic shoes.
Over the counter medication
socks/underwear
bras
Strong paper plates (good for the microwave)

mamatov5, yes B"H we have almost everything here but if she's already in the States and can save money by buying there, it's worth it. Everybody has their own list. I, for instance, would not bring toilet paper but I've lived here for 30 years and always buy bras in the States.

luppamom, there are several threads on this subject, you might want to do a search.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 5:09 am
I got sprinkles and baking powder- it comes in a nice can that I empty my packets into. The last one lasted 7 years. Other toppings if I would have thought of it

Also shoes and underclothes since I was there and it was easier.
Crayola products, good quality at non-super-inflated prices.

Get things online that only deliver in the US

m in Israel

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 5:45 am
There are a TON of threads on this -- definitely worth doing a search to find everyone's ideas and see which ones work for you. Everyone has their own "things". Of the top of my head, we buy deodorant and sunscreen in the U.S., kids clothing, underwear and socks, shoes (especially kids sneakers -- literally 1/4 of the price).

m in Israel

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 5:58 am
I did a search for you -- here are some old threads on the topic:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....rt=20

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....srael

I'm sure there are more but I am out of time

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 6:44 am
I've already posted about ziplocs being available here in one of those threads or a different one.

If OU on real vanilla works for you, you can get that here too. Maybe it costs more, but I hate flying with liquid in my suitcase. I like the way vanilla smells but I don't think I'd want all my clothes to smell of it. Also I go through vanilla quickly, no way I could bring enough.

You can also buy baking soda in big plastic containers, I have a 200 gram bottle of Dafna brand. And my container for baking powder I bought here too, at Super Deal in Jerusalem, probably can find anyplace that there's a store that stocks items that Anglos buy.

They also sell sprinkles here.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 8:52 am
I still bring my friends their favourite marks and sparks underwear, although they have lived in Israel for 20 odd years!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 2:41 pm
Batteries, shavers, sneakers, sound machine.

mandksima

Post Thu, Oct 09 2014, 1:09 pm
My MIL visits twice a year and these are the things I ask her to bring as they are much pricier or less quality here:
kids clothes (I order online at Old Navy and such)
underwear/socks
batteries
vitamins/OTC meds
health food store items (I order a lot from iherb.com but I ask her to bring heavier items that they won't ship)
brown mustard (I haven't seen it for 2 years here at all but it is so pricey here anyway)
mint extract
crayola washable markers (a MUST have item for the kids - I refuse to buy non-washable)
ziploc bags(put in a bag)
Puffs tissues (put in a bag)

It all comes down to what you can do without if it costs too much here. I personally would not buy ziploc bags here, I would just do without or bring enough when dh or I travel (not often at all). My parents/brother come once in a while and I just ask them to bring a few when they come. It kills me to pay 2-3 times the cost for imported items.

BTW - I used to bring vanilla until I started making my own out of a bottle of vodka and a few vanilla beans. Much cheaper and works out great! My mother has actually brought me a pack of vanilla beans from Costco as they were cheaper but you can easily buy them here.

sprayonlove

Post Thu, Oct 09 2014, 4:18 pm
-bras
-makeup, makeup,makeup
-vitamins (solgar for example)
-deodarant
-perfume body spray/mist
-crest whitening toothpaste
-crest whitening mouthwash
-ziploc bags
-stockings
-contacts
-face wash
-quality nail polish
-clinique self tanner for face

Most of these are beauty products because they are so expensive here!!! Its just not worth it id rather stock up whenever I go to america.

Shuly

Post Thu, Oct 09 2014, 4:18 pm
Mouthwash
Bacitracin
A&D Ointment
pacifiers
kids toothpaste (they have Elmex here, but nothing with sparkles!)
Maxi Pads
Mrs. Dash spices

sprayonlove

Post Thu, Oct 09 2014, 4:22 pm
Also socks and underwear for my husband. And kids clothes are of course way cheaper in america.

chani8

Post Fri, Oct 10 2014, 1:59 am
Good quality safety pins (aka diaper pins) in various sizes.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 10 2014, 2:42 am
Shuly wrote:
Mouthwash
Bacitracin
A&D Ointment
pacifiers
kids toothpaste (they have Elmex here, but nothing with sparkles!)
Maxi Pads
Mrs. Dash spices

Mouthwash and Maxi Pads? Really? Some of the other things mentioned in this thread I could see bringing, but those 2 things get used up so fast, I don't see how it's worth it. BTW, I think the pads here are just fine, and even though listerine is expensive here, I just saw super pharm's brand advertised for 9 shekels a bottle.
Not trying to be mean to you Shuly, those 2 items kind of jumped out at me.

m in Israel

Post Fri, Oct 10 2014, 5:21 am
If you have little kids, the Bacitracin is a good idea -- here you need a prescription to buy it, which is of course a huge pain if your kid gets a cut and you know it doesn't need stitches, why should you have to deal with getting a prescription. I recently moved and couldn't find my tube from the U.S., and sure enough that was exactly when TWO of my kids on the same day got cuts (one from a knife and one when playing outside.) Both were big enough that I was concerned about infection but not big enough that I would go to a doctor. . BH we figured out which box it might be in and found it!

mandksima

Post Fri, Oct 10 2014, 6:33 am
Maxi pads are really lightweight so they actually are a good filler for your luggage when you have a pound left to fill and extra space. They are much cheaper in the States especially with coupons and I would bring some back next trip of mine now that I have a teen daughter as well. I don't get out of our yishuv much so I am forced to buy here at non-sale prices if I don't stock up. So it would make sense for me but maybe not for someone else who lives near a Superpharm with good sales.

sprayonlove

Post Fri, Oct 10 2014, 7:45 am
Yes, believe it or not, but maxi pads and tampons are good things to bring from america. I had a huge ziploc bag full of tampons that I took out of my suitcase when I was moving here and I definitely regretted it when I saw the prices at Superpharm.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics