Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Need help with slicing roast

queen76

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:08 am
I never seem to get those perfect neat thin slices. I went out to buy an expensive knife, (the ceramic one) I sliced the meat after it cooled in the fridge, what am I doing wrong?
Why is my roast falling apart when I slice it?????
HELP ME SAVE MY ROAST!!

ila

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:15 am
Do you cut out against the lines it have?I don't know what is the name of the lines but you should cut the other direction, hope you understand what I mean...

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:23 am
your meat is falling apart because it is overcooked.

here is what I do. cook the roast through to well done (for a tough cut of meat- not a rib roast)
Chill it until good and cold. Like overnight in the fridge.

Cut it against the grain. The grain is the 'lines' referred to in the post above. you want to cut against those lines so they are not long lines anymore.

Then, put your meat back into the pan, season your gravy and cover. its now you can add vegetables like carrots or celery. potatoes that are quartered etc. cook at low heat until you test the meat and it is tender. Tender. Not falling apart. Chewable. Ideally with some texture still left in it.

If you overcook it, you will get meat strings and mush.

length of time you cook depends on a bunch of things including size and the quirks of your oven.

cook well, cook long and slow but do not overcook!

queen76

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:25 am
Tnx all for the tips

ces

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:26 am
ila means cutting against the grain Wink

Using a sharp knife is critical, as is making sure the roast is 100% cooled off. I know you said you did both. I'd stress again to make sure the roast is absolutely cold - not just room temperature or partially cooled down. Also, hopefully you bought a large sized knife.

Some roasts just slice more neatly than others! I prefer thin slices, but it is definitely easier to keep your slices even and neat if you slice them a bit thicker. With "messier" roasts, I give in and go for a thicker slice. What type of roast are you slicing, and how did you cook it?

Make sure you're holding your roast firmly in place (use your gloved hand) and using a "sawing" back and forth motion to cut through. Don't just push the knife straight down through the meat, that will definitely shred it.

At the end of the day, if your roast is falling apart... there may be nothing you can do about it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 1:35 am
I forgot to add that ceramic knives are amazing. I am a caterer and I use nothing but. let the knife do the cutting. its sharp enough it'll handle it.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 2:20 am
The previous replies are great. When you slice, don't just hold the knife straight, when you go forward point the tip up, when pulling back point it down.
This helps keep it more contained.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics