Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Urgent: Healthier birthday cake?
1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 12:42 am
So I am almost positive that I posted something like this at birthday season last year too, only now I can't find it. Watch it come up in related topics after I post this.

Looking for a healthier way to make birthday cake. It needs to be a genuine cake, don't tell me to just serve fruit salad instead. I am fine with using chocolate to cover up for whole-wheat taste; I hear you can get away with more in a chocolate cake because the flavor makes up for it - but still, I need a good recipe suggestion.

Here are the buts, which exclude just about every "healthier" recipe I have found:
1. No nuts
2. No bananas
3. No beans
4. Must be frost-able. I have made a couple of "healthier" cakes that were very crumbly. Yes, I will freeze the cake and frost it gently but it needs to be able to hold its shape.

On that note, would also take suggestions of healthier frosting recipes, though I will probably just concede defeat on that one. Two birthday cakes a year are unlikely to kill us. We have pretty good portion control too.

TIA!

Oh, and the party's tomorrow and I need time to shop, bake, frost, and decorate. So please hurry!!! I've been running a little behind this year!!!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:01 am
How about a good carrot cake? I had a recipe somewhere, if I can find it. It was delicious, relatively healthy, and you could for sure frost it!

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:03 am
Hmm... maybe. Not sure. A regular chocolate or vanilla cake would definitely be well received. Carrot cake only maybe. And I'd have to buy carrots. If you have a healthy recipe, though, I'd be happy to hear. My current carrot cake recipe has as much sugar and oil and stuff as any other cake.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:04 am
But how healthy could you make a chocolate cake anyway? I mean if you use whole wheat flour.. but it's still chocolate cake.

What about apple cake?

oliveoil

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:11 am
not so healthy because it still has a lot of sugar, but this cake is delicious: http://www.barefeetinthekitche......html

oliveoil

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:11 am
and u can make the frosting with coconut milk if u want it to be healtheir

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:13 am
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....cipe/

Not sure what you consider healthy, though. If it's just less sugar and ww for example, I would stick with a tried and true recipe and make mini cupcakes so everyone has a small amount.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:46 am
Sorry, I don't have the recipe link, but last year I made a chocolate cake using spelt flour. I found a recipe online, but didn't save the link (wish I did). The cake came out really good. I even made chocolate frosting with chocolate sprinkles on top for the cake.

So if you want a healthier option you might consider googling chocolate spelt cake recipes. Also, if you want to cut down on oil, applesauce is often a good substitute to use.

Good luck.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:59 am
Right so substituting applesauce for oil and whole wheat for white is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for but I'm afraid to play around with quantities when it comes to cake, which is why I'm looking for a good recipe recommendation. Also would love a lower sugar recipe, usually when I use honey I use half as much for instance but again I'm not sure how that would work in a cake unless I have a tried and tested recipe to follow.

I kind of improvised with brownies over yomtov and they came out good but not good enough (and too crumbly) to be birthday cake. Must be cake, not cupcakes - kids are very set in this tradition Wink

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 2:22 am
I just made this for my nephew.
1 1/2 c flour
1 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa
1 t baking soda

1 c cold coffee
1/2 c oil
1 t vanilla

Mix the wet and dry separately then together till smooth. Add 2T vinegar mix till just combined.
I don't know the tmp or times...when the toothpick comes out clean.

I did half applesauce and half liquid stevia. I used white, but 70% is probably just fine

They came out moist. I put a glaze on top with sprinkles. Everyone was happy

Put powdered sugar in a cup, adds little oil and vanilla and unsought water to get the consistentcy you want.
Put sprinkles immediately, before it dries.

Motherlee

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 2:29 am
Check out yummly.com.

Just type "healthy cake no oil, sugar etc." in the search engine.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 2:43 am
I would make zucchini choclolate cake or brownies. It is super super moist from all the shredded zucchini and I have always subbed applesauce for most of the oil and whole wheat (80%) flour for regular flour.

chani8

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 2:44 am
I don't know if you'd like the texture, but we love corn bread cake. We use corn meal (not corn starch!) as the 'flour'. It goes like this:

2 cups cornmeal
2 cups water or other liquid (soy milk, milk, coconut milk)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
Then, 1 cup chocolate chips, or cocoa and sugar, or plain cocoa and chocolate chips.
(We use 65% chocolate chips and don't add sugar.)

chickpea_salad

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 3:02 am
I would shy away from making too many substitutes at once. Take a hit in one area (sugar/fat) and make the rest healthy. I'm always looking for lower sugar recipes, but your preference might be low fat.

I have had success making tofu "cheese" cake in the past. It can be low sugar and low fat, but it is not a traditional birthday cake.

Here is a recipe I have found (but not tested)

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com.....e.php

I would substitute glucose and stevia for agave to save sugar, or honey for agave to save money. You might prefer to substitute for some of the oils.

You can find lots of silken tofu frosting recipes online, the trick is finding the silken tofu!

freidasima

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 3:09 am
I make this for yuntif and it's great. Just use applesauce where I would have used bananas.

2.5 cups whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1.5 cups orange juice
1/2 cup silan (date syrup) or maple syrup or honey
2 eggs
1-1.5 cups or any chopped fruit including dates (then you can cut the sweetener to 1/4 cup)
cinnamon

dont worry about the exact measurements I never measure precisely except the flour part, all the rest I just kind of dump in.

Mix. without the fruit and then fold in the fruit
bake at 375 for about 20 minutes to half an hour, until the top is set and not jiggly and when you press it, it doesn't leave an indentation.

Take out and cool.
frost - with what? If you can make it milchig use no fat or low fat white cheese and honey or silan and cinnamon. If you have to make it pareve you are stuck, I would use a whole fruit jam or something.

Enjoy, we all did...it comes out "muffiny"

misteray

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:17 am
I make pumpkin chocolate muffins that would come out good as a cake. I have my DD's b-day coming up and will probably use it.

The basic recipe, but obviously adjust as needed:

1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 T oil
1 egg
1/2 cup hot water with 1/2-1 tsp coffee
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1+ cup pumpkin puree

yields about 12 muffins depending how much pumpkin you put in.
bake 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

There's minimal to no pumpkin taste in this, just very moist muffins. I actually put in about 1/4 cup sugar because I do not like anything sweet, so adjust accordingly.

Happy birthday! :-)

misteray

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:23 am
Oh, and like another pp said canned coconut milk works well for frosting: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....hots/
It's yum!

piegirl

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 12:47 pm
What about something like this?

http://www.littlehouseliving.c......html

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:14 pm
Great, thanks. Maybe I will use friedasima's recipe (when you said applesauce instead of bananas, you mean where it says "any fruit?")

But Shopmiami85, if you can share your zucchini cake recipe I'm interested! If not now then for the future. But I happen to have a large zucchini looking for its destiny around now.

ElTam

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 1:38 pm
From www.theppk.com. Only exchange is switching coconut milk for almond milk since you said no nuts.

Delicate vanilla cake dotted with real vanilla bean. Glossy chocolate ganache messing up your fingers. It’s the simple things in life! This is basically the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World cupcakes, only made a teeny bit more awesome.

For the cupcakes:
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped (you can use vanilla extract)

For the ganache:
1/3 cup almond milk
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Bake the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Spray lightly with cooking spray.

Whisk the coconut milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.

Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.

Beat together the coconut milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla extract and vanilla bean in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain.

Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool.

In the meantime, prepare the ganache.

In a small sauce pan, bring the milk to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and add the chocolate and syrup. Mix with a rubber spatula for about 30 seconds. Turn heat off, continue stirring until the chocolate is fully melted and the icing is smooth.

To assemble:
Let ganache cool for about 10 minutes. Dip the top of the cupcake in the ganache and then set them on a cooling rack. Spoon the remainder of the ganache over cupcakes. Let set in a cool room for an hour or so, or place in the fridge to set. Serve to happy people!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking