Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Urgent: Healthier birthday cake?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

freidasima

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:21 am
I meant that I usually put two ripe bananas into the batter instead of the applesauce but if you don't want bananas you can always use applesauce instead.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:26 am
freidasima wrote:
I meant that I usually put two ripe bananas into the batter instead of the applesauce but if you don't want bananas you can always use applesauce instead.

I didn't see any applesauce in the recipe. Can you please double check that you copied it correctly because I am actually about to start making it this minute. All I saw was chopped fruit.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:29 am
freidasima wrote:
I make this for yuntif and it's great. Just use applesauce where I would have used bananas.

2.5 cups whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1.5 cups orange juice
1/2 cup silan (date syrup) or maple syrup or honey
2 eggs
1-1.5 cups or any chopped fruit including dates (then you can cut the sweetener to 1/4 cup)
cinnamon

dont worry about the exact measurements I never measure precisely except the flour part, all the rest I just kind of dump in.

Mix. without the fruit and then fold in the fruit
bake at 375 for about 20 minutes to half an hour, until the top is set and not jiggly and when you press it, it doesn't leave an indentation.

Take out and cool.
frost - with what? If you can make it milchig use no fat or low fat white cheese and honey or silan and cinnamon. If you have to make it pareve you are stuck, I would use a whole fruit jam or something.

Enjoy, we all did...it comes out "muffiny"

Also, what size pan is this for?

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:36 am
seeker wrote:
Great, thanks. Maybe I will use friedasima's recipe (when you said applesauce instead of bananas, you mean where it says "any fruit?")

But Shopmiami85, if you can share your zucchini cake recipe I'm interested! If not now then for the future. But I happen to have a large zucchini looking for its destiny around now.

I can't remember any particular recipe I've used...sorry! But I have used a few from allrecipes.com, so check it out and read the reviews until you find what you like.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:37 am
I also make plain zucchini cake - no chocolate. If you are interested, let me know and I'll type it out.

ETA I had it saved in my allrecipes recipe box.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/m......aspx

I use 4 c. shredded zucchini instead of 3 and it was even more moist.

Last edited by Shopmiami49 on Sun, Oct 12 2014, 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

freidasima

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:54 am
I forgot to write in the applesauce, sorry. Add half a cup of unsweetened applesauce.
As for size pan I have no idea. I have used the recipie for muffins and for cake, I just take whatever disposable pan I have around and put it in. If it's a small deep pan you bake it for longer and if it's a big not deep one for shorter. In brief it needs at least 20 minutes and then just check every five minutes or so.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:55 am
Thanks, great! I was just about to give up and turn off the oven. Phew. Will let you know how it turns out Smile

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:56 am
Also, how important is the chopped fruit? Can it just be a plain cake or does it need to be a fruit cake? Can I add extra applesauce instead of chopping apples or whatever?

freidasima

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 12:13 pm
it can be a plain cake but then it is drier. See if you have any fruit in the house, an apple you can chop in, a peach, a plum, a pear, anything. It makes it much tastier believe me.
And don't forget the frosting. makes it great.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 2:10 pm
Thanks Friedasima and all! It smells yummy and came out of the pan in one piece so now I just need to decorate it. Oddly my coconut oil is perpetually liquid (is my kitchen always that warm? didn't think so...) so I'm not sure whether I dare use it in the frosting... I have only half a stick of crisco left from the old days (it's not expired yet and smells fresh) so I was thinking of doing half and half because I don't know if halving the recipe will be enough for the cake. But I need it to be firm enough to make designs. Any thoughts? I know icing is pretty gross when I'm trying to otherwise healthify the cake but this is like my one artistic outlet of the whole year (two, now I have two kids! But birthdays only a month apart so still feels like one big fling) and I and the whole family look forward to cake designs... maybe I'll try half and half.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 5:34 pm
Probably too late for this time, but you can measure out the coconut oil and then stick in the freezer to harden.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 7:26 pm
the crisco is worse than anything else you could possibly put in or on your cake.

proudmother1

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 8:46 pm
What do you consider a healthier cake?
I make a delicious pumpkin cake. It has pumpkin puree, which is healthy, but also has lots of oil and sugar.

I'm curious about why you would go to such great lengths for a healthier birthday cake. Its not like you will serve this every day.

One more interesting tidbit. I baked a marble cake last week. As I was measuring out the ingredients I realized that the only oil I had in the house was olive oil (Not light, more like a medium.) I used it, figuring I don't have much to lose at that point. It was surprisingly delicious!

So, here you go. Try to substitute the other oils for olive oil, and your cake is instantly more healthy.

freidasima

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:02 pm
Well as I never use sugar, oil or shortening of any kind and try to use only whole wheat or other (buckwheat, chumus or whatever) flour I guess you would consider my cakes "healthy".

As I would never serve "poison" even in small doses and I consider food coloring unless natural to be poison you won't find it in my kitchen ever. Same goes for most of the things that women here seem to use all the time such as lots of chemical based things with additives, but to each their own. So a birthday is no different than any other day for me, why would I give poison only "twice a year"?

We cant have fats in our family so that's not even an option here and most people do best with natural fats that aren't ever heated so you are talking about things you can't put in cake (as cake is baked) such as avocado fats, nuts and seeds. I've learned that almost everything can be substituted by applesauce, banana mash or prune mash, all natural, unsweetened and healthy.

It all depends on what you want to feed your family. I've found that the "sugar rush" from added sugar is not particularly healthy unless you are in extremis, meaning you have no other sugars around (natural occuring in food) and need it for physical activity at that very moment (think: you have to run a mile in a few moment or need to do something physical and are exhausted and need the sugar jolt) and that...well I can't ever think of that happening around here.

To each their own, I've found it's what you are used to and your society is used to. If you grew up in a home where mommy cooks with lots of fats and sugars and chemicals you are used to it, you usually think it is normal, and if that's what social pressure pressures you to do it's an added issue. The way people get around it psychologically is to day "it's only for special occasions" etc. Yeah well. We Jews have too many "special occasions". Shabbos once a week, yuntif every two or three months, birthdays, bar mitzva, bris, shabbat chatan, sheva brochos, aufruf, you name it and we eat. I look around at young Jewish women and older Jewish women and young Jewish men and older Jewish men of the generation of ages zero to around my age and I see a lot of people with health and weight issues that come from a culture of unhealthy eating and not enough physical exercise to burn it off. I remember my grandparents who did eat chicken fat and other things, but they worked at physical labor and didn't have labor saving devices as we do today and they sure burned it off. They didn't have a car, walked everywhere, shlepped stuff and could afford that once a week chicken which is what they had, not the overabundance of good but fattening food like today. So yes, to each their own but instead of asking the OP why she is making these efforts to make a healthy birthday cake if it is only once or twice a year, I would say the opposite, to give her a big Yasher Koach (!) for trying to make these treats - and everyone loves treats, why not?! - as healthy as she can without the extra dose of chemicals and added non natural substances. After all there are a lot of creamy, healthy, sweet and tasty natural things, why not get our pallates used to them and get our children used to them, so that they won't think that if somehting is not dripping in sugar, fat and oil it isn't tasty?

Yes folks, it's one of my soapboxes, especially as I see how unhealthy eating can really make people sick in the long run and it's not only that person's business, it is all of our business as we care for each other (not to speak of having to pay more to pay for that person's health care...)

Yasher Koach op and I hope that the cake turned out great!

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 12 2014, 11:28 pm
I'll let you know tomorrow but it smelled delish baking!

Pro tip: Coconut oil works nicely in frosting just to spread, but not so much for decorating.

I consider "healthier" = less/no oil (no hydrogenated fat), less/no sugar (and a more natural form, e.g. honey), whole grains and if possible less flour altogether.

I already use olive or coconut oil almost exclusively. Olive works fine in just about everything, I buy the "light tasting" kind.

Ideally I would not want to do "poison" even in small doses but I'm already "that mom" in too many ways and I don't think we're ready to just eschew birthday cakes altogether. Too much competing culture. But I still think a no-oil, low-sugar, whole-wheat, fruit-filled cake with a thin layer of half-coconut oil, half-crisco, white sugar, and food coloring (I used mostly plain white and just added flowers and stuff with colored, so each person is really eating a minute amount. Also, next time I am near a Whole Foods I hear they sell natural food coloring and I intend to pick some up) is far better than an oil-ful, sugar-ful, margarine-y, white-floury cake with crisco+food coloring decorations. And it really is only for kid birthdays, of which I have two. For Shabbos/Yomtov we do plain cake/cookies/cupcakes which I also try to stick to healthier recipes - e.g. oatmeal-date-whole wheat cookies, healthy muffins which my kids call cupcakes anyway, etc.

My generation mostly grew up eating the garbage all the time. Now, as a whole population, we're not your healthiest, but we pretty much survived and that was high toxic levels. So I really think that yes, having a small amount of poison a few times a year is not really such a big deal, I just try to limit the amount and not make it habitual.

freidasima

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 12:25 am
Seeker I'm with you.
And a suggestion if you are making a cake and want coloring there definitely is natural food coloring in most colors, it's available in a lot of places that sell healthy stuff.
Also I've learned that although either fondant or fluffy frosting LOOKS lovely, most people including kids end up peeling it off the cake and eating the cake.
One possibility is to make a cooked pudding filling and frosting which can come out really nice, using water, eggs, cornstarch and honey/silan and either milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk etc. (whitish) or adding cocoa (chocolate color) and then using fruit cut up to decorate in shapes. Again no need for oil.
And the best part? That's the kind of filling/frosting that people actually EAT, it's tasty and digestible and sweet.
And crisco? Maybe try to keep away from it, it's the worst, like margarine...and there are alternatives.

proudmother1

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 5:04 pm
To each his own....Here is my view on this issue:

I try to serve and eat healthy too. And we do for the most part.
Whole wheat most of the time. I do not fry foods. Olive oil in moderation. Lots of fruits and vegetables.
Soda, potato chips and candies etc as an occasional treat. And we have a piece of cake every Shabbos. Real cake. Not necessarily three color cake, but not applesauce/mashed banana cake either. But we have moderate portions.

Because what I found in many instances where eating healthy was taken to these extremes (Where even a birthday cake couldn't be a real birthday cake) the kids resent it so badly that when they have the tiniest opening they gorge themselves on garbage.

Even in my home, where healthy eating is moderate and sensible, with allowance for the occasional treat, my kids crave donuts, chocolate, pizza etc. My teenage son had to go through a year of "food rebellion" until he finally came back to his senses on his own and declared that he was ready to eat healthy again. Once he was able to buy his own lunch (with many food shops around his school building) he existed on donuts and pizza for an entire year. He would leave the healthy lunch that I packed for him on the bus, and buy garbage instead. He did not like the extra weight he put on, and his loss of fitness, so he came back home to my old ways. But he felt confident that he will not be totally deprived. I make sure that he gets his sugar rush on occasion, while teaching him to eat healthy most of the time. So now he will eat the likes of a whole wheat peanut butter sandwich and an apple for lunch on most days, and a donut every now and then. I am happy that he eats healthy 90% of the time.

I believe that moderation is the key to everything. Extremism is not sustainable.

freidasima

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 7:54 am
So you think it is extreme not to eat something that is a proven carcinogen (certain additives, non natural food colorings?) or addictive (white sugar)?

We have all been SOOOO influenced by western advertising that we think it's normal to offer our families foods that are dangerous. I'm not talking about those with little nutritional value (white flour, white rice etc.) but those which are downright dangerous (trans fats, chemical preservatives, additives, "substitutes" and chemical food colorings)...just because they are being pushed on us by the media over and over and over and it's just so much easier to give in that to remember that we are talking about poison, literally.

Basically moderation is a wonderful thing but then one would say "why is someone soooo absolutely FANATICAL about this kosher business? A little bit of pork won't kill anyone, after all "moderation""!!

To which of course we all know the answer. Because G-d says "NO". and we go by that. We aren't about to be zapped today, immediately, if we eat treif. For that there is the heavenly court and the world to come where we get reward and punishment or so we believe.

Same with the poison I'm talking about. In most cases people don't get an immediate reaction, they eat it and go about their daily business. But in the future, in THIS world, there's going to be a punishment, a payment for eating it....why is it worth it to people to eat there things which we really know is poison and not "harmless"?

proudmother1

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:42 am
freidasima wrote:
So you think it is extreme not to eat something that is a proven carcinogen (certain additives, non natural food colorings?) or addictive (white sugar)?

We have all been SOOOO influenced by western advertising that we think it's normal to offer our families foods that are dangerous. I'm not talking about those with little nutritional value (white flour, white rice etc.) but those which are downright dangerous (trans fats, chemical preservatives, additives, "substitutes" and chemical food colorings)...just because they are being pushed on us by the media over and over and over and it's just so much easier to give in that to remember that we are talking about poison, literally.

Basically moderation is a wonderful thing but then one would say "why is someone soooo absolutely FANATICAL about this kosher business? A little bit of pork won't kill anyone, after all "moderation""!!

To which of course we all know the answer. Because G-d says "NO". and we go by that. We aren't about to be zapped today, immediately, if we eat treif. For that there is the heavenly court and the world to come where we get reward and punishment or so we believe.

Same with the poison I'm talking about. In most cases people don't get an immediate reaction, they eat it and go about their daily business. But in the future, in THIS world, there's going to be a punishment, a payment for eating it....why is it worth it to people to eat there things which we really know is poison and not "harmless"?

You are strengthening my position with your argument. I have seen you post on other threads, and you seem to be a very intelligent woman, so I know that you can understand my concept here. But I guess that healthy food is your own hangup, so you cannot be objective about it. So here I come, to counsel you, like to you so effectively do for other women on these threads.
Moderation is key in everything. Not because it is not better to be 100% perfect all the time, but because it is not sustainable with our youth.
What I am saying is: I try to say YES when possible and acceptable, so that my NO has value.
Kashrus is another good example. You say:
I get the sarcasm, but perhaps look at it from my perspective. Pork is the NO. I want it to have value when I teach it to my kids. So I keep the kashrus strong by not overly burdening my kids with kashrus issues that some hold by, but many reliable poskim don't - especially if I sense that it is difficult for them.
I don't have to start giving examples, and causing a stir here. I'm sure that everyone can apply this to their own homes.
For some its Tznius, for some its Kashrus, and for some it's healthy eating.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 11:58 am
Totally agree with proudmother.

That said for my birthday we had a cake adverstised as basically for health nuts (bear in mind Europe is much less dietetics minded) it was glutenless lactoseless and actually delicious. But there was sugar and vegetal marg. So I know on Imamother, doesn't fly. Oh and it even had a charedi hechsher we couldn't believe.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking