Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Appetizer ideas please.

rdmom

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 12:37 am
When it comes to a 3 day yom Tov my husband cannot stand to eat so much fish. Especially when I cook it plain like I would for Shabbos. So I like to come up with other interesting variations on appetizers.
For one meal I am doing baked hot salmon fish.
I am making mock sweetbread with rice for another meal.
I need some other appetizer ideas. Anybody help?

chani8

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 5:22 am
A lettuce or shredded cabbage salad with fruit and nuts.
A fruit salad.
Sushi made with lox.
Egg rolls.

momX3

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 6:40 am
Can you post the recipe for your mock sweet bread recipe?

rdmom

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 7:53 am
The mock sweetbread is really good. I don't have exact measurements cuz I follow my moms recipe and she doesn't have any. Sauté a lot of onions along with cubed stalks of celery. When translucent, add mushrooms ( I used canned, fresh is better). Add bite size pieces of dark chicken cutlets ( that's the way I buy it. I find the dark cutlets are closer in texture to sweetbread as opposed to white cutlets that are too dry). Add chicken soup ( or water and chicken soup mix) salt, black pepper and garlic powder. It should be watery but not very. If you want to thicken the broth add a roux or some corn starch. Serve over rice and it is yum.

I got another idea. I am making mashed beans with mini beef cutlets. Looks nice and tastes really heaven.

I like the egg roll idea but I hate frying on yom Tov. I find that it smells up the entire house.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 8:27 am
- Leftover fish over a brown rice salad or lettuce salad
- Corn beef and linguini salad
- egg rolls (cabbage or meat) [I fry before yom tov and freeze and then reheat in the oven on yom tov]
- meat bundles
- chicken won tons
- Grilled chicken salad (or just use any leftover chicken over a salad or baked or raw pastrami over a salad or mixed)
- Sauteed chicken liver
- fruit

sky

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 9:53 am
Asian Steak Salad (skirt steak and sauteed peppers and onions over lettuce from Kosher By Design)

debsey

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 9:21 pm
Pepper steak over rice (the BY cookbook recipe is AWESOME)
Leah Schapira's Blueberry Meatballs (from one of her "made easy" cookbooks) over rice or potatoes
potato knish with mushroom sauce (oldie but goodie!)
pretty much ANYTHING sauteed, mixed with egg, and baked in a mini tart shell or pie shell looks elegant.....I love the Pillsubury mini-tart shells, they just look so dainty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus