Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Cholent in oven for 3 day yontiv

amother1223

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:05 am
How do I make cholent in an oven for shabbat on a three day yontiv?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:07 am
We make it beforehand in a pot, put it in the fridge then start cooking it on 2nd day. Leave it on the Blech. Jut right

amother1223

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:08 am
what if I don't have a blech? I leave my oven at 175 Fahrenheit

Also, how much water do I add?

Learning

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:16 am
Do it as usual.

amother1223

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:22 am
does anyone have a good recipe for the oven? specifically I am afraid of it drying out

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:36 am
amother1223 wrote:
How do I make cholent in an oven for shabbat on a three day yontiv?
Prepare your pot/pan of cholent as usual. Leave oven at 250 and bake the cholent in the oven, tightly covered, for about 20 hours. It will not dry out.

amother1223

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:39 am
250 degrees for three days? Is that safe? It sounds awfully high. I've been doing 175 F

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:41 am
amother1223 wrote:
250 degrees for three days? Is that safe? It sounds awfully high. I've been doing 175 F
You can do 175. Put up the cholent Friday morning then.

supermom3

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:55 am
I know this isn't the question - but what would happen if you didn't eat cholent on Shabbos?? By the time you reach the third day people are happy with a change. Something lighter and cold.

The other thing that I wanted to say (also not your question). I made cholent the first day of yontif cause we were having a lot of company. It was such a pleasure to be able to mix, uncover, cover, add water... while it was cooking. Cholent should be Yontif food, not a Shabbos food!!

Learning

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 11:00 am
Do you have a crockpot. If you don't have you can buy it for very cheap. I leave it on low and put the chulent ingredients in on Friday morning. If I put the chulent in the oven it usually gets dry.

Learning

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 11:00 am
Do you have a crockpot. If you don't have you can buy it for very cheap. I leave it on low and put the chulent ingredients in on Friday morning. If I put the chulent in the oven it usually gets dry.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 11:34 am
if you're leaving the oven on, the cholent doesn't have to be inside for 3 days. put it in friday afternoon.

chaya35

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 12:24 pm
I cooked my chulent erev yom tov as usual then put into fridge and on Friday afternoon put into oven. Worked out great.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 12:28 pm
Friday morning I make my regular cholent in a 9x13 and seal tightly (aluminum covers work best) and put in oven until ready to serve. My oven is at 235 F.
It is really yummy.
I also put in a kugel in another pan and we get overnight potato kugel.
Just make sure nothing will leak (on rosh hashana my kugel leaked and we had a small fire in my oven). I now put a baking sheet under the pans in my oven to prevent this and catch any spills.

Ilana Tamar

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 12:38 pm
I ditched the cholent for the past two 3 dayers. We did overnite kugel instead. No one missed the heaviness of the cholent.

In the winter, I often leave soup on the Blech overnite in place of cholent.

It's not that I have anything against cholent. I do enjoy a good steaming bowl. It's the cleanup from cholent that I don't like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus