Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bris help needed

amother

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 2:46 pm
My baby had his bris Yesterday and was fine at first, feeding normally and slept.

When we got home from the shul, he became really unsettled and wouldn't stop screaming. He fed again, tried to sleep but every couple of minutes he would scream, obviously in pain. We called the mohel back to the house, he checked him and said everything was fine. He saw that the outer bandage was wet so he said the baby was obviously peeing. The baby went on for the rest of the day trying to sleep but screaming in pain every couple of minutes.

The mohel came back in the evening and again said everything was OK.

The baby was the same through the night but the cries got weaker and he also would not feed properly.

This morning the mohel came and removed the internal dressing. Again he said everything was normal.

After this, the baby calmed down immediately and was able to sleep. When I removed his diaper it was absolutely saturated. I'm concerned that the baby was unable to pee the previous day and that is why he was screaming so much, even though the mohel said he was peeing because the dressing was wet.
Thinking back, the later diapers I changed were not very wet, but the baby had been doing lots of poops so I was having to change the diapers often so I was not alerted to the fact they weren't very wet.

Throughout the day today, the baby has been sleeping deeply, not even waking for feeding (I had to wake him up each time.) He has been feeding much better but all his diapers have been extremely wet.

Does all this sound normal?! I now have the feeling that either something was not done correctly or the internal bandage was put on too tightly. I'm worried that my baby has been permanently damaged by either the proceedure or his suffering Yesterday.

I left a message for the mohel explaining what happened today, and he sent me a message saying that as long as the baby is peeing, it sounds as if everything is fine. But what about Yesterday? Does that mean things were not fine Yesterday?

I feel awful.

OneSource

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 2:48 pm
Just a suggestion but I would call my pediatrician and take him in asap. Just to be sure.

Good luck!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 2:54 pm
I have an appointment first thing tomorrow morning. My only option before then is the ER. I'm thinking that since the baby does not seem to be suffering at this moment (I think the problem was yesterday) it can wait the 12 hours til my appointment.

OneSource

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 3:15 pm
I would call the pediatrician's office and tell them he needs to be seen immediately (ie today...) but then again, we have a great pediatrician who has calling in hours every morning so I would have already spoken to her directly and asked her advice before worrying more (if you want her name, pm me.) If he seems ok today (bowel movements are regular, bris area looks fairly normal, pain level seems to be lower, etc.) then I would think you can wait until tomorrow morning to be seen by your pediatrician. Infant pain reliever should also be utilized as needed.

Sorry you are dealing with this. Sad

chani8

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 4:02 pm
He sounds fine now. It could be that the bandage was too tight yesterday, but it's over now, he's peeing well. You can relax, imo.

I mean, no fever, he's eating well, not screaming anymore. Sounds fine to me.

I would just ask, did he get his bris on day 8? Because I did have one baby who was traumatized by his bris on day 11. Made a big difference (unfortunately).

amother

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 4:03 pm
It's 10pm here. Our appointment is at 9 in the morning.

If he really needed to be seen tonight I can take him to the ER and wait 3 hours or more, but since I have an appointment in 11 hours and he does not seem to be in pain and is peeing normally, I'm thinking it is smarter to wait until the appointment.

I really just wanted to hear if this happened to anyone else. It's my first baby and I have no idea what is a normal recovery from a brit.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 4:07 pm
Chani8, yes it was the 8th day.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 10:46 am
OP Here.

Saw the pediatrician this morning and B"H everything is fine right now.

I'm just worried that the first bandage was put on too tight and he was in pain for a Whole day because of it :-( He must have been so traumatised :-(

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 12:26 pm
I also had my first a month and a half ago, and was also shocked and horrified by his obvious pain. And I was also worried he was going to be permanently traumatized or something. It also seemed like he had a lot of pain when peeing, although I didn't notice any diaper pattern like the one you saw. We had a different system where the internal bandage disintegrated after a week or so, so that part was different anyway. Baruch Hashem, after that first day or 2, he was back to his old happy self. Same thing happened after the first shot- he seemed so miserable at that moment, and I was afraid he'd never be the same. Baruch Hashem, he got over that one as well. Iy"H, your beautiful baby has recovered already or will in the very near future. You should have much nachas!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics