Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Please review Women's DVDS (e.g. Changed - Gininger) et al!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 5:25 pm
If you have the Changed DVD by Malky Gininger, please tell me about it.

We enjoy plays with a plot. I know this is a musical, but we tend to fast-forward the songs & dances because it's 11 pm & we all want to get to sleep (sorry, Malky, if you're here. Some of the songs on the DVD's are great, but til we get the kids to bed & sit down to start watching...)

So, we want to decide if we should buy this for our gals' get-together or just keep watching (& fast-forwarding) the old ones.

I checked Wiki, so I know it's based on Wicked which is about the Oz witches. (color me sheltered who has only heard of Broadway shows if I happened to go to NY in the last 5 years & see the billboards...) & I probably read everything L. Frank Baum wrote in my younger years, I was very into that. So I might enjoy it. But would like some advice! Thanks, cyberfriends!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 6:10 pm
59 views and nobody with anything to say? I am sure some of you have seen this?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 8:11 pm
I am reading the plot on Wiki - it looks like it would need a lot of editing to make it suitable for a frum audience. So I am really wondering how good the result is - if indeed the DVD is based on the play.

Anyone? Please?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 12:03 pm
Trying once more...

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 12:05 pm
Maybe you should watch it and tell us Wink

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 2:12 pm
The problem is that I've got a whole box of 'frum' DVD's, and we're very doubtful that most of them were worth the cost. So we'd really like to know if this one is.

Over 400 ladies have viewed this thread. Do I take it that not one has seen the video?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 2:16 pm
I have not and read this out of curiosity. I am now more curious.

Sorry I can't help. Sad

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 3:00 pm
an Imamother member was actually on the play (I think Tweedledee)

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 3:00 pm
I have it and only bought it because my ten year old wanted it because she goes into Malky giniger for lessons.
Honestly it's like any other Jewish video Nd definitely not worth 25

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 3:06 pm
Thank you for giving some feedback.

Does it have a plot? Or just a bunch of songs & dances with nebulous connection?

I happened to love the Journeys play, mainly because I love the Journeys songs. Newcomer, not so much.

When I watch s/t from my youth e.g. Sound of Music or Wizard in their frum variations, I get very into the songs.

(Hey, can we do Cinderella? Didn't think so...maybe as a shidduch story.... size of shoe, new criteria, great idea!)

But, for example, Annie & Oliver, which were after I became too frum to watch movies, so I am barely familiar with the songs (unless I happened to hear them in the supermarket...). They might grow on me if I watch a few times, but the DVDs are already a bit scratched, so not so great for reruns...I knew I should have backed them all up, but there is only so much you can cram onto a hard drive... and I have no patience to sit & burn backup DVDS...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 3:07 pm
Can someone please PM Tweedledee? (I can't bec I've put too much personal stuff on here...)

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
The problem is that I've got a whole box of 'frum' DVD's, and we're very doubtful that most of them were worth the cost. So we'd really like to know if this one is.

Over 400 ladies have viewed this thread. Do I take it that not one has seen the video?

I open nearly every new thread. I had never heard of either the play or the playwright beforehand.

Or I'm lying, I've seen it, and I'm withholding this information from you.

You decide which of these two realities you're living in.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 7:07 pm
It has a story line.
Malky giniger is the main part she has a sister who is disabled and the mayor is taking away services and she fights to get the services back for her sister.

gazingblue

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 8:39 pm
I personally have not seen it, but I heard it was good

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 6:37 pm
I see Mostly Music has two videos that look promising:
Sheffields Manor by Y Silverman and Spellbound by Henye Meyer & Abbie Lynne. Henye I know is a very talented writer, what could be bad?

They also have Outside the Camp, which I saw, and The Lost Song, which I can't remember if I saw or not.

Yaldei - A Girl Named Helen
Zareinu - Family Matters

There don't seem to be any reviews on the Mostly Music site. I'd love to get something for my DD, if only I knew what would really be good. Anyone?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:46 am
"(Hey, can we do Cinderella? Didn't think so...maybe as a shidduch story.... size of shoe, new criteria, great idea!) "

I am LOVING this! LOL

bigsis144

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 3:58 am
The two films by Kol Neshama/Robin Garbose are movie musicals with the BEST production values I've seen for any frum DVD. They look and sound like actual movies -- yay for all the hard work on color correction, sound design, etc.

A Light for Greytowers:

The Heart that Sings

Like most musicals in general, including plenty of Broadway ones, the stories are sweet and a bit cheesy, filled with winsome singing children and plucky heroines. So if you prefer heavier stuff ala Ushpizin or Fill the Void, it may not be your cup of tea, though both films do have their serious moments.

Disclaimer: I worked on both, and I'm in one. Wink

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 4:01 am
imasoftov wrote:
I open nearly every new thread. I had never heard of either the play or the playwright beforehand.

Or I'm lying, I've seen it, and I'm withholding this information from you.

You decide which of these two realities you're living in.

Very Happy

OP: Sorry, I opened your thread but I never saw this DVD.
Maybe next time you can put the DVD title in the thread title and then only people who know what you are talking about will view your thread.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:21 am
amother wrote:
Thank you for giving some feedback.

(Hey, can we do Cinderella? Didn't think so...maybe as a shidduch story.... size of shoe, new criteria, great idea!)

Can't disclose more then say, a major frum production company is doing a Cinderella story this year!

rise above

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:22 am
If you're looking for Jewish DVD's, I love the Rachels Place plays- especially Mary Poppins (That's my Nanny).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics