Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Are closed gifts allowed on planes?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 13 2014, 10:14 pm
My sister is going to sem after Yom Tov. I want to send her an "Open When..." Care Package. (A bunch of envelopes; each one is titled "open when [you're homesick; you're happy; you're stressed etc]", with a little something in each envelope according to its title).

My question is, will my sister be allowed to take it on the plane (carry-on or suitcase) if she doesn't know what's inside? Will security open the envelopes (That's no point then...)?

Thanks

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 9:41 pm
What a lovely, thoughtful gift! You sound like a great sister and I hope your kid sister appreciates you.

If she has no idea what's inside, chances are the package will be opened, esp. if she's going El Al. No other airline has security as stringent as El Al's. It does depend on what's inside. Anything metal will show up on the scanners, and that includes foil and Mylar packaging. Depending on how things are packed, innocuous items can look like weapons. And of course if you enclosed anything liquid or gel, like a little bottle of perfume or jar of cream, that's also going to cause problems.

Why make problems for your sister? Since you intend the gift to be used throughout her stay, there's really no need for it to be in her carryon. Have her pack it in her checked baggage and she'll have no problem whatsoever. Give her a single card to be opened on the plane, if you like, and make sure it contains nothing remotely questionable--no Mylar, foil, metal, liquid, gel, or blades.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics