Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff: Defining Secular

little_mage

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 5:59 am
In the magazine thread, several women stated that they don't read secular material on Shabbat. However, I'm curious how they define that. While I don't regularly read the magazines discussed, I've occasionally picked them up. What makes, for example, a recipe not secular? Just because it's kosher? The same with the stories that appear-they have Jewish characters, but other then that, they don't seem much different then any other story I could find.

Now, I'm not entirely sure how I define secular either, to be fair. But if you hold this way, I'm curious how you make that decision.

rachel91

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 6:10 am
I assume, secular meaning a secular author.
I once heard it's not allowed to read recipes on shabbes.
Then there are those who only read books in Yiddish, and only speak Yiddish on Shabbes, but that's another story.

chani8

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 6:13 am
You're not supposed to read recipes on Shabbat, either, not even kosher ones.

I googled and found a mish mash of more halachot about reading material on Shabbat:

http://www.halachipedia.com/in.....abbat

http://www.dailyhalacha.com/Di...../2009

The source for the halachot is Shulchan Aruch and Rashba:
Bottom line is, "It is forbidden on Shabbat and Yom Tov to read or study anything other than Torah material, except when a particular need arises, such as when one must consult a medical textbook for guidance in treating an ill patient."

ETA - not everyone holds by the strict SA. Plenty permit reading for pleasure.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 6:47 am
secular=published by non Jewish or non religious publication houses. eg the NYT and Tablet magazine are secular.

A secular publication will have material that may be inappropriate (in peoples opinions) or racy. Maybe explicit s-xual material. A frum person might not want their kid to read a story in which a couple are hugging etc. Or want to read it themselves. Lots of people might read say, chick lit on weekdays but only read jewish books on shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics