Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Jazzing Up Shabbos Lunch Menu?

debsey

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 9:18 pm
So, I'm hosting people for the Shabbos lunch meal, which IMHO is the WORST meal to host - kids are edgy, no one's hungry unless you make something AWESOME, and people are on edge.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can serve that will be exciting?
So far, we're having. Drumroll, please.....
Challah (homemade, thanks to all the people who gave me recipes!), olive dip (mine is AWESOME), chopped liver/eggs, chulent, and dessert (probably the fudge pie from the ami)
Oh, and either Bissli Salad (from here) or standard green salad.

Any ideas of a side dish that I can add to jazz this up a bit????

kb

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 9:23 pm
I'm a big believer in not making ANY food for 3rd day meals, and that people don't need to eat so much after so many heavy meals. So for R"H, I made a smaller cholent than usual (we usually have some leftovers) and my husband surprised me with two bochurim shabbos day... and we STILL had leftovers. So I think my theory is legit. (And it would be crazy annoying to work on making an awesome jazzed up menu, just to be told that no one has any interest in eating anymore!)

That being said, how about deli roll? Pastry dough, mustard and mayo, sauteed onions, cold cuts, rolled up and baked!

(I'm having company this shabbos - scheduled this time - and I'm planning on my regular menu - egg liver cholent kishka, plus salad and a dessert.)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 9:36 pm
debsey wrote:
So, I'm hosting people for the Shabbos lunch meal, which IMHO is the WORST meal to host - kids are edgy, no one's hungry unless you make something AWESOME, and people are on edge.
Challah (homemade, thanks to all the people who gave me recipes!), olive dip (mine is AWESOME), chopped liver/eggs, chulent, and dessert (probably the fudge pie from the ami)

I would add avocado spread, humus, a platter of pretty cold cut wraps, maybe a sushi rice salad.

debsey

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 9:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I would add avocado spread, humus, a platter of pretty cold cut wraps, maybe a sushi rice salad.

YUM - I think I'll extend my thinking in the dips department, that sounds about right. Lots of dips and variety to tempt people's appetites.
How do you make cold cut wraps?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 10:26 pm
debsey wrote:
YUM - I think I'll extend my thinking in the dips department, that sounds about right. Lots of dips and variety to tempt people's appetites.
How do you make cold cut wraps?

Well I'm really hungry right now, any of it ready? I'd love to come right over Wink
Use flour tortilla wraps, smear condiment/s of your choice, layer just bit of thin sliced veggies and add cold cuts - overall not too much so you can still wrap the tortillas tightly. Cut in half on the diagonal. Arrange on a platter.

debsey

Post Tue, Oct 14 2014, 10:52 pm
I just made awesome chic pea soup (Marcella Hazan's) and stuffed manicotti (from BY cookbook) husband wanted stuffed cabbage for Hoshana Rabbah meal but I told him I'd rather stuff pasta than check cabbage! Stuffed is stuffed! C'mon over. It smells yum!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 1:19 am
debsey wrote:
I just made awesome chic pea soup (Marcella Hazan's) and stuffed manicotti (from BY cookbook) husband wanted stuffed cabbage for Hoshana Rabbah meal but I told him I'd rather stuff pasta than check cabbage! Stuffed is stuffed! C'mon over. It smells yum!
Yum, yum, I am heading right over Tongue Out

sky

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 8:30 am
Is this for a 3rd day yom tov shabbos meal?

What about potato kugel in the oven overnight in addition to the cholent.

deena19k

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 8:39 am
How about a sweet kugel? Cherry crumble or blueberry apple kugel are both delicious.

debsey

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 10:03 am
deena19k wrote:
How about a sweet kugel? Cherry crumble or blueberry apple kugel are both delicious.

Served cold, you mean? I should have some leftover. I'm making Jamie Geller's apple-cran kugel and a blueberry cobbler. Maybe I can cut them up and put them out.
Wow, you guys are awesome!

debsey

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 10:04 am
sky wrote:

sky wrote:

I like this idea! My oven will be on anyway. I have some frozen potato kugels in my freezer. Do you know how to turn one into an overnight kugel? Pan of water in bottom of oven and water over the top of the kugel, right?

debsey

blueberrypie

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 9:16 pm
debsey wrote:

Can I please have the recipe for fudge pie (if you still have it)? Sounds really good, so does Bissli salad, I'm going to search for that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus