Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO Something Different to do with Chicken Bottoms

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:19 pm
I've been baking the chicken bottoms (legs and thighs) ad nauseum. Is there anything different I can do with it? Please advise. Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:28 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
I've been baking the chicken bottoms (legs and thighs) ad nauseum. Is there anything different I can do with it? Please advise. Thanks.
How do you usually bake them? Roasted with spices, with sweet sauce, savory sauce, breaded, stuffed?
If we know what you usually do we can advise you on something different.

mommy1108

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:29 pm
I use boneless chicken thighs to make schwarma which is delicious but I'm assuming youre talking about on the bone.

I made a spinoff of something I saw once in Mishpacha. It's like a potato kugel stuffed chicken (though instead of stuffing potato kugel mixture under the skins I also put it all around the chicken. Because bottoms are so fatty it keeps everything so moist.

So I season them with oil, paprika, salt (or seasoned salt), pepper, onion and garlic powder and then make a potato kugel (shredded potato kind not processed kind) but instead of baking I put under the skins and around the pieces of chicken and bake. It's a two in one! Maybe add less egg to the kugel recipe though. Like I do 1 or 2 eggs instead of 4 for 7-9 medium potatoes

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:30 pm
Usually baked with sauce. I would bread it, is it patchke?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:41 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
Usually baked with sauce. I would bread it, is it patchke?

Not a patchke.
Season few tablespoons of mayo very generously with spices.
Toss chicken pieces with the mayo until evenly coated. (I like the separate the thighs and legs and off the skin, but it's not necessary.)
Dredge each piece on all sides in cornflake crumbs (you can do this one piece at a time in a large zipper bag, close, and shake until coated.)
Arrange pieces on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray tops with oil spray.
Bake uncovered at 375 for 1 hour (maybe 15 min more if you didn't separate thighs and legs).
Juicy on the inside, crunchy on the outside.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:43 pm
You can bread with corn flake crumbs, it's very easy. Pat dry with papertowel. Dip in egg, dip in cornflake crumbs. Drizzle with honey. Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or 1 hour 15 min.

I have a very good recipe if you like crispy onions. Basically you mix oil and spices in a Ziploc bag. Slice onion into rings and mix it with the oil. Put some onions under the chicken, the rest on top. Bake it first covered, then uncovered. The onions on top get very crispy and the chicken gets a very good flavor from the onion. I can give exact spice amounts and baking times if you're interested. I just have to go look it up.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:47 pm
This all sounds delicious. thank you!

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 1:59 pm
Curry Chicken

Clean a whole chicken cut in eighths or the equivalent amount of chicken bottoms (I remove the skin). Pour some breadcrumbs in a bag and season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and curry powder. Dampen chicken and shake in the breadcrumbs until coated. Place the chicken skin side up in a greased pan. Bake uncovered at 400 for 25 minutes. In the meantime, mix together the following:

1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
1 heaping tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup lemon juice

After the 25 minutes, don't remove the chicken from the oven. Pull the pan out far enough that you can pour the curry mixture over the chicken. Make sure to cover each piece. Bake for an additional 30 minutes.

This recipe works for cutlets as well. Just decrease the amount of time in the oven.

shaini

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:19 am
I also do the very similar to glutenless but I add garlic powder to the cornflake crumbs and omit the honey and its delicious. Comes out super moist and it's so, so easy.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 26 2014, 12:45 am
I slice an onion and put it order the breaded chicken. It gets deliciously caramelized.

Before making chicken I ask
Sweet or savory?
Sauce, breading or spices?

Put bbq sauce on bake it till done then broil until it's a little charred
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey